3.5 Upgrade

reg

3.5 Upgrade

Post by reg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHUKu6tBWMY

I am toying with the idea of adding the pods etc. Not going to go for the full deal with the sequential box as, I am too tight  ;D I stumbled across this clip which would seem to show exactly the spec I will end up with? Has anyone upgraded in the UK and kept the standard box, care to share your experiences at all?
'he was reet fast'

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: 3.5 Upgrade

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:38 pm

Are you just adding the pods or going for the 350 bhp mods with the additional radiators in the pods, but not having the sequential gearbox?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:06 am

Having had a long chat with an owner who had both the Ohlins and the Side pods with power upgrade done, he felt that the Ohlins provided more for the money.

Like so many things Atom, it depends on the way you use the car as to whether it's worth the dosh.

The pods do look utter gash after a couple of hard days though as they get the full force of road debris thrown at them. Figure on getting them taken off and repainted every year if you do go for them imo.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

reg

Post by reg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:05 am

I'm planning on the 350 upgrade but without the sequential gearbox. I already have Intrax and although had some issues at first the setup now is pretty good. I hear what you're saying about the paint, worth bearing in mind but not a total disaster in the great scheme of things.
'he was reet fast'

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 pm

You could try having them wrapped with a clear material like they use to protect the paint on some supercars.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

reg

Post by reg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:23 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
You could try having them wrapped with a clear material like they use to protect the paint on some supercars.
[/quote]
I am guessing the leading edges are the worst, maybe some 3M tape would work? The demo R at the factory looked fine when I last saw it, used but fine. Unless those pods are regularly spruced up?
'he was reet fast'

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:40 pm

[quote="reg"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
[/quote]
I am guessing the leading edges are the worst, maybe some 3M tape would work? The demo R at the factory looked fine when I last saw it, used but fine. Unless those pods are regularly spruced up?
[/quote]

I'm really not against the pods but I'm guessing that the pods on the demo car are resprayed after most Journo days.
The ones I saw had done two track days and were incredibly battered.
As you say, it's the leading edges that are the problem, which might benefit from being fabricated in something significantly more resistant to the cack that litters our roads.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris