Atomfest UK 2010

Less driving, more natter. For when you just want to hookup.

When would you like it?

w/c 09.08.10
No votes
w/c 16.08.10
11%
w/c 23.08.10
14%
w/c 30.08.10
18%
w/c 06.09.10
18%
w/c 13.09.10
7%
Any of the above
32%

Total votes: 28

Driver

Atomfest UK 2010

Post by Driver » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:44 pm

What would people, IF this were to occur, what would people like to see happen?

I'll start it off with my top 3:

• A trip to the factory
  • A tunnel run cruise
  • A day at the Nurburgring

benyeats

Re: Atom Festival in the UK

Post by benyeats » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:50 pm

Point of order, the Nurburgring is not in the UK ;)  more seriously it is quite far for a day trip.

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:55 pm

I can dream though can't I? :)

Besides people have said it'd more likely be in France due to the high costs of a track in the UK as most are coporate owned and would be super expensive to get for a few solid days. Maybe the title should be Atom Festival in Europe?

Oh and a day at Goodwood's FOS would be cool but I'll have to wait for a separate vacation for things like that or the Ring I guess. I'm just throwing some things out there.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Definitely not in the UK - cost, noise levels, accessibility etc, would all point to France in my view.

However, nothing to stop this incorporating various track days if anyone wants to bring their own car over...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:20 pm

[quote="Driver"]
What would people, IF this were to occur, what would people like to see happen?

I'll start it off with my top 3:

• A trip to the factory
  • A tunnel run cruise
  • A day at the Nurburgring
[/quote]

Bruce and Alec in chicken suits

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm away for the month, but Bruce and I will talk about AtomFest UK.

In real terms I have started talking to Simon and Bruce about 2010 which Simon sees as the 10th Anniversary of the Atom.  (We are in very early stages i.e. just talking.)  I see this very much as a UK based event.  Anything in between could be classed as a "mini me" AtomFest.

The biggest problem for me was not having an Atom.  So for 2010 I am determined to have Atoms available for hire or "just there" to ensure there are Atoms available for those who do not bring their own (no idea how yet).

It will be interesting to see how this thread developes over the month I am away.
Last edited by John Lloyd on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:20 am

I WILL be going to the next AtomFest regardless of location.

If its held in the UK, a trip to the Factory definitely! - which I would want to do anyway actually. I would like to say a personal thanks to the people responsible for building my car. Some Hawkes' Bay, New Zealand wine will be brought over...
I'd love to do the Ring but it comes down to cars available and shipping mine there and back again isnt going to happen. It also a damn long way... Maybe Darth is up to it...

Mostly it would be to meet the Ariel and UK guys and whoever else turns up. I'd ideally like a track focussed event but would be happy with lots of technical information on servicing, checks, setups as it would be more useful for me down here in distant NZ and besides I can get track time and instruction locally.

I'd like to coincide it with a Europe trip in general as I have not been to the UK/France/Germany/Italy etc so would want to go around the place a bit as well.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:04 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Definitely not in the UK - cost, noise levels, accessibility etc, would all point to France in my view.

However, nothing to stop this incorporating various track days if anyone wants to bring their own car over...
[/quote]

Have been thinking about this but most owners are in the UK.

We had a chat in the car back from Atomfest and I mentioned Brunters as a possible venue, the downside is the crappy track surface but the upsides are many:

-Cheap to rent 'vs other UK venues
-4 rental Atoms on site for international visitors (very very important imo)
-Pro-atom management / very Atom experience workshop crew
-Loads of space for additional driving events i.e. skid pan, handling course
-Nearby good hotel
-More likely to allow timing on the circuit
-Can configure the circuit to our needs, i.e. add / remove chicanes etc

However the idea of Abbeville is also attractive because a day hoon to Paris could be done !

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:24 am

So... what are the essentials for a festival?

Exclusivity?
Critical mass?
Race track?
Accomodation?
Spare cars?
Factory involvement?
Race 'shop' for repairs?
Formal education sessions?
Evening entertainment?
Communal eating?
Road trip?
Sponsors?
Kit to experiment with?
Merchandise?
Ease of access?
Geographically central?
Inexpensive?
Timing - both time of year and re-occurence?

Not suggesting that any of these are right or wrong...

Your thoughts...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:08 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
So... what are the essentials for a festival?

Exclusivity?  Should be Atom only yes
Critical mass? More the merrier
Race track?  or runway or anywhere with no smokies
Accomodation? yes, but quality not that important as its only a bed
Spare cars? yes, for visitors
Factory involvement?  nice to have
Race 'shop' for repairs? Good idea, but have managed plenty track days in the UK without
Formal education sessions? not sure about class room time but instruction in car yes
Evening entertainment? does not need to be formal but was a big part of Atomfest
Communal eating? nice to have but less vital with more people
Road trip? don't care
Sponsors? if they are relevant, i.e. not Atomfest in association with toilet duck
Kit to experiment with? don't care
Merchandise? don't care
Ease of access? well I just traveled 3000+ miles so I guess not vital
Geographically central? see above
Inexpensive? Atomfest was unbelievably cheap, don't think higher prices would have put anyone off
Timing - both time of year and re-occurence? whenever rain is less likely

Not suggesting that any of these are right or wrong...

Your thoughts...

[/quote]

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:31 pm

Bruce asked: So... what are the essentials for a festival?
  • Exclusivity? Past, present and Future Atom Owners - Although I'd like to see a hoon that would include MUCH exotica we wouldn't normally see over here and a way for others to bring their Bugatti or classic along.
  • Critical mass? The more the merrier. Didn't really notice any extra people significantly at AtomFest and the community should not feel snubbed just because we took over. if we can't share our enthusiasm what fiun would that be. I'd like to see a charity tie in with children or the like one day.
  • Race track? Any dedicated venue like a track should likely be "ours" to keep out the riff raf.
  • Accomodation? What and Bruce would give up the chance to shove us all into the English version of a Caravan as payback for his AtomFest accomodations? :) Not important, Just so we can sleep somewhere without critturs crawling all over us, or freezing our nads off.
  • Spare cars? Would be nice for the factory to have a few cars there so attendees could take a test drive on public roads or for a operator that rents them could have some at the track for more spirited rides. Also need accomodations for the rental cars that will undoubtly need a little "track time".
  • Factory involvement? Definitely. It was so cool to see them at AtomFest.
  • Race 'shop' for repairs? You mean a Atom might need repairs (feigns surprise)?
  • Formal education sessions? I don't think I can learn French in just one day I'm barely able to string a coherent sentence together in English.
  • Evening entertainment? Watching Ben Yeats, Bruce, Rob and John Lloyd drink amd throwing CalScot and Spaz in to egg them on is not entertainment enough? I know where we could find some 350lb OK women in wet t-shirts that will be missing Robbie about now.
  • Communal eating? Sure, why not, gotta eat sometime.
  • Road trip? We are there, might as well see how people in England react and see some famous places as well. A hoon around would be great!
  • Sponsors? Sure, find a billionaire to underwrite the entire event. Don't see why not.
  • Kit to experiment with? As long as it doesn't detract from the time to socialize with others, time is too valuable to dedicate a hour(s) to some esoteric device.
  • Merchandise? Sure, we all need more t-shirts with a Atom theme (as long as they don't come with the evening entertainment still wearing them).
  • Ease of access? What would it be to go to England and not get lost at least once and need a GPS to find our way?
  • Geographically central? Who cares as long as we're all together.
  • Inexpensive? The more money I spend there, the longer it'll take for me to get my Atom if I'm still saving (not a far stretch at  the moment). But I'll be there either way.
  • Timing - both time of year and re-occurence? Doesn't matter when, as long as the weather has a chance of cooperating.
Not that any of these are right or wrong...  Build it and they will come, just ask Randy.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:18 pm

[quote="benyeats"]

However the idea of Abbeville is also attractive because a day hoon to Paris could be done !

Ben

[/quote]

Having just done a day at Abbeville I reckon that this is a great circuit, although the infrastructure is a little basic (no garage facilities, onsite catering etc etc.)  There are a few other local circuits too apparently, it might be possible to find a central location to stay/eat, and select a different track to visit each day.  From somewhere in Norther France, this could include Spa and Le Mans I guess. 

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:44 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Exclusivity? Atom enthusiasts and owners past, present and future. I dont mind others attending but it should definitely be ATOM centred
Critical mass? As many as can make it
Race track? Would be good, but if it is too difficult to arrange, then a road trip would be just as good.
Accomodation? Any bed is fine.
Spare cars? Would be nice, but maybe not easily do-able
Factory involvement? A must have for me really
Race 'shop' for repairs? ? Dont mind
Formal education sessions? Servicing and setup and maintainence, racing lines, techniques etc
Evening entertainment? I am sure that wont be difficult with good British beer!
Communal eating? Makes things sociable so yes whereever possible
Road trip? In lieu of a track it might be good to drive around and meet up
Sponsors? In theme or not at all
Kit to experiment with? Not essential
Merchandise?Not essential although I am sure it would sell
Ease of access?I guess if its easy for people to attend then they will be more likely to
Geographically central? ditto
Inexpensive? Reasonable costs are fine. I dont expect it to be free...
Timing - both time of year and re-occurence?  Good weather would be nice... difficult in the UK I know...
[/quote]

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Have been thinking about this but most owners are in the UK.

We had a chat in the car back from Atomfest and I mentioned Brunters as a possible venue, the downside is the crappy track surface but the upsides are many:

-Cheap to rent 'vs other UK venues
-4 rental Atoms on site for international visitors (very very important imo)
-Pro-atom management / very Atom experience workshop crew
-Loads of space for additional driving events i.e. skid pan, handling course
-Nearby good hotel
-More likely to allow timing on the circuit
-Can configure the circuit to our needs, i.e. add / remove chicanes etc
[/quote]

I agree completely - Bruntingthorpe makes the most sense for all the above reasons - particularly the fact they've already got Atoms for hire, and a workshop on site.

rlucking

Post by rlucking » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:11 am

[quote="Atom120"]
I agree completely - Bruntingthorpe makes the most sense for all the above reasons - particularly the fact they've already got Atoms for hire, and a workshop on site.
[/quote]

According to their website, they have "superb Aerial Atoms" :)
http://www.bruntingthorpe.com/corporate_events.htm