Cat/Millbrook driver training 5th July 2009.

Other forms of gathering
John H

Cat/Millbrook driver training 5th July 2009.

Post by John H » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:11 am

Me and Pierluigi Collina (aka Hedge) are booked to do this on July 4th. apparently it's the mutts nuts according to all who have done it, but places are limited and as usual, I have reserved a few spaces for atom owners.
This was blatantly thieved from Bruce's blurb on it last year:
I presume this year will be the same, so if you want to go, send a PM to CAT and mention that you are part of our group. Once we get the numbers up a bit, I shall negotiate stuff. It should be 345 quid, but we can usually get it for 310 or thereabouts
Here's more about it:

CAT Driver Training is run by Colin and Jo Hoad.  Colin used to work for a leading motor manufacturer in the UK as a Vehicle Evaluator and Driver Trainer and has gained extensive experience and qualifications in driver instruction.  This includes being certificated to instruct at Millbrook and also the infamous Nurburgring in Germany.  His life has been spent working with his passion: motor cars - from racing minis to the race preparation of performance cars.  He has much experience of vehicles on both road and track and brings a very different approach to driver enjoyment.

The day is a fast moving experience for owners and their cars to introduce the secrets of performance driving.  It is designed to be informative, exciting and fun.  The group size is purposefully kept small so that the maximum can be obtained from the day in a highly personalised environment.

There is access to the five unique circuits at the renowned Millbrook Proving Ground, a venue that is not normally accessible for track days and the general public.

Activities designed for the different circuits are:

"   Learn threshold and left-foot braking from 100 mph on the Mile Straight
"   High speed driving, potentially to the maximum of your car, on the banked circuit of the High Speed Bowl
"   Drive the demanding Alpine Route circuit with its hills, and variety of corners from hairpins to long and sweeping
"   Take on the tight, twisty and challenging Handling Circuit
"   Put a car through its paces on the wide open spaces of the Steering Pad

An instructor will accompany you on all the circuits, and the objective is to teach you how to get the best from your car and develop your performance driving skills in a controlled environment and at a pace you are comfortable with.

Short presentations in vehicle dynamics will help you to understand the relationship between driver input and vehicle balance and control.  From this comes the appreciation of how to safely drive your vehicle at grip limit within the controlled confines of a track environment.

At the end of the day, your new-found skills can be put to the test in a timed shoot out around a gymkhana-style course laid out on the Steering Pad.  This will be conducted in one of CAT Driver Trainings track prepared cars (normally a Subaru Impreza or a Caterham7).

Included in the day are:

"   Professional in car tuition
"   Access to 5 unique circuits at Millbrook Proving Ground
"   Mechanical support from a professional race engineer
"   Lunch and refreshments during the day
"   Timed end of day shoot out in one of CATs track prepared cars
"   Full emergency services on hand all day
"   1½ hours one-to-one driving time with your personal instructor

Normal Price £345 per person (AAOC Member's Introductory price £310)

Performance Driver Track Day Schedule

Training Course Title:   Performance Driver Track Day
Duration:   1 day
Date:   TBA
Venue:   Millbrook Proving Ground, Bedfordshire
Training Vehicles:   Trainees own cars
Circuits Used:
    Mile Straight
    High Speed Bowl
    Alpine Route
    Handling/Dynamics Circuit
    Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron

Schedule
09:00 09:45   Coffee, Introduction, Licence Check, Scrutineering, Safety Briefing & Valley Park Objectives of the Day
09:45 09:50   Drive to Circuits
09:50 11:00   Group 1 High Speed Bowl   Group 2 Mile Straight
11:00 12:10   Group 1 Mile Straight   Group 2 High Speed Bowl
12:15 13:45   Group 1 Handling Circuit   Group 2 Alpine Route
13:45 14:15   Lunch
Valley Park
14:15 15:50   Group 1 Alpine Route   Group 2 Handling Circuit
15:50 16:30   All Open Practice Handling Circuit
16:40 17:30   Gymkhana timed Shoot Out Mile Straight Apron
17:40   Presentation & Debrief
Any Questions
End

Timings & Circuit order may be subject to change on the day depending on circuit activity

I think this is an excellent way to enjoy a Saturday's driving somewhere very special. I would point out that there will be opportunities to make mistakes, but not on the Alpine or Handling circuits, which don't have much run-off. However, you probably will be too busy learning to be going fast enough to worry about that. Having done a few days at Millbrook, I can heartily recommend it.
Last edited by John H on Fri May 08, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger

Re: Cat/Millbrook driver training

Post by Trigger » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:17 am

My wife did an half day course last Sat with Colin one to one and it was excellent - I am keen to take the Atom there. Will see if I can join u on 4th July.

Trigger
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:20 am

I did this last year and it was bloody great, going around the short handling cct with Colin was terrific, where he says 'keep your foot down and you WILL get round it'

I am going to book now.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

John H

Post by John H » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:04 pm

[quote="AlanP"]
I did this last year and it was bloody great, going around the short handling cct with Colin was terrific, where he says 'keep your foot down and you WILL get round it'

I am going to book now.

A
[/quote]
cool.........speak to Jo as she has details of our group booking

CAT

Post by CAT » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi All - Jo here ... my apologies but I'm embarrassed to say I gave John and Hedge the wrong date .... the event is Sunday 5th July ... not the day before.  I hope this date still works for you but let John and I know either by PM or on the forum either way. 

At the minute there are only 4 places available so if the date works for you then shout fast  :tu:

Apologies again.

Jo

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Sunday the 5th sounds great!

AP
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

John H

Post by John H » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm

yep me and Collina are in too

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Bugger, Saturday looked good but booked tickets to Goodwood FOS for the Sunday 5th! :(
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

John H

Post by John H » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:09 pm

[quote="wasp"]
Bugger, Saturday looked good but booked tickets to Goodwood FOS for the Sunday 5th! :(
[/quote]
cancel it?????????

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:12 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="wasp"]
[/quote]
cancel it?????????
[/quote]

Nice idea but already shelled out close to £500 for tickets and Hotel for the family. As they have only got 4 places any chance of a different date?
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

John H

Post by John H » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:18 pm

[quote="wasp"]
[quote="John H"]
[quote="wasp"]
[/quote]
cancel it?????????
[/quote]

Nice idea but already shelled out close to £500 for tickets and Hotel for the family. As they have only got 4 places any chance of a different date?
[/quote]
if there are enough of us and we all can move to the new date, then I'll see what I can do.
Maybe Jo could suggest some additional or alternative dates if there are more than 4 of us?

swissatom

Post by swissatom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:59 am

I'd be keen on something between 25th of May and 5th of June, preferably mid week if anybody else is interested.

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:49 pm

[quote="swissatom"]
I'd be keen on something between 25th of May and 5th of June, preferably mid week if anybody else is interested.
[/quote]

1st June is MSV at Brands Hatch, buy would be great to get a day that works for a good number of us :)
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

John H

Post by John H » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:41 am

OK, I'm working on this one at the mo as it's a bit complicated with Millbrook closing for resurfacing for 5 weeks this summer.
There are a few potential dates, but I just wanted to ask whether anyone has a problem doing this on a weekday, as there are way more options than trying to do it on a Saturday?
I'll report back early in the week as I am speaking to them tomorrow about potential dates.

wasp

Post by wasp » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:34 am

Weekday generally no problem. Beats working for a living ;D
Atom 4, Gr Yaris