London Dawn Raid 2020 - Sunday 7th June

Other forms of gathering
Cjg62

Re: London Dawn Raid 2020 - Sunday 7th June

Post by Cjg62 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Now this is obviously not happening, a bit cold and wet!

However, i have just realised I’m free next Sunday as I won’t be at Le Mans !

Anybody else up for a jaunt? Karl might even have his wheels back by then??

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm about next weekend Chris. Got the car back today - wahoo! - but not quite in time to a quick London recce for this Sunday.

I'll try to pay a visit one evening next week though if peeps are interested in a run before the congestion charge kicks in 7 days a week.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Quick update on this one...

I got the car back last Friday and all was good - but too late to visit that there Lundun Taan (Cockney accent if you please) and do a recce in time for last weekend.

I did a run on Sunday with a local 'lightweight RWD' club and killed a mudguard. Hopefully spares should be arriving this week, but until then, I'm off road (not in the good Nomad way, but more in a 'not road legal' way).

image.png
image.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1303 times

So I very much doubt I'll be able to do a recce of London this week to see what roads are still open and what roads are full of violent protesters murdering statues and throwing prams at horses.

In the meantime, I'm still looking to see if anyone in the SE wants to meet up for a run on the 21st in a Winchester to Newbury arc.

Again, if anyone wants to take point on a London run, we have route maps and embarrassing videos of what-not-to-do which we are happy to share; but I'm probably dropping out for a London run this year given the 7 days a week Congestion Charge kicks in soon :-(

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Karl, you didn’t loose it on a roundabout did you?

If the weather is ok, (not looking likely) I’m still planning to head dain tain to ‘ave a gander abait (sorry a cross between Cockney and Northamptonian) and also south again on the 21st. Anything to avoid jobs at home!!

Hopefully catch up with you then.

Chris

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:26 am

Ha! I lost it on the way to the starting point Chris (I blame the M23 at 5am - MPH not disclosed here for obvious reasons).

Once I realised it was 'just' a broken mudguard and not the suspension falling out of my arse (which was a real consideration after I just had the suspension overhauled), I whacked on a few cable ties and showed those Corvettes how to take a roundabout properly. Those 550BHP American V8s are all shout and no trousers - sorry - no pants!

Weather aside, I'm up for a run on the 21st. I appreciate that Winchester to Newbury is quite a bit out of your way Sir, but I'm trying to find a route that will get as many hardcore Arieliests out and about as possible post lockdown - if there is an appetite to kick-start outings.

That said, if folk want to run Lundun Taan instead of Winchester to Newbury, I dinnie mind (Cockney and Scots there - you're welcome).

As soon as I get the car road legal again, I'm happy to help scout out routes and see how we can get this show on the road. As some bloke in a Renault Spider said to me yesterday "This is my first run of the decade". KInda brought it home for me...

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:23 am

Just done a quick recce around Lundun Taan and I can report that is is a bit shite.

Many roads closed - some due to roadworks, some due to building statue fortifications - and generally a bit chaotic with quite a fair amount of traffic, even at 6am (although I appreciate it is a Saturday and not Sunday, but still - more than I am used to seeing at that time of day).

Some nice bits of course (I guess Liz was in Windsor for her Birthday), but generally a bit meh...

image.png
image.png (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1278 times

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm

It is looking a bit grim there Karl, I was working there last week and was confronted by numerous temporary width restrictions, the purpose of which I couldn’t fathom?

The best bit though is Park Lane northbound. This is now been reduced down from 4 lanes in places and 40mph to a single lane and 20mph! 🤷‍♂️ and it looks to be permanent!

Anyhow, I am still heading there tomorrow morning with my daughter for one last blast before the CG “lockdown”

Chris

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Enjoy Chris!

Sorry we didn't quite manage to pull it off this year. 2020 has been a bit of a let down all round :(

My only advice would be not to scream up the Mall if you can help it. I suspect Liz may be feeling a bit tender after a bit of Birthday cake today.

Oh... and try not to knock down any statues on your way round... ;)