Portugal Trip - 2017

Where driving is the aim of the game
reg

Re: Portugal Trip - 2017

Post by reg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:42 pm

[quote="Alex BS"]

Reg, happy to have a chat on this and see if we can find an suitable leg. I won't get 2 weeks either...
[/quote]

Good stuff, sounds like a plan.
'he was reet fast'

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:24 am

OK all, an update, and some other points...

NOMADS
can't we persuade at least one Nomad to join us?

PLANNING MEETING
I am proposing to meet up with Steve Gibson in west London somewhere on Thu 29 late afternoon.  Details to follow.  Not essential for tour members to be there, but we will give details soon if you wish to join us.

TOUR TIMETABLE
I fully understand that its a big commitment in time especially if you have young families or work constraints.  I get the feedback that 2 weeks is out of the question for some.  However bearing in mind about 3 days of that is time on the ferry it limits our time at the other end, but more important is the ferry time tables which restrict us.  I can work a great tour based on 12 days including ferry time.  That would give us just over a week of touring time.  If you wished to return earlier, based on ferry timetables, you would only have 4 days touring time, which is probably not worth it?  12 days...persuade your other halves and bosses etc...it will be a tour to remember.  I know some do this every year, but for most of us it will be a one off.  In terms of timing we could do July or September.  I know Ian can only do September.  Any preferences for the others?  July will have marginally better weather.

TOUR PROGRAMME
In those 12 days the revised proposal would be more of a northern Spain and northern Portugal trip.  Drop the Lisbon and Algarve bits, but still have a great trip.    Northern Spain start off with a tour through Cantabria Asturias, down through the Picos de Europa national park into Castille  (the mountain roads part).  Cross into northern Portugal, and down the Douro valley into Porto.  Then up the coast to Spanish border. Cross into Galicia, covering some of the coastal areas (great seafood) then diagonally across Galicia towards Gijon and back to Santander.  I think that would be a great trip covering 3 distinct regions/scenery.  I will post details later.
Last edited by GraemeW on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:10 am

I like the sound of Northern Spain and Portugal.
12 days is perfect.
Not sure I can make the planning meeting, sorry.
I have to be back in the UK for 27th July, otherwise both July or September are good for me.
Not sure the factory will have my Atom4 ready tho...
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:43 pm

NOMADS
can't we persuade at least one Nomad to join us?

Thinking about this trip ,but 10 days would be max for me....
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:01 pm

July certainly works best for me with childcare help for the other half, annoyingly i have a ticket for the cricket at Trent Bridge on the Friday 14th July. It could get sold of course but would be a shame to miss that too.

Portugal would definitely take precedence mind!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 am

Update, in case you think its all forgotten. :)

Over the last month or so, Ive been researching routes, and a programme based on 11 days driving including some shorter driving days and a zero driving day.  This fits in with ferry timetable.  I will publish this shortly so we can plan and book.  I am meeting with Steve this week to finalise.

As stated before, due to the time, we will focus on North western Spain and northern Portugal.

We will start out from Santander and drive up into Picos de Europa national park area in Cantabria.  Some spectacular scenery and driving roads.  Down into Castille and Leon, across to Northern Portugal.  This area is flat and some very straight roads.  Miles and miles of "f "all.  However this is a dramatic contrast to the mountains of Cantabria, with big skies and perspectives.  Cross into Portugal and the scenery changes again,  down into the Douro valley wine region.  I was determined to include the section voted by Avis as the No 1 best driving road in the world...

http://www.avisbestroad.com/uk/the-top-25-roads/

This was not easy, as its quite a remote area, but also accommodation is tight so we will need to book soon.  I drove it 30 years ago in a piece of ****.  I would love to drive it in an Atom on a good day with a clear road.  It is a great road, and since the Avis publicity its drawing in more visitors, and like the NC500 in Scotland, it will soon have too many petrol heads plying the route.  So lets get in now.  (Nomad owners do the NC500 now!)

We will then follow the river down to Porto, Portugal's second city.  Take a break there then up the north coast of Portugal in Galicia, Spain and back to Santander.

Watch this space

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks G. Are you still thinking July or September?

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Good question Alex.  It's 50 50 really.  For some of you Sep is more convenient and others July.  Weather wise July will be quite hot and busier with tourists (but still outside school holidays). It's the driest month also. September will be slightly cooler, less busy, double the average rainfall as July,  but double of very little is still very little rainfall. 

My preference is July.  If a majority of those coming prefer September then we can change, but please advise ASAP.  Want to publish a plan in the next week
Last edited by GraemeW on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 pm

My preference would be July, based on the potentially fantastic weather (the Pyrenees gave us 10 minutes of rain in 2 weeks driving last year) and the fact that September might have an Ariel Club Autumn weekender in it.

S
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 pm

I like July, must be back b4 the 28th tho
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 am

July was my choice also tbh.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:49 am

Oh and not that I'm pulling favours but if there is any way to avoid the 13th/14th that would be amazing. I have my first ever ticket for  the international cricket at Trent Bridge on the 13th!

julian

Post by julian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 am

You are never going to accommodate everyone with an 11 day holiday, and people throwing in odd dates for you to try and avoid with ferry crossings which are restricted on that route.

I don't know what Steves thoughts are but avoid the 'economie' ferry. I did the cruise version last year with decent bar, cabin, cinema etc, enjoyable.

Others did economie and didn't enjoy, plus longer, 30 hours.

Julian

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 am

[quote="julian"]

I don't know what Steve's thoughts are but avoid the 'economie' ferry.

[/quote]

It was fine by me. It's a simpler boat, but there is a good saving to be had on the budget ferry.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 am

Agree with Steve. The saving is significant although the budget boat doesn't have the frills and the food is shite (although there are cinemas). The rooms aren't as big either, but you're only going to sleep in them, not ballroom dance. It's a trade-off, but probably worthwhile. And anyway , so long as the hotels etc. are oK on the tour, it'll be offset comfort.

I think one of the key aspects of this is to decide on a budget for the trip.

The organisers would be well advised to factor in hotel costs as well as food, fuel, drinks etc.

Personally, I would advise paying for the accommodation and ferries up front as a group rather than leaving it to individuals to settle hotel bills. I know this isn't Steve's view, but I just think it works better.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London