No 5th Gear in Ecotec Atom 2

Porschekid

No 5th Gear in Ecotec Atom 2

Post by Porschekid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2006 Atom 2 with the Ecotec engine. Unfortunately, my first post is an issue that I’m having with the car. I can’t seem to get the shifter into 5th gear when sitting still with the engine off or while running at speed. I’m hoping that this is a common issue and not warranting a transmission rebuild or anything crazy. Gears 1-4 and Reverse are perfectly fine and the car is running in tip-top shape otherwise. If this isn’t a common issue, what would my best bet be for troubleshooting?

I did a search and came across the following thread which sounds like it may relate in some way but wasn’t really helpful. http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,10499.msg205077.html#msg205077

NormLarson

Re: No 5th Gear in Ecotec Atom 2

Post by NormLarson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Yes the stock fifth gear is a bit hard to find.  There is no detent for it and I always had issues finding it when i wanted too.  I am one of two that had a detent added and both of ours were done when we had the Quaife six speed added.  "Pete" never did create a kit for it either.  More than happy to give you his phone number if you PM me

Porschekid

Post by Porschekid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Should I be able to find it while parked with the engine off? I don't want to force it and break anything but I also don't want to drive down the highway at 6k rpm's. Any tips to get it in there?

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:55 pm

You have four gated and one mystery.  The mystery is half way between the gated 3-4 and the end where you would go downward for reverse.  It is there and does not want to be forced just ease it in and you will get used to it.

Porschekid

Post by Porschekid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:22 pm

So it sounds to me like instead of going over to the right and up for 5th, that I should just go from neutral to the right and it should slide into 5th. Just above Reverse but not as high as would feel natural? It feels like there is an area for it up there in the normal position but nothing grabs.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 pm

reverse is still to the right of fifth because my sixth has room to exist

Porschekid

Post by Porschekid » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:46 am

Ok, I played with it in my garage and think that I found it. Didn't take it on the road yet. I made this diagram which I think explains it. Might help people in the future...

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:14 am

That's it!!!  You should print that for the dash ;D

Porschekid

Post by Porschekid » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:17 am

Haha, not a bad idea Norm... Might get a decal made. Thanks for the help!

Monza

Post by Monza » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:39 am

:tu: ;D
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:18 pm

[quote="Porschekid"]
Ok, I played with it in my garage and think that I found it. Didn't take it on the road yet. I made this diagram which I think explains it. Might help people in the future...[/quote]
It is actually weirder than that:

[img width=516 height=768]http://www.tmk.com/transient/ecotec-shifter.jpg[/img]

This is because it is a Honda shifter mounted 180 degrees from the way Honda intended it, shifting a GM engine.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:52 am

I wanted to see what a shift pattern would look like embossed into my shifter, so, I choose Terry's pattern.