Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
GraemeW

Re: Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Post by GraemeW » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm

phil4 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 pm
Ariel isn't a charity, your best mate nor a religion
Pretty close to a religion for me...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Digger wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm
:) :tu:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Here's a link to a post I made earlier this year - maybe this was the traction control concept being tested?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16989&p=287486&hilit=abs#p287486
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

IanG

Post by IanG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:22 pm

I think it's the time to chip in on this one ;D

IMO it's not a £39,975 car because you still need to pay
£358.80 IVA Test
£310.00 Road Tax
Total without any options £40643.80
To be able to drive it on the road which I would of thought would be included in the price
I know it's sold as a track day car ,but would you not want to drive it to the track and back.

I also must be missing the point as to the Aero screen £190.80 :H:
So with my 100% mark up £20.
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG (439.25 KiB) Viewed 669 times
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG (790.82 KiB) Viewed 669 times

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:33 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 pm Here's a link to a post I made earlier this year - maybe this was the traction control concept being tested?
Thanks John!!! I found it odd that none of the international bits required ABS, but they did need auto headlights for example (I can only guess that's why it has it btw). But yes, could well have been, or the testing lingered in their minds and they had a lightbulb moment when doing the new car.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 pm

The Atom '3' versions were £106.80 a pair !
Attachments
gun sight_hires (Medium).jpg
gun sight_hires (Medium).jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm

irg100 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:22 pm I think it's the time to chip in on this one ;D

IMO it's not a £39,975 car because you still need to pay
£358.80 IVA Test
£310.00 Road Tax
Total without any options £40643.80
To be able to drive it on the road which I would of thought would be included in the price
I know it's sold as a track day car ,but would you not want to drive it to the track and back.
Fair point :) On the tax front, I know they don't include the first road tax against the 40K threshold, but not sure about the IVA. But equally I know that's not what everyone here with worries about :)

But you do make a good point on calling it a 39,975 car.... but then have we been spoiled by the "on the road prices" that have become far far more widespread and the norm? Not saying you're wrong at all btw.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Back to the spec

I think the factory should provide people some pictures of some of the options.

Lots of it is impossible to understand without seeing it and its a long way for many of us to Crewkerne.

Can you help Henry?
Last edited by Peter255 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

IanG

Post by IanG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 pm

The Atom '3' versions were £106.80 a pair !
Fair point John
Not sure how as a spare part they are a tenner each :doh:

Anon

Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Post by Anon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm

phil4 wrote:
Hedge wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm I do wonder why some on here are buying an Atom. The level of general distrust - for want of a better word - towards Ariel is a joke. Go buy another car, if you're that unhappy.
I'm not sure there's much distrust in the posts, disagreement perhaps, but that's everyone's prerogative. Ariel isn't a charity, your best mate nor a religion. It is a money making company however. Should we trust them to make a great car? Sure. But should we trust them to do it at cost? No, don't be silly. If they think they can make more money, then they will and should. That's what a company does.

Reg's point is a good one. We know how great the car is when it's got lots of options. But we don't yet know the level of greatness at the base 40K mark.

Did we expect it to cost more? Yes, I think if you read back a few pages we were indeed speculating on how much more, and what cost we'd expect. This sort of debate is healthy, and provided it doesn't become a slanging match, or get too off track, I don't see why it shouldn't continue.

Do I like the cars? heck yeah. Will I buy another? too right. But at the end of the day, I'm handing my hard earned pennies over to a company, and it's not unreasonable to question what we get for those pennies and debate what the right choices are etc.
You make a very good point here, absolutely without a doubt. I think Ariel are in a place they where they have a brand that no longer needs to be proven, in other words they don't need people to drive their product in order to get business - clearly as there is a 2 year waiting list for the 4. This is almost similar to Ferrari with the 488 or Porsche with the GT2 and GT3 and those guys are very selective in who can actually buy a car let alone test drive one.

Take the latest edition of Evo magazine I read this evening. There is a piece on the Atom 4 that is very interesting but there is nothing new that has not been publicly talked about on the internet already. There is however another article comparing the 620R, Elemental Rp1 and the Ariel Atom 3.5R.

They took all 3 cars around Anglesey in Wales. Bearing in mind, the Rp1 is a £140k car, although new, it did a best lap time of 1:13.2 the 620R (£52k car) did 1:14.2 and the Atom they quoted £64k - although it has to be marginally more because it has the sequential box, Ohlins TTX, Alcons etc. but it was fastest with a 1:12.3 which incidentally is 2 tenths behind the GT2 RS ~£230k car in a previous Evo test - I assume the same driver in similar track conditions, at least one would hope. Put this into context, a much cheaper car less than half the price of a Rp1 is faster and so close to a car costing more than 3 times as much you could argue the Atom could cost more. I don't consider £230k affordable for me but I do consider a £60k toy affordable with cash so each to their own. I'm happy with the price list for what is on offer.

That said, for the same price you could have a Radical SR3 RS or SL or a Ultima Evo (quite decent spec) all of which I have considered as a priority many times. But the Atom I think is the car to have out of those for now.

Simon

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Simon,

The thing is the 3.5R with sequential is NOT £64k.
A quick look at Ariels site shows a second hand 3 year old 3.5R with sequential box, Ohlins, Alcons, mag wheels etc for sale @ £85k!
£20K more than the quoted price for a 3 year old car!
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 pm

simonrhart wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm but I do consider a £60k toy affordable with cash so each to their own. I'm happy with the price list for what is on offer.
Well that's gravy then :D

No, really, it's good you're happy with it :D :tu:

reg

Post by reg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm

simonrhart wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm those guys are very selective in who can actually buy a car let alone test drive one.
On that note alone, I would like to tell you a story. Years ago a mid 30's bloke who had a half decent job and some disposable income went to speak to Porsche about a 911. He booked an appointment, for a Sunday, which was really inconvenient but the car in question was 'the one'. Upon arrival the guy he had booked the appointment with was 'ill'. Nobody seemed that interested and he was left on his own. When he left he thanked the young lady for the coffee, and it was a nice coffee, then went home. The next day he mailed the 'Sales Manager' and expressed his disappointment, the reply was gushing, apologetic, but the damage was done.

A year I drove my NSX-R to the same dealer, a bit Julia Roberts I grant you but it made me smile. I also emailed Porsche GB about the experience and sent them pictures of the car, which was going to be a GT spec 911 but was now very Honda shaped :D They sent me a hamper and an xmas card. I'll never buy a Porsche from an OPC now no matter what, it just struck me that they didn't care, the hamper was decent though :D

Managing expectations is what everyone has to do. Whether you are Microsoft, or Joe Bloggs, customers remain the lifeblood. Being frank, some of the most f :ocking annoying customers I have ever dealt with have taught me the most, at the time I couldn't see it but it all ebbs and flows. I hope the forum remains open enough to be able ask questions and nobody takes offence from anything, it's about the business of buying cars after all right?

reg

Post by reg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Digger wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm
I have seen God twice in mine :'(

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Peter255 wrote:Simon,

The thing is the 3.5R with sequential is NOT £64k.
A quick look at Ariels site shows a second hand 3 year old 3.5R with sequential box, Ohlins, Alcons, mag wheels etc for sale @ £85k!
£20K more than the quoted price for a 3 year old car!
The on the road price new for this car is nearly £92k so to be fair, no wait and a £7k saving isn’t terrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk