Ultimate Car Control Vehicle Dynamics tuition day

Other forms of gathering
NathanE

Ultimate Car Control Vehicle Dynamics tuition day

Post by NathanE » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:16 pm

At Crowthorne (near Woking).  Led by Robb Gravett.  Recommended to me by Meyrick, Bruce and a few others went 18 months ago and might be able to comment if anyone is interested. 

Adam T

Re: Ultimate Car Control Vehicle Dynamics tuition day

Post by Adam T » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:22 pm

What does it involve and when?

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:32 pm

web site is www.ultimatecarcontrol.co.uk, although to be honest it's not great at explaining the day!

It is a combination of classroom teaching and driving tuition/practice.  Led by Robb Gravett who was a pretty accomplished race driver.  It is run on at the Transport research labs (at least I think that's what they call it) on a massive tarmac apron with a cone course laid out.  The idea is to get a better understanding of the theory behind the way a vehicle handles and then take the theory to make you a better/faster driver. 

I have been, but only to the second half of a day (so no theory tuition) which wasn't so useful - and want to go to do the whole day.  Maybe pm Bruce to get his thoughts having done this and other days, unfortunately I can't compare having not done other tuition days. 

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:54 pm

What level is it aimed at, someone new to the subject or someone with a good understanding?

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:44 pm

The theory starts from the beginning - weight transfer and vehicle response under acceleration, braking and cornering and leads onto how to react to it.  This will be my first tuition day in my Atom. 

They do an advanced day too, but this isn't it, and generally they recommend the folks go on the first day before progressing.  Having said that I know good drivers (who race internationally) who have been on the first day and still get stuff out of it. 

The best thing is probably to give them a call - talk to Cate if she is there, and chat it though with them - becasue I've not done the day properly they will give you a better idea as to whether or not it is suitable. 

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:50 pm

What does it cost?

morgy

Post by morgy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:34 am

how many of you are going i might be up for that when is it ect

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:06 pm

This thursday 18th January.  Not sure if there are any other takers yet. 

morgy

Post by morgy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Hey dude

can i just turn up

i have got a day on the top gear track on wednesday so i dont want to book it just incase i all goes wrong on the track.
what time does it start etc i am well up for it

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Best to call them and ask.  http://www.ultimatecarcontrol.com/contact-information/

I wouldn't want  you to be disappointed if it wasn't available when you arrived, there are limited places (12 cars max I think) so definately worth checking. 

Have fun at Dunsfold. 

morgy

Post by morgy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Cool i have rang them and there are places left YEAH!!!

BUT have you checked out the weather for thursday not looking good at all 46mph winds and loads of rain.

are you still going to go if its tipping it down

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Even better if it's wet - and you won't shag your tyres quite as much - be warned, you WILL shag them unless it's very slippy. I wore a set out pretty much on that one day!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

morgy

Post by morgy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:59 pm

Oh NOOOO MINE ARE BRAND NEW

OH well its only money

who ever buys my car will have a spanking new set of tyres then!!!
how did you find the course was it good?? usefull ?? worth the money??

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm trying to wear my Bridgestones as quick as possible so that I can justify getting some r888's  ;D

I'm not going to be put off by the weather, although the forecast is getting worse every day!  I need the instruction, and I figure that wet weather handling is just as important as dry. 

I'll keep an eye out for you morgy - shouldn't be too difficult to spot I guess