Another Rolling Road Session, Turbo time

Other forms of gathering
Luckky

Another Rolling Road Session, Turbo time

Post by Luckky » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:13 pm

Peter255 wrote:
Toilet Duck wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:15 pm Excellent info Pete, very interesting read. Good to get some actual figures/data rather than the usual guesstimates etc :tu:

Gutted I couldn't make this one, will there be another dyno day in the new year?

Cheers
Np

If there is enough interest then why not. :) I will be happy to book it and bring along the 4 to see if we can get some of my 15 ponies back with a bit more air to the intercooler.

Remind me later and i can start another thread. :tu:
I’ll be getting my 4 this year, guesstimate is 18/12.

More than happy to come along, chat and learn from you guys plus pop mine on too so we get some absolute comparisons; mine is coming with the variable boost too..... that’s assuming you guys will have me!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter255

Re: Another Rolling Road Session, Turbo time

Post by Peter255 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 am

[mention]Luckky[/mention]
Mark,

You are more than welcome. :tu: Keep your eyes peeled for a new thread. Lets see how many 4's we can get along to compare. :)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am

Peter255 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:08 pm
Preseh wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:18 pm Very interesting, thanks for this! Does that mean there's potentially quite a big difference between each car? I know Simon's car was a good 30bhp more than yours @Peter255. Or is this down to the differences in rolling roads?
The engines are crated from Honda, the upgrade parts are the same, and using the same map. They should all be identical power output give or take a few BHP. However in general rolling roads are notorious for having significant discrepancies between different operators. Indeed you can and do see differences on different days even on the same site with the same operator. I would only use them to compare on the day on the same equipment wherever possible.

I would guess +/- 5% error is common enough and it is well known some places are "generous" with their results. Its much easier to have nice conversations with happy customers after all.

Simon may have got more cooling to the rad / intercooler for his run which would certainly help too. Sadly we can no longer ask him if he has specific extra fans for the intercooler (or similar). There is one MASSIVE fan at SRR and the others didn't fit my i/c.

If the Atom 4 does make 350BHP and Simon had a lucky or generous result (+5%) that could read as 368BHP. If you think about it no-one has suggested its a 365BHP map. Ariel don't advertise it as such. If the cars routinely were 360 why not call it that? It sounds much better than 350. The extra 15BHP is highly likely to be an error. By the same logic I could have been unlucky and read 350 -5% = 333BHP.

We are both within 5% of 350, so probably fine. I would have been concerned if they tested a bunch of identical Atom 4's back to back @ SRR and all the others got ~360 BHP, except mine showing ~330. That would point to something not correct.

I am happy to do further testing if anyone wants to do some more checking with a bunch of 4's. It would be great to do a 320, a 350, and cars with the boost controller back to back. :)
Where has Simon gone then?
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:45 am

Simon is still active on the Facebook group as 'Bob Smith' but I'm not sure he's on the forum anymore after the heated EV chat the other week :pop:

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 pm

That is a pity, thought he had gone quiet.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Need to get more air to the i/c next time down there i think...

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Ian G (k24with k20head s/c cat)

Ian G (k24with k20head s/c decat)

Phil4 (s/c, 18's & no cat)

KarlV (s/c, 15's & no cat)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:03 pm

Karl, Pete, Ian, Alex and Phil - as seen from the car ;-)