Wheel & Tyre Recommendations

Mad Atom

Wheel & Tyre Recommendations

Post by Mad Atom » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:19 pm

I'm looking at getting a 2nd set of wheels and alternative tyres to use when AO48's aren't suitable.

What do people use / recommend for combined track & road use?

autobackup

Re: Wheel & Tyre Recommendations

Post by autobackup » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:34 am

Next time I need new tyres I have decided to try Pirelli P Zero Trofeo tyres which have been getting good results both on the track and as road legal tyres in many extremely high performance cars and also in class racing (e.g. Porsche).

They are NOT recommended for use on very wet tracks.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorsport/sheet/pzero_trofeo.html

In regard to using them on my Atom 3.5 310 there is one very slight problem is that the minimum available Trofeo tyre size is 205/50ZR15 86Y.

The Atom front wheels are usually 195/ - however I have done a 'test fit', courtesy of a local stockist, and discovered that the 205s have sufficient mudguard clearance as the 5mm extra each side of the tyre isn't really noticeable when fitted.

They are available in the exact size 225/50ZR16 92Y required for the Atom's rear wheels - if you have the 15"/16" wheel package!
Last edited by autobackup on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 am

[quote="autobackup"]
Next time I need new tyres I have decided to try Pirelli P Zero Trofeo tyres which have been getting good results both on the track and as road legal tyres in many extremely high performance cars and also in class racing (e.g. Porsche).

They are NOT recommended for use on very wet tracks.

In regard to using them on my Atom 3.5 310 there is one very slight problem is that the minimum available Trofeo tyre size is 205/50ZR15 86Y.

The Atom front wheels are usually 195/ - however I have done a 'test fit', courtesy of a local stockist, and discovered that the 205s have sufficient mudguard clearance as the 5mm extra each side of the tyre isn't really noticeable when fitted.

They are available in the exact size 225/50ZR16 92Y required for the Atom's rear wheels - if you have the 15"/16" wheel package!
[/quote]

I'd be interested to see how you get on with this. How they feel, fit and perform. Always great to have another alternative.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Mad Atom

Post by Mad Atom » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:55 am

The P zero's look like an alternative to the AO48's but what I'm after is an additional tyre option for winter use and on-track when it isn't dry.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:19 am

[quote="Mad Atom"]
The P zero's look like an alternative to the AO48's but what I'm after is an additional tyre option for winter use and on-track when it isn't dry.

[/quote]

I have a second set of Team Dynamics with the Atom Cup full wets on them. Can't remember the exact tyre but someone might pop up shortly and say what it is else I'll go take a look in a bit. Haven't had to use them yet though. I don't think the cup wets are road legal though. If you are just after something to clear more water on the road you may find the AD08 are a better bet.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 am

You might have a look at the Yoko AD08R which is a harder compound with deeper tread cut than the AD048s?

The Trofeos should be OK for dampish/wettish tracks but it is simply not recommended for VERY wet track use!

Personally I'm not sure that there is very much out there for very wet track driving for an Atom that is also road legal - at the odd meeting I have attended I noticed some members fit Avon tyres but you would need someone familiar with them to comment on how good they are in the wet or whether they would be suitable for track use?

If you simply want road wet weather/winter/OK in snow tyres have a look at Continental's SportContact range but, I assume, that they probably wouldn't be suitable for use on a track but would be very hard wearing for road use during the winter.

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/search-page?q=195%2F15
Last edited by autobackup on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:23 am

i have read several time that the Trofeo R is even better than the "Trofeo" alone.
Not tested yet.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:59 am

Monza

The Trofeo R's are indeed better but at rather more cost.

They would definitely be the better option for serious and frequent track use (apparently many people are finding that they last a whole season!) however it was suggested to me by Shaun Marriott of Pirelli Motorsport that the standard Trofeos would be more cost effective if most driving is on the public roads with just the occasional track day!

- however 'yer pays yer money..............!'

That said I was personally intending to fit Trofeo R's next time as you will see from the attached image!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone would like to be the first guinea pig in trying out these tyres appended below is the email that I received from Shaun Marriott - please feel free to contact him directly as it will be next summer before I need new tyres:

-------------------

Hi Paul

As discussed on the phone, please find below the dimensions of the tyres that are closest to your Atom tyres.

regarding pricing, they might be able to knock a little off the RRP to try a set out

Kind Regards,

Shaun Marriott
          Pirelli Motorsport UK
(    + 44 (0)1235 51-4397 (Office)
(  + 44 (0)7974 153559 (Mobile)
shaun.marriott@pirellif1.com
http://www.pirelli.com
Attachments
Picture002.jpg
Last edited by autobackup on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)