Garage car lift

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
apr1962

Re: Garage car lift

Post by apr1962 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:52 am

I quite fancy one of these. Do you need to dig up the garage floor to ensure it’s strong enough or would my garage floor be ok as is.

Thanks
Andrew

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat May 16, 2020 9:48 am

AlanP wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:37 am Morning chaps!
I really fancy getting one of these. Is there any real inherent advantage in the 4 post vs the 2 post?
Any thoughts?
A
The 4 post lift allows you to store cars underneath it, quite useful if you are in short supply of garages and have more than 1 car.

The 2 post allow you to work on the car, i.e. take the wheels off and work on the brakes without a jack, unlike the 4 post lift. But, the 2 post is designed not to suspend your car for long periods, it's not mean't to take the weight of a car overnight for example unlike a 4 post lift.

So they both serve 2 different purposes in my view.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat May 16, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks Simon.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 am

I really fancy getting one of these. Is there any real inherent advantage in the 4 post vs the 2 post?
Any thoughts?
A

4 post is with ramps, so quicker and easier, but takes a lót more space!

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Sat May 16, 2020 12:44 pm

speedmachine wrote:
Any thoughts?
A

Have a look at the twin busch 1 post lift. Just fitted mine its brilliant. I was concerned about the bar that connects the outer legs. Thought it would get in the way but masses of room. If i went for a 2post lift i could only get 2 cars in but with the 1 poster i can get 3 inImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sat May 16, 2020 1:38 pm

I note on the twin Busch site that concrete below the the 1 post lift should be a minimum of 200mm / 8 inches. My garage slab plus screed is 6 to 7 inches. The 1 post can lift 2.5 tons. Since I will only be lifting half ton atom, 6 inch slab thickness should be ok? Or do I need to reinforce?

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Sat May 16, 2020 1:50 pm

GraemeW wrote:I note on the twin Busch site that concrete below the the 1 post lift should be a minimum of 200mm / 8 inches. My garage slab plus screed is 6 to 7 inches. The 1 post can lift 2.5 tons. Since I will only be lifting half ton atom, 6 inch slab thickness should be ok? Or do I need to reinforce?
The single post lifts are inherently stable due to the design of them. They do a mobile version and a fixed version. The mobile one is wheeled around using a pallet trolley and not secured at all. Ur 6/7 inches will be more than adequate esp when lifting a fifth of its limitImage

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sat May 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Alistairbuchanan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:44 pm
speedmachine wrote:
Any thoughts?
A

Have a look at the twin busch 1 post lift. Just fitted mine its brilliant. I was concerned about the bar that connects the outer legs. Thought it would get in the way but masses of room. If i went for a 2post lift i could only get 2 cars in but with the 1 poster i can get 3 inImage

Do you have a pic of where you place the stands with the 1 post? I thought it had not enough reach to go from engine chassis bar to front wheel

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Tue May 19, 2020 5:13 pm

speedmachine wrote:
Alistairbuchanan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:44 pm
speedmachine wrote:

Do you have a pic of where you place the stands with the 1 post? I thought it had not enough reach to go from engine chassis bar to front wheel
Dont have my 4 yet! There are 2 bars that u buy to link the pads to allow the lift to work. They are listed below the lifts on their web site

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue May 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Alistairbuchanan wrote:
speedmachine wrote:
Any thoughts?
A

Do you have any pics with the car elevated?