Your first time

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
benyeats

Your first time

Post by benyeats » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:33 am

Inspired by John H's post on another thread

[quote="John H"]
I was also trying to remember how I felt when I first went in an ATom (this one in fact) for the first time. I absolutlely hated it because it was the middle of January at 8 am and bloody freezing...........it was also terrifying as I had never had such a sensory overload: the noise, the speed, the wind, etc tc. PLus it was a bit damp and slidey.....................my face had frozen by the time I got back and I was shaking like a leaf. I just had to have it!
[/quote]

The first time I drove my car it was freezing, snowing on and off and I was totally unprepared in terms of clothing.  Just got a blast up and down the service road at Bruntingthorpe including being sprayed by gravel by a passing lorry.  Was shivering with cold, probably expelling quite a lot of snot, but the noise and the power.......like John I had to have it.

Second time was also my first outing on a track, again Bruntingthorpe and had it all to myself !

So how was your first time ?

Ben

AtomFun

Re: Your first time

Post by AtomFun » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:16 pm

I remember it well!

I'd ordered my Atom before seeing one in the flesh and after watching the Top Gear programme Boxing Day 2004. The forum was then part of Pistonheads and I gleaned a lot of info from the 13 or so contributors :) I did have a passenger ride with JL.

It was a sunny day when I travelled to the factory. It was all rather quaint and main workshop could only accomodate 3 Atoms at a push, it had a rather 'special' feel to it. Signed the disclaier and excess forms and then Tom took me out for a short drive through the Somerset countryside.

I don't often use the phrase 'Jesus Christ' but JESUS CHRIST, it was alarming! I'd never accellerated so fast in my life and we overtook other cars when there was no chance of survival!Eventually, Tom pulled into a side road and pulled up, it was my turn. I was shaking with shock and excitement as Tom and I exchanged seats. I gingerly edge forward to the junction and pressed the brake pedal to stop - YIKES, there were NO brakes!!! It had been a long time since I'd driven a car without a servo  :doh:

Gave a little on the throttle and turned right onto the main road. The power was so spontaneous, the back end nearly went through 360 degrees! For the rest of the journey back to the 'factory', the £2500 xcess kept coming to my mind  :o Needless to say, I drove back rather more soberly than on the outbound journey.

I collected my Atom 5th November 2005

..... and I've enjoyed it every day since.  :tu:

and so has Angie

Fortunately, I had more luck on my journey home than this owner! He'd just collected his brand new Atom from the factory and just a few miles down the road, this happens

He'd no mobile phone signal so walked to the nearest phone box to call the factory for rescue. When he returned to his Atom, someone had stolen his Willans harnesses.
What a day!
Last edited by AtomFun on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Back in 2000, I drove down to North Perrot on a gorgeous mid-summer afternoon and met Simon at the barn, next to his house. Tucked in there was the Atom 1 demo car, all kinds of development bits and pieces and a full scale drawing of the car stuck to one wall.

We had a chat (about superchargers ironically), Simon took me for a run down the Somerset lanes, and then we swapped places.

I had an edgy, nervous drive back to the barn, but it was enough. Like everyone else on here, it's a 'gotta have it' moment. I'd driven Caterhams and Elises and as great as they are, the Atom looked the part, had more driver room and was a much better proposition for the track, despite the nervous handling that characterised the early cars. We didn't make it any easier on ourselves by speccing 16 inch front and 17 inch rear wheels.

I remember spinning it badly on my first airfield day, tunnelling into some 5ft high grass and coming out the other side, with a cockpit full of crap, seeds and insects.

Somewhere is a collection photo...
Attachments
june-01.gif
june-01.gif (74.41 KiB) Viewed 959 times
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

John H

Post by John H » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Gutted...............just flogged my Atom. I took Mark, the new owner up to Spitalfields market so he could experience the wow factor from punters..............surrounded within seconds. Then we went out by City Airport for a blast................that's all u need eh?
Sold!
He is a lovely bloke and I am looking forward to his participation on the forum.
He got a very cool car at a good price and if he has half as much fun in it as I have had, then he'll never regret buying it.
He lives in Gosport if we have any other owners down that way??????????????????
cheers

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Congratulations on the sale John !

I bet you're in two minds - pleased it's sold and the money is in the bank and you can look forward to the new one, but 'only' that mis-firing Jap machine to drive now  ;)

John
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:29 pm

I had followed Ariel since it was started and always wanted one. I remember the original article in Autocar back at the start. I just loved the concept.

I finally got to a stage where I could get one and had a ride in Bungle's car (sorry dont remember your real name). It was the 160 and it was fantastic !! That was my must have moment. The next week I noticed the factory had a 160 for sale (just back on sale due to the person struggling with funds) so bought it over the phone without seeing or driving it. Been addicted ever since. Ordered a new one within a few months and collected my 300 last September.

I love my Atom.

Trigger
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:41 pm

???
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:20 am

I had ordered my Atom in late December '06, and the build process had just begun in April '07 when Karl picked me up in his Atom at a hotel I was staying at in San Jose.  We didn't go too far, but far enough to give me a sense of what was in store!  Acceleration?  Check!  Braking?  Check!  Cornering?  Check!  All in about a half mile up the road and back.  The acceleration was completely mind boggling to me.  It didn't scare me as such, but definitely took my breath away.  I've since learned that being a passenger in an Atom is a much more difficult role to play than being a driver.  When the wheels isn't in your hands and you don't have control of the pedals, it's an anything goes experience and seems out of control.

My first driving experience was at Brammo when I arrived to pick up my Atom (after lifting the cover to unveil it).  Again, I didn't go far, just around the outer perimeter of their facility and down the road a mile or so, but it was a complete buzz.  Tom asked me not to push it too hard (to keep peace with the neighborhood), but I couldn't help myself.  There is simply no way to describe how amazing that sense of power and control is - you just have to experience it yourself.

deepdurks

Post by deepdurks » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi, It's been two months now since my first time, I bought John H's 220, he was it's true to say, sad to see it go.
My intention has always been to drive the Atom as often as possible, work commute, business trips, family visits and any day the weather was suitable. I have put 1500 miles on the clock, mostly in the rain! all my family have now ridden in it and even some workmates, it is very amusing watching the frantic braking action from the uninitiated passenger, anyone else seen the same?
As my confidence has built, the envelope has been nudged just a little too close on occasion, a 270 degree spin on a roundabout in the wet at 15 MPH! has taught me to seriously respect the wet (even damp) roads. No interface occurred with motors or the scenery, just a lot of air conditioned poofters laughing.
After a series of flat battery incidents, probably due to very short distance runs, i have fitted a 12v connector at the back of the car that allows me to connect a Solar Panel charger while the car is under its cover.
A noise test awaits next week at Goodwood and from there I shall work out a trackday programme, really becoming quite excited. I will continue to drive through the winter, the cold is no problem but the wet is a totally different matter.

Every drive is still like the first time!  'A SMILE A MILE'

regards DeepDurks
3.5 300, MX5 and 16,000 tons of nuclear deterrent

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:00 pm

My Atom's been busted now for two months. We have had some perfect weather and it's driving me nuts not being able to go for a drive. I have been able to get my speed fix from the F2000 car I now have but it's not the same as chasing the sportbikes over Ortega Hwy early Saturday morning. After two years, every time I get in the Atom it is all smiles and pure adrenalin. I should be getting the engine next week and that means it will be running next weekend. Kind of like waiting to get it for the first time. The big difference being it's torture knowing what I am missing :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:18 am

I envy you. There are few places here I can enjoy the Atom without risking my drivers license. Not to mention the rather wet and cold weather year round.....and 5 months of winter hibernation  :P :P

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:46 am

Sounds like the perfect early xmas present Peter.  :tu:

I have 1200 miles or so left on my insurance this year.. sitting at about 16,800 miles.  Drive to work twice last week.. it was in the 30s, but it was dry, so why not, right?  :D

sebby

Post by sebby » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:02 pm

I lost my Atom virginity with Tom Siebert.
I phoned up on a Saturday morning in October 2005 and said that I was going to be passing on my way to Bristol and could I pop in to have a look at the factory.
Was amazed at how small the set up actually was in the garage at North Perrott. I met Tom and Simon.
Tom said he'll take me out for a spin in the demonstrator (a 220 in those days) - I wasn't expecting that. He then said that if the road was dry enough he'd let me drive back (I think I might have been a little turned on at that point (please excuse the vulgarity)).
So out we went. The autumn air was crisp but not too cold and the road just a tad moist, but not wet.
I knew that I was in for something different because as we left and turned right out of the gate towards Crewkerne, Tom said, "Just let me know if you want me to slow down". I've used that line on a number of passengers since, particularly the big blokes who think they can take it.
Once we were out on the open road, Tom opened the throttle. Oh dear Lord. At that point I honestly thought I was going to die. I had absolutely no idea of just how many sense were going to be obliterated in such a short space of time. Tom, it would seem, did not believe in stopping for corners to see if there were large agricultural-type vehicles heading in the opposite direction. I have to admit the the following thought went through my head - This fella has fallen out with his Missus this morning and decided to take his life and mine at the same time.
It was only when Tom slowed down to 30 to go through one of the villages that I banished my fear of impending demise and started to enjoy the ride.
After about ten minutes we pulled over and Tom gave me the controls. I was ridicullously careful. In fairness I was terrified. At the same time I was falling rapidly in love with this magical little missile.
The smile was stuck to my face as we arrived back at the factory and I tore off my helmet.
I told Ruth we were going to have to get one. So we did.
Sadly, a year after getting my 160 I had to sell it. I admit I cried a little that night when I got home.
I pick up my Atom 3 245 on the 19th (hopefully). I've not slept properly for a week or so........

HaileyJohnson

Post by HaileyJohnson » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:12 am

I am 17 years old then when I first drive an Atom.  My family bought me a 1st driving experience for my birthday. I went to Rockingham race circuit near Corby. My family came and watched all the things going on while I had an introduction talk. I then got to drive an Atom around cones in the car park. My family had a go on some of the other things happening at the time and took lots of photos of me. I had a great afternoon and I'm very thankful of that present.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 am

It's been a MONTH i haven't drive the Atom... What a sinful pleasure it is every time!

Had to cut it short because of the return of the rain and it was slippery but i still couldn't stop roarring all i could just to get a headfull!