Changing Coolant

julian

Changing Coolant

Post by julian » Sun May 31, 2015 8:39 pm

I need to change the coolant.

Is it any easy job to drain out the old fluid, is there a plug or 'tap' at the bottom of the radiator?

I have seen other technical posts on here where people have loosened jubilee clips at the point rubber hoses join the metal ones.

Which is is best / correct way to drain?

Thanks

Julian

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Changing Coolant

Post by John Scherrer » Sun May 31, 2015 11:42 pm

I think you have to release the jubilee clips and carefully insert a blunt screw driver between the hose and the radiator to help the water to drain. Open the bleed screw and the reservoir cap first ..

Finding a drain tray to fit under the car may be a challenge ..

Here's a tip from Calscot on how to get the air out of the system on refilling ..

The biggest Job is getting the coolant back in and eliminating air pockets. It really is a "bitch". I had the good fortune at Atomfest to have the entire UK Factory tech group basically do it for me on my UK 2.

Firstly, use the pre mixed coolant.
The radiator bleed screw is to be "off" at first.
Pour the coolant into the tank until the coolant stops flowing in.
Use a rag, wipe the coolant tank rim and literally blow with your mouth, getting a decent seal with your lips on the tank (No perverts here please, this is serious Atom surgery  ) and continue with a steady pressure until the coolant in the reservoir tank pushes through. (You may have to start the engine for a few seconds at times to help push past some air locks, but do not run it for any period and try not to run it at all at this point)
Continue this filling, wiping and giving the blowjob until the coolant starts coming out of the radiator bleed hole.
Screw in the bleed nipple (I know somebodyâ??s getting off on this) to stop the stuff going all over the floor.
Then, jack up the front of the car. Higher the better. We got mine up over 2 feet.
Start the engine and let it idle.
Continue to top up the coolant tank (keep the cap on the tank to let pressure build and remove as needed carefully) and manually adjust the bleed nipple on the rad until no air comes out the bleed nipple and the reservoir stays a steady level. You will be surprised how long this takes as it burps air off and on for a while as the pressure in the system builds through heat.
Once you get it all done and you are not getting any air out. Take a 5-10 minute very easy drive. Bring the car back in and jack the front back up and let it idle again and see if you can get any more air out of the bleed nipple.

That's how the Factory does it. It takes a while. Tom told me the process on some of them can take over 1 1/2 hours as you really need to get ALL the air out.   
Last edited by John Scherrer on Sun May 31, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

julian

Post by julian » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks John, wow.

Whilst the above doesn't sound beyond me, it all seems a bit of a fag and up to an 1 1/2 plus I need to flush through. I will have to think about doing this or just going to a garage.

Thanks again.

Julian

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:17 am

I watched the boys doing mine at the last service - even they struggled!  They took nearly 45 mins to get the air out and the front of the car was a good 2 or 3 feet off the ground and lots of revs!

Good luck!
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:00 am

it is a big pain. especially when you snap the bleed screw..

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:04 am

Continue this filling, wiping and giving the blowjob until the coolant starts coming out of the radiator bleed hole.
Screw in the bleed nipple (I know somebodyâ??s getting off on this) to stop the stuff going all over the floor.

Can we have pictures Julian when when performing this  :roflp: 
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

julian

Post by julian » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:45 pm

I won't be putting my mouth anywhere near this, in fact the more complex it's getting I won't be using my hands either.

So I am afraid no photos on this occasion!

Julian

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Has anyone ever tried using the vacuum coolant fillers? Bought one primarilly for bleeding the bmw Mini's which are an UTTER Cow!
You do need access to an airline mind.
Connect it to the expansion bottle and run the airline through it - sucks all the air out/sucks all the rubber hoses flat and then once the pressures held another pipe into your bottle of coolant - open the tap and Whoosh - sucks in the coolant mighty fast - no air locks!
A bleeding (no pun intended) good piece of kit.
part number RADKITPLUSA  snap on tools.
About £75.

Stew