Advice regarding electrical connectors

julian

Advice regarding electrical connectors

Post by julian » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:40 pm

I am currently changing my sat nav which requires a different mount. I need to wire into the cars electrical system. The original sat nav is wired in. I have disconnected the connector under the dash and now have to wire the new mount into the connector and plug back in.

How do I get the old wires out of the connector and then the new ones in?

Am I being stupid. Are the connectors for once only use and do I need to purchase a new male and female from Ariel or local source?

I hope this makes sense, the connector is the one used for auxiliary power sources, cigarette lighter etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

Julian

smokin

Re: Advice regarding electrical connectors

Post by smokin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:02 pm

The terminals inside the connectors are crimped so can't easily be reused. A replacement male or female would be required (whichever is at the satnav end) and the factory / ebay / amazon can provide. You will need a crimping tool.

Another option would be to use scotchlock connectors and splice into the wires upstream of the connector under the dash, but they are not an elegant solution.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SPLICE-SCOTCH-CONNECTORS-ELECTRICAL-JOINTS/dp/B00HBSBF44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447001600&sr=8-1&keywords=scotch+lock

If you are planning to dump the old mount you could cut off its connector and join the wires to the new mount with butt connectors or terminal blocks
Last edited by smokin on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

julian

Post by julian » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Smokin,

Thanks, I thought something was going on and I wasn't being totally stupid. As you say I will email Ariel now and get one sent. I don't have a crimping tool but a friendly garage that will fit the connector to the mount for me, then plug in.

Thank you again.

Julian

smokin

Post by smokin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:25 pm

cool

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:36 pm

What you changing to Julian?

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Julian,
I've been doing a lot of research into the connectors used on my car while getting my LED headlight kits sorted. I've got plenty of spares and a crimping tool.

I'd be more than happy to sort you out.

Drop me a PM.

Chris

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:54 pm

Never ever use scotch locks - awful things.

Stew

julian

Post by julian » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Changing from Tomtom V2 Europe which has been brilliant all over Europe in all weathers, same  but V6.

Thanks Chris, I will pm you.

Thanks both

Julian

toms

Post by toms » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:35 am

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
Never ever use scotch locks - awful things.

Stew
[/quote]

:tu:

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi
Just one related question from me:

I want to hard wire my Satmap GPS to the electrical connector under the dash.  I have taken the USB charger wire that fits with the GPS and chopped off the USB connector.  I now have the power and ground cables exposed.  Can I now make a straight connection with those wires to the male connector under the dash or do I need to add some sort of resistor in some where?

I am assuming the blanked off connector under the dash is 5v (not 12v)?  Also, I am not sure if I am just ok attaching a chopped off USB cable to the under dash connector.  Do I need to protect the GPS some how from over voltage or surge?

Thanks

smokin

Post by smokin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:58 pm

I would check the voltage of that connector. If it's 12v (I suspect it is) then you'll need something like this to convert
and protect
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HitCar-Inverter-Voltage-Female-Charger/dp/B00J1E1IG6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1455483271&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+12v

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:37 pm

Connector under the dash is definitely 12V.
You could consider using a normal 12V car charger (cigarette lighter style) with an inline fuse. Satnav is then removable when washing Atom.
The item Smokin linked to, with the flying USB lead, would allow removal as well.
Simon.

smokin

Post by smokin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:58 pm

[quote="Adam T"]
.... I have taken the USB charger wire that fits with the GPS and chopped off the USB connector.  ....
[/quote]
This may be more suited than my previous suggestion given the beheading of the cable (assuming the satnav uses a std micro usb)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HitCar-Inverter-Converter-Recorder-Straight/dp/B00U2DGKOK/ref=lp_6015915031_1_12?srs=6015915031&ie=UTF8&qid=1455486721&sr=8-12

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi
Thanks very much, that connector is perfect!  Could job I asked as that could have been an expensive mistake.
Adam