Trailer question

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
atomiser

Re: Trailer question

Post by atomiser » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:05 pm

With regard to loading rear or front forward. It's the nose weight that counts! And therefore the trailer balance.

Mines 65kg - and rear loading the atom results in around 105kg so I have have the atom well back to bring it to below 75kg nose weight.

For the ramps, if its latched and stows underneath the bed that's no different to mine. My previous version was pinned and directly exposed to the underside of the car - the 'cheap' club sports ones are like that - or at least mine was. Very useable but took around 5-10mins to get right.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

dunny

Post by dunny » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi,
I started off with my Nomad reversed on to the trailer. Only trouble is that our lovely windscreen turns into a bug catcher and anything else that goes over my pickup roof [cats,dogs,sheep and the odd cyclist].Subsequently i drove it on head first [easier] and it towed just as well with the rear wheels as near to the trailer axle as Henry said.
P.S. the afor mentioned flora and fauna appears to carry merrily on it's way now :)
P.P.S. speaking of flora and fauna i am still finding bit's of Salisbury plain in my car from our Summer outing.I am thinking of leaving it in because it gives off a pleasing glow at night.
Dunny.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:19 pm

HenryJS wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 am
Please, always load your Atom on backwards, to keep weight over the nose of the trailer. If you are lucky enough to have a trailer big enough to have the rear wheels almost over the axle whilst loading forwards - go for it!

That is actually a very simple yet effective video at showing the different loading techniques, thanks for sharing. I hadn't actually thought about loading the car on backwards.

I do think an enclosed trailer is what I am leaning towards. It's like everything in life, it always ends up costing more than you had thought. If I went for a open trailer, I'd need to buy a cover because I don't want the trailer taking up a garage space - the garage is meant for more toys.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Probably need to factor a dehumidifier into that equation. When I kept my mk2 atom in a detached garage where humidity was well over 60%, anything that would rust, did I.e. paint chips, rose joints etc.

Now with 2 dehumidifiers installed, even the brake discs dont rust. Also great for drying out a wet car!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk