London Dawn Raid 2020 - Sunday 7th June

Other forms of gathering
Karl V

London Dawn Raid 2020 - Sunday 7th June

Post by Karl V » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:48 am

Placeholder for now.

The plan for this year is to gather as many cars as we can then all get lost as soon as possible, before getting stuck in traffic.

Should be something different...

SvenTheHammer

Re: London Dawn Raid 2020 - Sunday 7th June

Post by SvenTheHammer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:15 am

The day after my birthday. I can’t think of anything I’d rather do for my birthday tbh👍🏎

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue May 19, 2020 10:39 pm

I'm not sure what bothers me the most - having had the Nomad locked down in Crewkerne for 2 months and counting, or knowing that the London Congestion Charge is increasing and operating 7 days a week from 22nd June.

I'm hoping to hear news of when the Nomad may be road-ready again very soon, but am likely to pay a parting visit to that-there London in early June, even if it's in the daily as a last resort. Trying to hitch a ride in someone else's car apparently means I need to move in with them. Given I snore, I'm not sure that's a goer.

My guess is that London will be very different compared to previous outings. What roads will be open? Will there be breakfast stops and toilets? Are we even allowed to stop and wave at each other? Is London even a wise idea, although it is fairly 'central' for the South East owners.

Anyway, just my ramblings. Not an official Club organised event, I'm just hijacking an existing thread to see what others think. Government COVID advice permitting of course...

P.S. - Rookie, if you are reading this, I lied. I am starting to get the shakes ;-)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu May 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Had a call yesterday from an unknown number in Crewkerne. Something something next week or maybe the week after something something.

Not sure who it was or how the Nigerian Prince in question knows my Auntie so well, but I was encouraged and promised them my 3rd born anyway.

Can't wait to get out and about soon peeps...

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 am

I'm in - managed to completely cock up my login, so now here under a new nom de plume!

Tho as this is actually my real name and my former login wasn't does that make it a plume de nom?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun May 31, 2020 10:07 pm

Evening folks.

I hate to say this, but I am now not feeling confident that my car will be back from Crewkerne by this coming weekend (7th).

My plan was to do a quick recce before next Sunday to see what roads and facilities are open / closed / destroyed / pedestrianised, but that is looking unlikely right now.

I'm itching to get out (I've been Nomadless for 3 months now) and I'm sure it can be done without man hugs from other Ariel owners, but this coming weekend may be too much of an ask for the Crewkerne Crew (see what I did there?).

If anyone here wants access to previous year's London Dawn Raid routes and wants to run point, please shout! In the meantime, I may look at seeing what appetite there is to socially-distance a South East Breakfast Meet or two before it starts pissing down for the rest of the year.

P.S. Welcome 'back' [mention]RichC[/mention] - there is no hiding ;-)

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sun May 31, 2020 10:16 pm

Hahahahaha thanks as last year Raid actually organised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sun May 31, 2020 10:17 pm

CAG3D wrote:Hahahahaha thanks as last year Raid actually organised Image

.... was last years London Raid actually organised...? I seem to remember there were a lot of U Turns Image

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun May 31, 2020 10:27 pm

;D

Oh I had routes planned and everything Tony. In fact, I even submitted these vids for my post-grad in cat herding. I failed of course...

I think it was [mention]Sir Nick[/mention]'s 84 point turn on Tower Bridge that did it :-(

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sun May 31, 2020 10:29 pm

Brilliant !!!

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun May 31, 2020 10:40 pm

I did enjoy that day.

But then, there was the time at the airport when all eyes were on me. That didn't end well at all - I still apologise to this day [mention]Cjg62[/mention] :-(

Anyway, good news... Crewkerne have impounded my car this year :o

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Remind me, is this off now??
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm

The chance of me getting the car from Crewkerne before the weekend is now slimmer than my waistline before lockdown diet; so unfortunately I'm out. Which is quite frustrating because I really want to be... out...

Does anyone else want to do lead on this? I am sure we can provide the routes from previous Dawn Raids if it would be helpful.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:41 pm

Weather isn’t looking very ‘May’ like. Soon as we talk ‘meet up’, the sunshine disappears

What are they doing with your vehicle at Ariel? Probably trying to patent some of your ‘quirky’ bolt ons.......

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 pm

Oh yeah, rain most of next week. I guess that's when my car will be ready then.

It went in for a rear Alcon upgrade Tony, and some lube around the suspension.

I'm getting around 3 months to the gallon at the moment. Most economical car I've ever had ;-)