Intrax ARC update

reg

Re: Intrax ARC update

Post by reg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 pm

So the car was finally gathered up in one piece today. I'll expand on things in the blog widget...

How things should end up.....

[img width=576 height=768]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/493/32310066325_e73e82fae0_k.jpg[/img]

Which they did, apart from a suspiciously large hex head bolt with three washers and a Nyloc. What had been missed, surely not suspension? It was the rear light  ;D

Another question I had was the ride height, measuring the rear bar it was way out. Obviously as it turns out you need to measure the front one, behind the fuel tank.

MOT next and then we'll see......
'he was reet fast'

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:31 am

They sell them in Waitrose !?      ;D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

reg

Post by reg » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:03 am

Yes, just down the aisle from the kumquats ;)
'he was reet fast'

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:31 am

What's the final verdict on these Reg?

Are you happy and money well spent?

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

reg

Post by reg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi Stu,

Yes, I'm waiting to write a blog thing but basically they do what they say on the tin. I haven't used it in anger in the dry properly but so far it's been compliant in a way I wouldn't have thought possible previously, it is better than the daily car in many respects! The money had to be spent as the previous setup was basically 90% race, outside of the mega stiff setup window the dampers just started doing really sh1t things. If you backed them off you got a better (but still pretty rigid) ride quality but also chronic under steer and a mobile rear! I have some more settings which are firmer to try, at the moment it's not needed.

The next step is to book a track day somewhere. It's a weird feeling to get used to as my brain is telling me soft equals an out of control mess as we go faster, I need to explore them in an environment I can push it and find out what it all does. Before you could get it out of shape reasonably easily on a bumpy(ish) road, now not so much. All the settings will stay as is, only the main adjustment is needed to firm things up so they're not really that scary to work with. The car is due in for a service so I'll ask them to check the geometry. The tyres are being changed to V70A's, the 888's (soft) on the front are just too hard IMO, it's not possible to get super soft.

Perhaps then someone at the factory will take it out and give me some feedback, I have only known Atom's for 3000 miles and limited to Intrax and 80 miles of Bilstein, so it's difficult to say exactly how good this is, I'm realistic, and an engineer so not precious about asking questions. It'd be easy to sit back and say this is the 'best thing since sliced bread', and from where it was it is, no question. They have delivered upon their promises and I have the data from the other owner which has been invaluable, he continues to develop his own setup. and the track side of it really should be the easy part as everything has loads of headroom to be stiffened up. If it ever got to the point where I felt I needed more we just change springs, I very much doubt this will ever happen knowing how it drives at the moment.

A long winded 'yes'  ;D
'he was reet fast'

PhillipM

Post by PhillipM » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:56 pm

So long as the damping is on point, soft is fast on track. And way more entertaining  :vroom:  ;D

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi Reg,

Thanks for the update, it's always interesting to hear how things are when you try something new!

Well that sounds like it's definitely more confidence inspiring than previously, which obviously is a great step forward.

How they deliver on track will be really interesting to hear. I've just got mine back from a full geo set-up change at the Factory, where they have increased the spring rates front and rear and put the 3.5R settings on it. I've also switched over to the Khumos and the difference at Silverstone was night and day! I could also run the car slightly softer than before, which made it much more compliant.

The handling has been completely transformed and you can now lean on the tyres, which instead of slipping, seem to just grip and grip. I can for the first time ever, simply turn the car into a corner and it sticks. I also tried it at Spa last week, and although it was stupid wet (9 red flags in the morning! :o) the car still gripped very well when pushing. That said, I was driving like a baby.

I'll look forward to hearing what yours is like when you've had a chance to properly push on!!

All the best.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris