Supercharger started to be hesitant

Jamier27

Supercharger started to be hesitant

Post by Jamier27 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi all

Just got back from a wee blast and after a little stop I set off again and under power the car started "kangarooing" almost like the supercharger was switching on and off rapidly??
Car drove fine on gentle throttle and light supercharger spool but anything more than 1/4 throttle it was awful.
Stopped for song food and set off again 30mins later and was fine for the 40 mile return leg of the journey.

What would have caused this? 

Tried a search but can't find anything.
Thanks again
J

smokin

Re: Supercharger started to be hesitant

Post by smokin » Sat May 23, 2015 5:14 pm

Sounds like the ECU might have put you in to limp home mode. How high would it rev when jangarooing?
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Jamier27

Post by Jamier27 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:14 pm

It would Rev fine all the way up when supercharger wasn't involved so very light throttle
But I didn't want to keep tempting it incase it would lead to a serious problem.
Not very mechanically minded but when the throttle was pressed hard enough for supercharger to coming in it would be ok maybe til 3-4k then start "kangarooing" ....  So it doesn't sound like limp mode more like something to do with whatever decides to kickstart the supercharger??  If that makes sense?

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 pm

The supercharger spins all the time as belt driven so don't think its anything to do with it kicking in. The fact it would rev on part throttle suggests its linked to the throttle position.

I have experienced something very similar on track days when the car has spun and when you set off again its sets off fine then cuts immediately as if its run out of fuel then sets off again, This carries on while ever you keep your foot down in the kangaroo mode you describe.

A quick flick off on the main ignition toggle switch and back on clears it immediately.

Possibly try that next time rather than stopping

Hope this helps

Stuart

Jamier27

Post by Jamier27 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks for that

I know charger is belt driven but is there some sort of switch operating its input as you can Rev gently all the way up without any whine and as soon as you stamp on it its like there's a click and the whine is there and your off..?

Anyway went out for another 150mile drive today and it was faultess apart from the front panel working loose it coming off and me running over it!