Overwhelming colour scheme

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Karl V

Re: Overwhelming colour scheme

Post by Karl V » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 pm

Evening all.

As the winter sets in, I'm keen to shed the cold blue and pearl white of the girl's current nose job for something a bit more 'uplifting' to see me through to Spring.

I must confess, I ended up destroying the blue nose with - what seemed at the time - undisputably hilarious snowflake decals in the lead up to Christmas.

IMG_20181202_184715222.jpg
IMG_20181202_184715222.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1487 times
Anyway, we're not here to judge... I hope.

I'm now torn on what to consider as the next nose job. I like Candy Apple Red (NOT lipstick colour!). A metallic purple still beckons. There's a vibrant yellow that may pierce its way through the impending snow fall.

Or has the time come to experiment with chrome? Chrome. Chrome gold. Chrome bronze.

Pretty sure I'm not at the stage of considering 'urban camouflage' or 'Katy Price pink'.

Too many choices! Anyone got any ideas?

I've already ruled out PlayStation and Xbox livery due to potential lawsuits...

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 am

Flames!

You need flames on there pronto! ;)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 am

Yes!

Much better than bullet holes or claw marks.

I'm on it...

woodsypedia

Post by woodsypedia » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:53 am

Oh nice! I've got a spare set of panels that I'm having wrapped blue. I wonder what the rules are with the DVLA and Police. The colour on the V5 is the colour of the original panels - not the grey frame. Assuming I have to tell them?

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:30 am

woodsypedia wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:53 am Oh nice! I've got a spare set of panels that I'm having wrapped blue. I wonder what the rules are with the DVLA and Police. The colour on the V5 is the colour of the original panels - not the grey frame. Assuming I have to tell them?
This is what holds me back from panel changes.

My car is registered under the panel colour (ie yellow) so i am fairly sure you should inform the DVLA and insurance if you change the panel colours. Just like you would if you had a saloon car re-sprayed a different colour. I agree you'd probably be able to blag it if you got stopped by a copper, but if you had a crash you would probably have invalidated your insurance and insurance companies like to avoid paying out if they discover un-approved mods / changes.

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:04 am

The notes for the colour on a V5 say:

Note: where a vehicle has two colours, both descriptions should be entered on the V5, for example ‘black and white’. For a vehicle with three colours or more enter ‘multi-coloured’.

I had mine down as Red / Black (frame/panels) but there's also quite a lot of silver visible and some yellow. If I had wanted to change panel colours regularly I might have stretched the point and said multi-coloured. (just my 2p)

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:10 am

I honestly think you are worrying about nothing. The panels are such a small part of the car I dont think it would matter. My V5C on previous Atoms said Multicoloured but I havent actually looked at the present Nomad one.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 am

My V5 was originally grey / green due to the grey chassis and green bonnet.

I changed the V5 to grey / black, being the chassis and majority of bodywork.

Now the bonnet, which is such a small part of the bodywork, changes quite frequently.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:04 am

Karl V wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 am My V5 was originally grey / green due to the grey chassis and green bonnet.

I changed the V5 to grey / black, being the chassis and majority of bodywork.

Now the bonnet, which is such a small part of the bodywork, changes quite frequently.
In that case then i think your are fine. :tu: As long as the colours stated match i can't see a problem.

But on my v5 it says colour yellow. If i went for a different panel colour the v5 would be 100% wrong. Thats the issue for me.

Sounds like getting a v5 stating multi-coloured is the best option! I will bear that in mind for my 4! :tu:

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 am

Yes, mine states multi Coloured. The best option. I didn't request it, so perhaps Ariel document it routinely like that now?

77_TYX

Post by 77_TYX » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm still waiting for my V5 to come through (4wks after picking it up)...but whatever it is I'll change it to multicoloured when it does arrive.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:04 am

[mention]Peter255[/mention] - changing a V5 for a colour change is fairly straightforward if you want to experiment with different panel colours. It may even be a quicker job than waiting for your 4 ;-)

I raised this with Henry when the Nomad went through IVA, but it still came out as grey / green, even though grey and black were the most predominant colours.

I opted for a V5 change to grey / black being a grey frame and black tub/mud guards/front fairing/rear fairing - all of which can't be changed easily.

I was never challenged by the DVLA. I just received a new V5. In fact, they have me down as driving a black car, even though it's more mud colour at the moment...

Screenshot_20190320-235039.png
Screenshot_20190320-235039.png (192.88 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Lessons learned... 1) You can change your V5 for a colour change quite easily 2) Don't wait or hope you new Ariel will be delivered with a V5 colour of your choosing. Some old bloke called Wilfred will choose the colour of your V5 doc 3) See 1...

Go for it!

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:06 am

This is an interesting thread as my car has two sets of panels - one purple flip painted (which it has been wearing most of its 11 years) and one black which is put on for its MOT as it has a front number plate on it. It has a gunmetal chassis - the V5 says black and silver.

Just be aware that any colour changes on your V5 will be flagged on a hpi/car check report. Although this is easily explained (especially if you take pictures or have the panels) the multicolour option is probably an easier option, and the one I'll take.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am

Fastlane

It had never occurred to me to amend the V5! I look back very fondly on that car, I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

Alan

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:47 am

Hi Alan.

I saw your 3.5R at the factory a couple of weeks ago, it looks very nice indeed! Hope Steve managed to fix your gearbox problem, he said it was most likelys a Chinese seal that failed.

Your old car has been off the road for a few months while I do a few jobs ready for the Spring. Can't wait to have my first trip out.😀

Cheers,

Tim
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range