New rear wing

Rocket Man

New rear wing

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:03 am

I have just imported a CF wing from china, only problem is the mounting points as not factory standard. I have just been making a timber mock up prior to cutting and bending some alli plate to make it all work. At under £200 delivered not a bad item, not the quality of the last one i had but that was a genuine F1 item from a BAR Honda

Rocket Man

Re: New rear wing

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:21 am

i have pictures but having a bit a problem uploading them. this photo hosting needs sorting to make it better
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 175 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 203 times

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:30 am

:( cant open file  - windows10
is it smaller than 512kb?

Stew

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:15 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
I have just imported a CF wing from china, only problem is the mounting points as not factory standard. I have just been making a timber mock up prior to cutting and bending some alli plate to make it all work. At under £200 delivered not a bad item, not the quality of the last one i had but that was a genuine F1 item from a BAR Honda
[/quote]

Shows how much margin is in them, from other places! All you need to do is to spec up a design to mach the mountings and order 10 and get them even cheaper!

Look forward to seeing it  :tu: :tu:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:41 pm

You've posted an attachment (photo) of a paperclip !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

will smith

Post by will smith » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:54 am

Would be good to see the shape/size of the wing, also do they do front wings?
At £200, they are cheap and worth having as a spare
If we are doing a bulk buy, put me doŵn for one of each!

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:39 pm

[quote="will smith"]
[/quote]

a bulk buy, this would be a good type of project for the club to do for the good of its members. any good owners club should in my opinion try to produce or have produced aftermarket items at a reasonable cost for its members. a small profit for club funds and a service for its members

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:06 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
[quote="will smith"]
[/quote]

a bulk buy, this would be a good type of project for the club to do for the good of its members. any good owners club should in my opinion try to produce or have produced aftermarket items at a reasonable cost for its members. a small profit for club funds and a service for its members
[/quote]

A word of caution. I used to run group buys for a larger owners club and forum. They are notoriously hard to complete successfully without quality / cost issues. Suppliers are looking to bulk sales and there are few owners of such rare cars. There are also few after-market suppliers for the Atom.

Also what about the risk of failure? I wouldn't want to the club to be the indirect cause of a big potentially life threatening crash due to high speed wing failure. :(

As an aside I reckon we could be more successful with a group buy silly loud but cheap stainless sports silencer. That's pretty easy for someone to make up 10 or 20 of them (in the UK). If someone provides a template exhaust to an existing fabricator it should be pretty easy / cheap. Well easier than c/f wings....... IMO.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:47 pm

i do agree with your coments, i was not necessarily referring to wings. As you say stright through exhausts would be a good addition to a group buy and i am sure could be made up (excluding manifold) for about £200 or thereabouts. all we need is a template from a first one. i do intend to have one made but a bit caught up looking to move house at the moment so i am just playing when i get chance

alli radiator,
hot country radiator
i am sure there could be many more aftermarket bits that could be made
Last edited by Rocket Man on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:20 am

[quote="Peter255"]
[quote="Rocket Man"]
[quote="will smith"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

A word of caution. I used to run group buys for a larger owners club and forum. They are notoriously hard to complete successfully without quality / cost issues. Suppliers are looking to bulk sales and there are few owners of such rare cars. There are also few after-market suppliers for the Atom.

Also what about the risk of failure? I wouldn't want to the club to be the indirect cause of a big potentially life threatening crash due to high speed wing failure. :(

As an aside I reckon we could be more successful with a group buy silly loud but cheap stainless sports silencer. That's pretty easy for someone to make up 10 or 20 of them (in the UK). If someone provides a template exhaust to an existing fabricator it should be pretty easy / cheap. Well easier than c/f wings....... IMO.

[/quote]

Agreed with the issues of bulk production as well Pete, could be a few problems to be had. However, I am on the exhaust thing at the moment. We need to be a little careful with them as some exhaust fabricators which are franchised do not do mandrel bending for example which on a performance car would be a bad thing.

Sir Nick has obviously had his done at Infinity Exhausts and is very pleased with it. This would be my backup but I've currently found a company near Wraysbury who I'm interested to talk to as well. Look like a good outfit. Given the thoughts of a dyno day, making sure the backbox gives good performance is key too. I personally would like to see a different style of exhaust box which looks less bulky so am looking into that.

FWIW, I love the one that Ariel source. It sounds great but given they require an order of 5 to make it and it's cost, there is definitely space for another option. I would have bought one from the factory if they had any but have been waiting for so long now, I think I need to find another solution.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

KrisC2

Post by KrisC2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Sports exhausts don't have to be expensive, not to every ones taste but I knocked this out as a bit of a punt for around £100 just to get a feel for the noise. It has 2 3" slash cuts both with removable angled baffles in. Both in passes MOT, one out a bit raspy, both out very raspy, take the cat off and it will make your ears bleed  :tu:

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:48 pm

so were did you get the box/tail pipes?

KrisC2

Post by KrisC2 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:53 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
so were did you get the box/tail pipes?
[/quote]

The box was off evilbay, SS came pre polished. Tail pipes are just 3" SS tube cut to suit and bolted on. Link pipe was just a couple of old pipes knocking around which were mackled together.

You can buy a SS sports back box off the shelf same dimensions with single inlet and dual outlet very similar to stock for just over £50. Would just need an inlet link pipe and twin 90 tail pipes adding. May put it on my winter to do list but have other Atom projects so I'll see how time goes?