Car factory visits

Other forms of gathering
GraemeW

Car factory visits

Post by GraemeW » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:15 pm

Its been suggested/requested somewhere on this forum before, and we have done some in the past, but nothing recent. Just to gauge interest, is anyone up for a group trip to a car factory? Hopefully, when conditions improve after this terrible time we are having?

I was looking to organise a group visit to McLaren, this year before the pandemic came along. I contacted someone I know working there. It appears they don't offer tours, but I haven't given up yet. However, the Pandemic has put paid to that for the time being.

I am thinking of a trip to Morgan later this year, or whenever its possible. Yes, Im an old fart, but Ive always like the look of them, until I sat in one years ago at the Birmingham motorshow. The most uncomfortable car I ever sat in. Every dimension was wrong (for me). Ive continued still to admire the craftsmanship, but now things have moved on with new models since my awful experience in Birmingham. The recent More4 documentary building the new Morgan Plus 6 rekindled my interest to visit the factory. They did allow group tours pre pandemic, so it will probably be awhile before they open again for these. They may gulp at the site of a group of superior Ariel machinery turning up at the factory :)

So, when its possible, I will head up there, visit the factory, and also drive the Atom in the Malvern hills. Perhaps stay a night, a blast on the Brecons, then home.

If there is any tentative interest I can plan it as a group visit, when its possible.

Taking soundings?

SvenTheHammer

Re: Car factory visits

Post by SvenTheHammer » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Sounds good Graeme👍

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:37 pm

I like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Great idea!

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56 am

I'm in!
I tied McLaren a while back. They said if we were to become sponsors @ £10million+ we would have more chance!
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:11 am

A trip to Morgan would be super. I did a tour of McLaren a few years back with a mate who had a 675LT being built. They had the last of the P1s in production, all with naked carbon bodies, absolutely glorious, it was a great day and the tour was hosted by the man married to Bruce McLaren's daughter IIRC.
A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am

Sir Nick wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56 am
I tied McLaren a while back. They said if we were to become sponsors @ £10million+ we would have more chance!
Alex is there a spare £10million in the Club kitty? :)