Brake / clutch fluid

911tom

Brake / clutch fluid

Post by 911tom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:00 pm

I have noticed that one of the 3 reservoirs above the pedals is on the minimum line. Not spent much time looking at it but I presume all 3 pedals are hydraulic? Should this be topped up with normal dot4 brake fluid? Not noticed any leaks, my guess is based on the rest of the cars history they have not been checked for years!
If it is brakes then I may just do a complete flush, not that I've noticed any fade but I normally do one every 2 years on the Porka so no reason why the atom should not be the same.
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

phil4

Re: Brake / clutch fluid

Post by phil4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:21 pm

I can't help you with the brake fluid type.... but if you're seeing signs it's not been checked (I was going to say neglected, but think that's too harsh), it might be worth your while getting it over to Ariel for a proper service.  It's not dirt cheap, but they will go over the car with a fine-toothed comb, something I'd find reassuring personally.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Which reservoir is low? Assuming its not the clutch, have you checked pad wear? Could be that either the front or rear pads are getting low causing the fluid level in the respective reservoir to drop to compensate, especially as you question the cars history.
Atom 3 300

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:18 pm

It's not so much neglect. The previous owner unfortunately had a stroke so it has not been used for some time. Just double checked the reservoir and it is the brakes. I can not imagine that much fluid being displaced by worn pads. Think I will book it in with the factory for a service and general check over as suggested.
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Tom

I can heartily recommend a service at the factory - something I pre-booked and had done the day after my Atom was delivered by transporter to my door in Newbury from Scotland.

The full service took the better part of 2 days (and wasn't cheap but I had a lot done!) so I spent the night at the Haselbury Mill Hotel http://www.haselburymill.co.uk/ which is about 250 m from the Ariel factory - ask for an Ariel Owner's discount

- also don't forget that as a member of the Ariel Owners Club you also get a discount on a factory service and any required parts.

I changed all the tyres, all the fluids, lubricants, spark plugs, disc pads plus a full check over and spanner check etc etc and also had a TomTom 400 fitted (subsequently regretted the TomTom!!)

The care taken of my Atom plus 2 hours of test drives - with frequent returns to the factory to 'tweak' the suspension and set up - wreaked an amazing transformation of the car's handling for my return journey to Newbury.

When I bought the car it had a 'quick steering rack' (best for the track) fitted which quite frankly frightened me to death (it also came with the original standard rack in a box) - with the quick rack fitted if I coughed or sneezed the Atom twitched all over the road - so during the service the quick rack was swapped out for the original standard rack which, for me, is quite fast enough! They also discovered an unseen split in the sidewall of one of the front tyres which might have been lethal at anytime!

To my mind, given it's amazing performance, an un-maintained Atom is a bit like playing Russian roulette!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:39 pm

[quote="911tom"]
I can not imagine that much fluid being displaced by worn pads.
[/quote]

You'd be surprised how much fluid fills the space behind the caliper pistons & you may find your pads still have a fair bit of material remaining.

Stew

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:34 am

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
You'd be surprised how much fluid fills the space behind the caliper pistons & you may find your pads still have a fair bit of material remaining.
[/quote]
+1
When the pots are pushed back to replace pads there's a very noticeable rise in the reservoir level

Also, I fill my reservoirs exactly to the lines drawn on them. I don't use the lines as a min marker. This way it's very easy to see any fluctuation in levels.
Last edited by smokin on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 am

[quote="911tom"]
I presume all 3 pedals are hydraulic?
[/quote]
No, just brake and clutch. Two cylinders for brake and one for clutch
[quote="911tom"]
Should this be topped up with normal dot4 brake fluid?
[/quote]
Yes. Don't know which brand the factory use but topping up with any quality dot 4 will be fine
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 am

Saw this interesting Brake Bleed Jig/Tool in use at the factory yesterday ..

It allows the reservoirs to be higher up which helps bleeding and presumably allows them to get the brakes bled early whilst still allowing access behind the dash to later install wiring looms etc?
Attachments
IMAG1086s.jpg
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Anything to make pouring/not spilling brake fluid is always useful - cleaning up usually involves having to inadvertantly spread it about either by cloth, jetwash or other fluid cleaning. spreading it about is not good - especially when you think that where any drops may hide that may damage paintwork and/or plastic.
We use a vacuum bleed tool which works very well.

Stew