Razz’s Exhaust UPGRADE !!

Razzele

Razz’s Exhaust UPGRADE !!

Post by Razzele » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:14 pm

My car although being a fairly low mileage 2010 had terrible discolouration on the polished silencer -

and the rest of the system had turned a dull browny colour

So as part of my Atom’s winter hibernation I thought it was time to get the spanners out and my exhaust off.

I was mildly shocked at the poor craftsmen ship that i noticed when i removed the manifold-

Hard to see in the picture but it looked like someone had made the flange ports with a stone age flint axe !! Not only was the port matching terrible it was all rough and nasty in there.

I couldn’t sleep at night knowing my poor atom would be farting through that all summer, so off to my workshop for some fettling.

Some vibration white nuckle damage later and from the system was ready to be sent off to a friends company. He had bought some new machinery for metal prep and was desperate to put it to good use.

More to follow soon

Alex Brandon-Smith

Re: Razz’s Exhaust UPGRADE !!

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:28 am

Shall look to keep an eye on this thread and see how things look after!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Wow that was super quick, well packaged too!

( had to get the motorbike in there ! )

So as you maybe able to see there are two different ceramic coatings on the parts. The top end parts have a great looking super smooth satin black finish. Then the manifold and link pipe have the mega high temp finish that is textured, this finish should hopefully accelerate the gasses out of the manifold gaining the maximum performance benefit.

The process is fascinating, they media blast the parts in a big blast cabinet

Then they fire molten ceramic at it, rather them than me! (The same materials that zircotec use)

https://youtu.be/MDazh7f1Q_o

Giving this as an intermediary finish, the high temp white base coat with a black top coat.

then the finished produce :-

Love the contrasting polished tips.

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Razzele,

Looks great! affordable ceramic coating is always a bonus! What sort of cost was it? and Love to see more pics a few months down the line after use as sometimes the coatings can deteriorate quite quickly. I have been asked a few times for an affordable coating solution, but Zircotec is the one we trust... Always good to have a few more places to recommend.

Thanks!
1992 Landrover Defender 200TDi - Heavily Modified
1966 Landrover Series IIa - Fairly Original.
2004 Fcous ST170 You Guessed it, Heavily modified!
1977 UAZ 452 'Loaf'
On the waiting list for a Nomad... mine comes when yours is finished.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Looks like a good job Razz. Did they sort the ports as well? How much did that lot set you back? Would have been interesting to know if it improved performance at all...
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:48 pm

[quote="HenryJS"]
Razzele,

Looks great! affordable ceramic coating is always a bonus! What sort of cost was it? and Love to see more pics a few months down the line after use as sometimes the coatings can deteriorate quite quickly. I have been asked a few times for an affordable coating solution, but Zircotec is the one we trust... Always good to have a few more places to recommend.

Thanks!
[/quote]

The rough finish on the manifold apparently is more susceptible to cosmetic deterioration though has better heat efficiencies.

The smooth finish on the rest of the system is cosmetically a lot more stable and easy to clean though has a lower performance effect.

So i went for the best of both worlds, high performance stuff on the place that would make the biggest gain and cosmetic for the rest. Fingers crossed it will last a good few years, but only time will tell. Hopefully I’ll be able to refit the manifold without chipping it (there is very little room between the frame and the engine block to manoeuvre it into position)

[quote="Alex BS"]
Looks like a good job Razz. Did they sort the ports as well? How much did that lot set you back? Would have been interesting to know if it improved performance at all...
[/quote]

Yeah I agree! I am absolutely over the moon with the transformation. I did the ports myself as i do love to tinker. It should make the car will breath a little better. combined with the fact that I used to have the Cat in place Im eager to test it out. Ideally a dyno run to check it isn’t greatly improving the performance to the point of running lean unlikely i know, but we’ve got to be hopeful  :roflp:

Price wise it was very reasonable, and not in quadruple figures like Zircotec quoted me! I thinks it is best to refer you directly to the company so any quotes will be accurate in turn around times and pricing.

You should drop them an email if you are interested in getting some work done-

Sales@chargedcoatings.co.uk

http://www.chargedcoatings.co.uk

and they even have a Facebook  :wize:

https://www.facebook.com/ChargedCoatings/

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:52 pm

O0
Last edited by Razzele on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokin

Post by smokin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 am

:tu:
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Oli1122

Post by Oli1122 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:54 am

Looks really good!

You got to keep us updated how the coating sustains.
I'm a bit curious about cleaning and if the coating keeps its flawless surface and it do not get stained over time.

Is it a bit of a rough finish or totally smooth like a normal car paint surface?

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:02 am

Yeah thats going to be interesting. I fully expect the rough finish of the manifold to discolour and chip, it is the same finish that zircotec use and every ceramic coated manifold I’ve seen from them discolours and chips. The back box and link pipes are ultra smooth hopefully they should last. Time will tell.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:08 pm

looking good

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 am

500 miles and one trackday later and it is still looking the same  :tu:

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 am

except for some soot on the tips of course!

Jasong

Post by Jasong » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 am

Looks superb  :tu:

Like most of the others, I'm very interested to hear how /if the finish wears. Keep us posted please!