A Bridge Too Far, So Normandy It Is. 17th - 20th October 2014

Where driving is the aim of the game
julian

A Bridge Too Far, So Normandy It Is. 17th - 20th October 2014

Post by julian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:36 am

Steve Gibson and myself had a meet the other night where I suggested fitting in a last long weekend before we lose this great weather.

I suggested  Arnhem, Operation Market Garden but Steve correctly pointed out that it might not be the wisest move  to head North in Europe at this time of year hence A Bridge Too Far.

Therefore we have come up with Normandy. We have done this many times before and it is always a good trip. The dates are as above and this will be a last minute trip based on the weather forecast much like Operation Overlord, so a final decision would be made a few days before.

It is proposed to cross via Euro Tunnel Friday morning and drive and make for Deauville. Then a loop south with a view to getting tunnel back on Monday. Tunnel, accommodation to be booked once we have the green light regarding the weather. Don't anticipate any problems with any bookings this time of year.

Like I said, Steve and I are doing this, subject to weather if anyone else has the flexibility and wishes to come then add your name. Cost would be around the £100 for tunnel, change out of E100 per night for hotel, then normal running costs, food and booze.

Taking the Atom into France is fantastic, brilliant, fast, uncongested roads unlike here. We will do some of the WW2 sites so if you want to do anything particular, let us know and we can try to build it in.

With regard to Arnhem, I will do this next year, perhaps May, June, I will post accordingly.

Regards

Julian

julian

Re: A Bridge Too Far, So Normandy It Is. 17th - 20th October 2014

Post by julian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:36 am

The List.

Julian
Steve Gibson

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:11 am

I will be there.  I will meet everyone as I am only 1 hour from Normandy (Am in Jersey).  Would suggest Pegasus Bridge, then beaches.  St Mere Eglise is well worth a visit.  Was there a few weeks ago and the roads are excellent so well worth a trip.
Last edited by markwetherall on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR
Lives in Jersey so thats 9x5 miles and nowhere to drive fast

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:31 pm

[quote="julian"]
The List.

Julian
Steve Gibson
Mark Wetherall
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR

julian

Post by julian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi Mark, great to have you along.

Steve and I will be coming from Calais. I was thinking the Mecure hotel in Deauville, town centre and secure garage parking.

From Deauville to Beaches via Pegasus works for me. I have done this trip a few times now but never made it that little extra to St Mere Eglise. Same for Steve, we actually discussed going there the other night so that's a must for me. You obviously know the area well so please keep your ideas coming.

Fingers crossed for sunshine and no rain!

Regards

Julian

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:11 pm

My Son has just come back from a school trip so I will find out from him which are the best parts.  I wont get to you until Saturday Morning as I am coming from St Malo in Brittany then driving up.  Don't forget the Bayeux tapestry is worth a look
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:20 pm

couldnt you also do a track visit in France aswell

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:27 pm

http://www.trackdays.fr/carte-de-france-des-circuits-automobiles

abbeville - ive been to look at, looks like a fantastic track

Circuit de Croix-en-Ternois and clasteres another too good tracks

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:09 pm

There is a track day on Friday 17th at Fontanaye le compe.  It is about 4 hours from Normandy.  Fantastic track as I was there last week.  It is a jersey company so no problems with insurance.  If you do a French track day you need special insurance which you cannot get from uk so you have to pay extra for it.  I will see if anything is happening at le mans which is not far.
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR

dilemma67

Post by dilemma67 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Julian
Steve Gibson
Mark Wetherall
Simon G

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:25 pm

[quote="markwetherall"]
There is a track day on Friday 17th at Fontanaye le compe.  It is about 4 hours from Normandy.  Fantastic track as I was there last week.  It is a jersey company so no problems with insurance.  If you do a French track day you need special insurance which you cannot get from uk so you have to pay extra for it.  I will see if anything is happening at le mans which is not far.
[/quote]

ive done track days in france and not taken any insurance out before.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:16 am

was it organised by a uk company or by a French company.  Uk companies hold the 3rd party insurance that is needed whereas French companies don't and expect the drivers to have it.  They get it with there insurance policy's as standard
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:48 am

Just to let you know.  Long range weather forecast looks brilliant for the whole of Normandy.  What plans have you made for hotel.  is everyone is staying in the same hotel for all the nights or are you moving around to different hotels
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR

julian

Post by julian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:07 am

Mark, 1st night hopefully wii be at the Mercure, Deauville, then we will move on, Steve and I will sort route and hotels with a view that we will all stay in the same ones.

Good news about the weather, I haven't seen the forecast.

Regards

Julian

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 am

I will have to leave you on Sunday around 2:00pm so if you could plan the Saturday night hotel nearer to St Malo, somewhere on the Caen side I can hang around longer with everyone.  Let me know which hotel you are in so I can book in as well.
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR