Sharing Atom X

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
wisp

Sharing Atom X

Post by wisp » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Each day there are between 30 to 40 people online to this site and I'm sure not all of them will be at the Atom X event over the next few days. I'm also certain that those that can not attend would still love to share in the event as it happens, rather than wait for posts and photos to surface days after it's all over.

With the modern technologies of internet access on your smart phone, face book mobile and twitter there is no reason why those that are unfortunate enough not to be able to attend can not be given the opportunity to share in your happiness.

Please, please, please give some thought to your Atom brothers that may be stuck down in the South Pacific, the US of A, Europe and other parts of the globe. Regular updates on here and social networking sites will be loved by many.

Have a safe and fantastic time and please remember to share the experience.

benyeats

Re: Sharing Atom X

Post by benyeats » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 pm

So far so good, got down here in pretty good time with Rob Evans, OXO, Flying trotter, feisty Columbian and Honda Hamster closely followed by CalScot and the mrs.

Saw Atoms at every turn once we were close to Crewkerne and even caught a glimpse of the 500 (not for long)  loads of Atomites are here and just back from a good meal and drink (hence the spelling)

More tomorrow

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:27 am

Thanks Ben :tu:  :tu:  :tu:

I, and I'm sure others as well, will look forward to more reports.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:16 am

[quote="benyeats"]
So far so good, got down here in pretty good time with Rob Evans, OXO, Flying trotter, feisty Columbian and Honda Hamster closely followed by CalScot and the mrs.

Saw Atoms at every turn once we were close to Crewkerne and even caught a glimpse of the 500 (not for long)  loads of Atomites are here and just back from a good meal and drink (hence the spelling)
More tomorrow
Ben
[/quote]

Well done Ben, the roving reporter!
Still kicking myself.

Cheers wattie

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:10 am

OK somewhat more sober now time for a quick comment on

[quote="wisp"]
With the modern technologies of internet access on your smart phone, face book mobile and twitter
[/quote]

which made me laugh a bit, the Internet down here seems to be two chaps holding a carrot up and hoping information turns up, I spent a lot of yesterday reading aloud to the locals from the newspaper, I think they have made me mayor.

Anyway off to the factory in a moment for the day's activities, updates as and when my mobile 'phone works (does not seem to be all that often in these parts)

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:30 am

[quote="benyeats"]
which made me laugh a bit, the Internet down here seems to be two chaps holding a carrot up and hoping information turns up, I spent a lot of yesterday reading aloud to the locals from the newspaper, I think they have made me mayor.

Anyway off to the factory in a moment for the day's activities, updates as and when my mobile 'phone works (does not seem to be all that often in these parts)

Ben
[/quote]

Idiots! I hope you told them that for modern protocols and bit rates they need a turnip.

So does that make you Lord Mayor Yeats or Mayor, Lord Yeats?

Unbelievable, it sounds like NZ must have far superior rural cellular coverage. Tell them a COW does not necessarily mean those mad things on hoofs.

Keep up the good work.  :tu:

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 pm

I believe in somerset the computer hasn't been invented yet as the only people i've seen using wifi are the ones that have brought there laptops from home. I've also seen a shop that still sells fujifilm!  Its like going back in time and being a kid again.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:15 pm

atom 500 pic

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:54 pm

I have been posting on: twitter.com/fiestycolumbian , my whole trip in europe.

I have lots of pics of Atom X and Atom V8 that I will post later today.

fiesty

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Got to the factory about 10:00am. blue skies and sunshine ! Over the next hour or so, 45 Atoms arrived and were parked up, 3 or 4 continental ones too.

Tom explained the proceedings for the day. A team of 4 engineers started a build from scratch at about 10:15am wiyh a b;ack chassis, Alcon fronts, sports rears and a 300 motor. Looked like they had a time lapse camera filming the whole event. Coffee and Tea was available as well as barrel of English Bitter, and 2 barrels of Somerset Cider - medium and dry. A sandwich van arrived about 12:15 to feed the hungry crowd. music was playing from a very fancy old-fashioned juke box.

It was amazing to see so many cars in one place - If ever you wanted to see what all the options looked like with all the various colours etc this was the place to be!

There were quite a few celebrities present, Mark Swain (I think) from TMI, Pete (Calscot), Shinoo, and Fiesty Coumbian (I think) etc - Oh and I met Bruce for the first time!

I asked Bruce how he got interested in Atoms all those years ago and he tod me who some of the original pioneers were ..

After lunch, prior to the start of the treasure hunt, Tom and one of the engineers went through some basic but essential topics on looking after the car, servicing etc.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:33 pm

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
I have been posting on: twitter.com/fiestycolumbian , my whole trip in europe.

I have lots of pics of Atom X and Atom V8 that I will post later today.

fiesty
[/quote]

I've had a look. They are great. Many Thanks. Keep them coming.  :tu:

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:36 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
blue skies and sunshine !

[/quote]

Excellent.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm

They demod this on an actual car and gave some advice on how to treat the car with respect and mechanical sympathy when on a track day. One useful fact was that it was more important to change the gearbox oil after a few track days than the engine oil.

Simon and Tom were asked lots of questions re the V8. I didn't catch it all (not nosey enough!) but it seems that 6th gear is good for 170mph and Jeremy Clarkson drove it at Imola for his up and coming Christmas DVD and refused to wear a helmet in order to achieve the face contorting visuals he's well known for! This didn't go down too well with those 'responsible' for his well-being.

The V8 was unveiled to cheers and applause. It looks well with its gold chassis and side pods - not much different from the original pictures. The instrument panel looks like it's been stolen from a Ferrari. There's a large display panel surrounded by switches for wet/dry, launch control etc etc. The tea tray is a gorgeous carbon fibre feast. You cannot see much of the engine, the silencer/muffler is a gold colour. The most obvious difference that you immedilately spot is that the shock absorbers are a la ohlins. There also appears to be an additional air intake under the normal one in the snorkel. Tom said that the shock absorbers and sequential gearbox could be developed for use in the 300 (say)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:42 pm

One of 2 customised helmets available
Attachments
ariel1helmet138.jpg

John Scherrer
Global Moderator