Tomtom rider 5 power wiring

phil4

Tomtom rider 5 power wiring

Post by phil4 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 pm

i apologise if this is covered elsewhere...

I've just got a tomtom rider v5,  I've mounted it using RAM mounts to the left of dash, onto the main crossbar.

The tomtom rider in something I see as amazingly in-consumer friendly has supplied a power lead that hooks into the tomtom base, and then has two bare wires on the other end.

Anyway, does anyone have any pointers as to where I can get power?  Clearly I could try and plumb straight into the battery, but I was hoping for something closer and switched with ignition.  Any ideas?  The more specific the better.  I'm. A complete amateur.

Thanks

Phil

Simon

Re: Tomtom rider 5 power wiring

Post by Simon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:07 pm

I believe there should be a spare waterproof 12V connector near the steering column, behind dash. That's where I connect my Garmin / Autocomplete when needed. You'll need the matching plug, available from Ariel. Easy to remove nav when not needed.
Simon.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Ahh, yes there's a 12V feed there, I've got the cigarette lighter which plugs in a few places, there being one.  As you say, guess I need the plug that's on the end of the cig lighter socket.

If anyone has any other ideas of course, also welcome :)

Note: Just found this thread, I think this meantions the connector you mean:
http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,14897.msg262598.html#msg262598
Last edited by phil4 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Phil

Did mine a little bit ago and called Tom at the factory they can supply a little kit to wire it in to the power plug thats just under the dash.....Put an in line fuse in mine for good measure...

Good choice BTW the Tom Tom V5 is excellent from my limited experiences with it....Just bought an in helmet earpiece to be able to hear the Tom Tom.....Just need to fit it in the helmet now.... :tu:

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:06 pm

[quote="phil4"]
Note: Just found this thread, I think this mentions the connector you mean:
http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,14897.msg262598.html#msg262598
[/quote]

For anyone reading this... nope that wasn't the right sort.  As in they come as a pair, but they weren't compatible with what was already on the atom.  too big.  Sure, could have removed what was on the atom, but didn't want to.

Also the LMA one sold on demon tweaks, nope that's not right either.

I now have a range of waterproof connectors, none of which connect to the existing atom connectors.  Grr.

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I've got a spare plug/socket I can send to you.
Simon