Toe & Camber

Smithyflyer

Toe & Camber

Post by Smithyflyer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:48 pm

Just had my 3.5 in for a service at a local Motorsport outfit. As routine, they provide a wheel alignment check using a Hunter Hawkeye Elite TD wheel aligner.
The readings were as follows :-
CAMBER - left front -0.94 deg (approx -56')
              Right front  -1.38 deg (approx -1deg 23')
              FACTORY RECOMMENDATION  -30'
              Left rear -1.40 deg (approx -1 deg 24')
              Right rear -1.84 deg (approx -1 deg 50')
              FACTORY RECOMMENDATION  -45'
TOE (out). -  left front  -16'
                  Right front. -17'
                  Total toe. -33'
                  FACTORY RECOMMENDATION TOTAL TOE 2mm OUT (=  -18' on a 15 inch wheel)
TOE (in). -  left rear  27'
                Right rear. 15'
                TOTAL TOE. 42'
                FACTORY RECOMMENDATION TOTAL TOE 3mm IN (=. 25' on a 16 inch wheel)

Could someone who is experienced in these matters explain if these are far enough out to warrant a wheel alignment and if so what should I notice in the cars handling if corrected. The car is currently only used on the road.

Ian

TrackDayBore

Re: Toe & Camber

Post by TrackDayBore » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Ian,

The geo readings seem "all over the place"  ???

I believe the type of (laser alignment) car workshop geo kit you mention require the "settings" for the car to be loaded and most will have nothing later than the "numbers" for an AA 2 which may not help  :'(

Were the alignment readings taken with you in the car...?
Were the tyre pressuress set to "hot" pressures....?
If you have adjustable dampers were they set to full soft...?

And I haven't even mentioned ride height >:D

You get the idea...  lots of variables  ;D

Smithyflyer

Post by Smithyflyer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info Trackdaybore, I think I would be happier if they hadn't  given me the readout even if it wasn't done correctly. The answer to your questions are no,no and no.
Even so, should I not expect the angles to be the same left to right if the tyre pressures and damper settings are equal left to right?
The car has only covered 5000 road miles with no kerbing or accidents and I have no issues with the way it drives or handles.
They didn't have the owners handbook at the time so would not have imputed the values, but is this not just to show green if in spec or red if out of spec ? Surely the angle data would be the same ?
Would you recommend a re check using the settings you stated?

Ian

TrackDayBore

Post by TrackDayBore » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:07 am

Hi Ian,

The geo can be got exactly right, but you have to start from the "ground up" and get the ride heights and tyre pressures right first, factory recommendations for the AA 3 are 120mm Front and 115mm Rear... I'm assuming the 3.5 are the same...? BTW good luck in trying to find out where on the chassis the factory measure these heights  >:D

I see you've done the trig to get the angular 'amount' in degrees for the mm's of toe...  I have my own (basic) laser alignment kit and I use "shims on the rims" to double check.

There is an anomaly with your Rear toe figures...  Left rear 27' Right rear 15'...  This would indicate the rear of the car is "driving" out to the right and yet there is no compensatory (thrust line adjustment) at the Front left 16' Right 17'...?

As I say... I would take your geo readings with a pinch of salt...  if the car drives down the road straight (with no silly tyre wear) and you're happy with the drive, then lean back and enjoy.

IMHO the AA is really quite forgiving regarding geo set-up... having said that, I do like to get my car exactly right  ;)

Cheers,
Barry.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Ideally they should be what factory recommends for optimal tyre wear & grip levels.
tyre pressures set & some weight in the drivers seat (as if you were sat inside)
or go the full hog and have it corner weighted too.
You will be surprised how much a small adjustment of alignment can alter the feel of the car. A spot on alignment producing a better grip feel can instill a big confidence in the car and likewise the person driving.

Stew

PeR4

Anyone know where the front and rear measurements are taken on the AA 2?

Post by PeR4 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:16 pm

[quote="TrackDayBore"]
factory recommendations for the AA 3 are 120mm Front and 115mm Rear... I'm assuming the 3.5 are the same...? BTW good luck in trying to find out where on the chassis the factory measure these heights  >:D

Cheers,
Barry.
[/quote]

Anyone know where the front and rear measurements are taken on the AA 2?