Brake Bias adjuster, how does it work

K20A2

Brake Bias adjuster, how does it work

Post by K20A2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:44 pm

The deeper I dig... :pop:

I was curious about how the adjuster works, because I did not have the feeling to had changed anything by just moving it a few klicks.
So I removed the panel and I was a bit confused, what the reason could be to wind the cable like this through the front  ???
The result at least is, that I can turn the adjuster almost 2 turns without moving the screw at all, although the screw is movable very easily by hand directly.

So I guess it may make sence to shorten the cable and create a curve to the right side right behind the clutch fluid reservoir?
Would that perhaps be the correct direction?

Furthermore I unfortunately do not really understand, what the adjuster mechanically actually does.
I think I remember a picture, where the adjuster was visibly changing the angle between the two bars coming out of the two brake cylinders. So you could adjust one bar coming out further than the other, which would also be my understanding of how to adjust the brake difference front/rear.
That construction looked different from what I have. It could had been at an Atom 2.

What I am having here is "just" moving a screw through the two holes of the two bars being connected to the left and right side of the upper part of the brake pedal.
So to me it does not make any difference, whether the thread of the screw is more to the right or more to the left. It does not change the distance of one bar from the pedal or from the other bar nor does it change an angle.
So it would not change anything apart from completely removing the screw accidently by adjusting too much.
I also checked some other threads in the forum using the search, but I could not find differences.
So obviously I am making a mistake in my consideration. But what is it or what am I missing ??? :H:

Thanks and regards
Attachments
Brake Bias way 2.jpg

K20A2

Re: Brake Bias adjuster, how does it work

Post by K20A2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Adjuster screw with the two bars from the pistons and the upper side of the pedal in the middle. Adjuster cable from the right.
Attachments
Brake Bias 1.jpg
Brake Bias 1.jpg (96.75 KiB) Viewed 359 times

smokin

Post by smokin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:05 pm

In the middle of that threaded bar is a pivot that moves left and right (within the top of the brake pedal) when you adjust from the dash. It changes the force bias between the front/rear pistons. It's quite a fine thread so small increments don't seem to make too much difference (at my skill level anyway).

Surprised that the cable is routed like that. On an AA2 it's far more direct - I wonder if it's like that just on the LHD models.

On mine the smallest of turns on the dash translate to movement at the bar
Attachments
balance_bar.jpg
balance_bar.jpg (10.53 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks, I understand what you mean, but still not sure, whether I got it right.

Does the basic installation adjustment of the two bars from the brake cylinders not have a big affect on the brake bias adjuster?
If the bars coming from the brake cylinders do not have a difference in length and are in a 90° angle to the screw, you do not adjust anything by moving the pivot to the left or right? Is that correct?
(I am not too good in mechanic theory, I am afraid...)
Attachments
BB1.jpg

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:20 pm

...and the bigger the difference in their length is from the basic installation the bigger is also the adjustment you could reach?
Attachments
BB2.jpg

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:52 am

Found this in my favs. Should clear things up

https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/upl ... e-Bars.pdf
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:49 am

Perfect.
Thanks a lot. So my funny pictures do not make sence. ::)

I was also smiling about the sentence:
"A common misconception is that changing the length of the master cylinder
pushrod will alter how much force each master cylinder sees (...)"

It does not 100% cover my mistake in understanding, but it is probably based on the same wrong idea  ;)

Aliraza70

Post by Aliraza70 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:00 am

Don't have one myself but a couple of threads and a pic that may be of use????