'Sunday Drivers' - A weekend of the best roads in Wales - 6-7th July 2013

Where driving is the aim of the game
toms

'Sunday Drivers' - A weekend of the best roads in Wales - 6-7th July 2013

Post by toms » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 am

Hi all

Ben Daniel and I have been talking about a re-run of the Welsh weekend from last year.  It'll be a full weekend of Welsh exploration with a good old fashioned dinner and knees up, Atom Club style, on the Saturday evening.

The start point will be Tesco car park in Pontypool NP4 6JU on the Saturday morning, time TBC.  From there we will take in some great roads and scenery, finishing the day at Llangennith on the Gower Peninsula.  I have a list of accommodation that Ben has given to me so just ping me an e-mail and I'll get that over to you if required.  We do need to start thinking about booking fairly soon as hotels and B&B's are going to get full up pretty quickly at that time of year and we need to get numbers for the Saturday night meal.  Ben has sorted off road Atom parking at one location in the village too....

Following a not too early and nice leisurely start we'll take in some more great roads and photo opportunities, finishing up back at Pontypool.

Any questions - please ask!

Who's in?

Rob Evans

Re: 'Sunday Drivers' - A weekend of the best roads in Wales - 6-7th July 2013

Post by Rob Evans » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Another one I can't attend due to work. Gah!
From Atom 2 245 to Atom 4 350, via Atom 3 300 and Atom 3.5 310

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Tom,

Count me and SWMBO in on this one again, I still have the ITN files so we can easily tweak it if needed.

Adrian

deepdurks

Post by deepdurks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Clearing my diary now, the accomodation is the key to this, last year was a min of 2 nights, anyone know if it's still the same?

Regards
Mark
3.5 300, MX5 and 16,000 tons of nuclear deterrent

julian

Post by julian » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Dear All,

I would be up for this, why don't we make it 2 nights? The place I stayed in was excellent in the village, if we booked early enough we could get a table at the pub next door to save that mini bus ride. Can't remember names but I can find out.

Julian

toms

Post by toms » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:33 pm

2 nights sounds good - i've got a list of accomodation.....

B&Bs in Llangennith

• Bremmel Cottage – Ben and Angela are staying here.  There is one twin room still available (shares bathroom with a double guest bedroom). 
Owners - Jan and Robin Bevan.  Postcode:  SA3 1HU. 
Tel:  01792 386308.  Please ensure you state you are our friends and are joining the Ben Daniel celebrations, as this is a private arrangement

• Western House –  3 rooms (2 doubles and 1 family room) 
Owners – Steve & Pippa.  Postcode:  SA3 1HU. 
Tel: 01792 386620.  E-mail: stevepippa@llangennith.freeserve.co.uk

• Kings Head hotel – centre of village - 27 ensuite rooms (new) – mixture of doubles and twins.  Probably the most expensive accommodation in the village - approx £100 per room per night!  Postcode:  SA3 1HX. 
Tel: 01792 386212.  E-mail:  info@kingsheadgower.co.uk

• Blas Gwyr – brand new luxury boutique B&B (5 star) – 4 double ensuite rooms.  Website:  www.blasgwyr.co.uk
Tel: 01792 386472.  E-mail:  info@blasgwyr.co.uk

• Lower Mill Cottage – 2 rooms
Tel: 01792 386666

• Ashbourne Villas – 2 rooms.  Owner – Rosy
Tel: 01792 386288

• Sunnymead – 2 rooms but only occasional use.  Owner – Judith
Tel: 01792 386348

• Plum Cottage – not sure if still in operation.  Owner – Victoria
Tel:  01792 386214.  E-mail:  info@collegehousegower.com

Campsites in/near Llangennith

• Hillend caravan and camping park – on Llangennith beach - spectacular! 
Website:  www.hillendcamping.co.uk – but not working when last looked.
Tel:  01792 386204

• Kennexton campsite – half mile outside of village
Tel:  01792 386790

• Hardings Down Farm – outside village - bunkhouse with shared facilities
Tel:  01792 386222

deepdurks

Post by deepdurks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 pm

I take it we mean Friday & Saturday nights? Dinner in the pub on Saturday if we can. The Pontypool start time will need to accommodate a lie-in of course.  :wize:

Regards  Mark
3.5 300, MX5 and 16,000 tons of nuclear deterrent

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 pm

I've just booked the twin room at Bremmel Cottage so they are now fully booked.

Also, just as a note, Blas Gwyr will only accept bookings for two or more night and they have 2 rooms left.

Adrian

julian

Post by julian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 pm

I am slightly confused, is this now 1 night or 2? Last time the aim was to meet on the Saturday Morning in Pontypool and all drive together to West Wales. If this is now 2 do we meet in Pontypool on the Friday and why are we not all staying in the same hotel ie the Kings Hotel, I haven't checked availability. Am I missing something?

Julian

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Julian, we are only staying the one night so meeting at Pontypool Saturday morning.
I just mentioned that some hotels only accept a minimum of a 2 night stay i.e. Blas Gwyr
We stayed at Bremmel Cottage last year so fancied going back there.

Adrian

Ben Daniel

Post by Ben Daniel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi All,

Apologies for taking it little while to get my backside into gear.  I've just spoken Robyn Bevan at Bremmel Cottage, he is happy to make two extra rooms available - 1 double and 1 twin, on the basis that I don't normally turn up with a bunch of barbarians!

I've told him we are most likely to just want the Saturday night, but I think we could change this to Friday and Saturday should people want this.

As for eating options on the Saturday, The people at  the Kings Head (pub in Llangennith) do not seem to like taking bookings (did not want to for my 40th B.day or for last years trip).  I will ask them again as its very much more convenient than the Greyhound and also in the light of our somewhat disappointing experience there last year.   

I would caution that the Kings head can get extremely busy in the summer and that it would be extremely risky to rely on getting a big table there on the night.  We have several other options outside the village, I'll try and post a list in the near future.  If we do go outside, the community minibus seems the obvious transport option again.

Cheers.

Ben

Ben Daniel

Post by Ben Daniel » Wed May 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Much to my surprise, the Kings Head were happy to take a booking, so I've provisionally booked a table with an estimate of 6-10 people, on the basis of finalising this nearer the time.

On other matters, if anyone wants to make this a three day event, Motorsport Events are running a trackday at Castle Coombe on Friday 5:07.

Cheers.

Ben

toms

Post by toms » Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 am

Right then everyone - we need to get a firm idea of numbers for this, so here's a list!  Add away  :tu:

Benupatree
Tom

GAZ

Post by GAZ » Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi Ben & Tom
As a new member to the club I've not been on any tours as yet so not sure what to expect , I do like the sound of this tour and would b up for it . Not sure of the area what do i need to do about accommidation etc
Cheers Gaz