Misleading adverts

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
autobackup

Misleading adverts

Post by autobackup » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 am

Can anyone explain to me why many Ariel Atoms offered for sale on PistonHeads persistently state in their specifications that they are ".....Front Engined...."?

There is also a May 2018 3.5R currently being offered for sale for £72995 that claims that it has the K4 2.0L engine fitted?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ec/8953512

Given that Ariel switched some time ago to the 2.4L engine for the Atom this rather surprises me - can it possibly be true?

Apparently is also has 'Ohlins 4 way adjustable remote reservoir dampers' - can't see the remote reservoirs in the photos! They look to me like the standard Ohlins as fitted by Ariel!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Peter255

Re: Misleading adverts

Post by Peter255 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:43 am

I'll have a stab. :D

The front engine bit is jibberish. I often see controvertible used as well. :o As you say the Ohlins also do not have remote reservoirs.

The pictures do show a 2ltr engine with the 4 pipe tubular manifold. It looks to be the new silver top 2ltr engine. I have seen it fitted to Stephen "winmoz"'s car. Ariel has jumped around a bit of late with Atom 3.5 engines as they ran our of 2ltr red tops. They shifted to the 2.4 then evidently to this new silver top 2ltr. Rather confusing for buyers IMO. They all apparently have the similar power figures which is a little suspect but thats what Ariel say.

Personally i am not a fan of the 2.4 for Atoms (the car suits high revs), and wouldn't want a silver top 2ltr. That seems like a backwards step to me. But its all irrelevant now as they have moved back to the new 2ltr turbo red top.

It is all rather confusing though and does no favours to owners or buyers.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks Peter - I wasn't aware that Ariel had used the silver top 2.0L for any of the latest 3.5Rs.

However the basic point I was trying to make is that someone asking for almost £73000 for his (her?) 3 month old Atom 3.5R in what is purported to be a 'Private Seller' advert surely would positively ensure that the description of the car is absolutely accurate otherwise it raises all sorts of queries in anyone who might be interested - i.e is it a actually a dealer (masquarading as a private seller) who simply doesn't know his onions?

In my opinion someone who is selling after only three months makes me extremely suspicious that it was only bought to flip at a profit!

However that said, I can understand the 'convertible' bit because when I sold my old M5 via PistonHeads I discovered that you are only offered a few options in the dropdown menu - one of which you HAVE to select (i.e. it is mandatory) - and the ony selectable option that even vaguely fits an Atom's description is 'convertible'!!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:24 am

I saw those 2.0L in the factory a short while back. No integratd exhaust port. What does this engine rev to though?? 7200

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Nick

So if I understand your post correctly it would appear rather unlikely that this particular 3.5R is actually producing 350bhp?

Since it has the 2.0L silver top engine installed would this car (with the published spec) be a bit cheaper to buy than the 2.4L version from Ariel?

If this is the case then I suspect that it was only bought to flip for a profit!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 pm

RE: the 2.4l or the 2.0 engines, when I ordered my car last winter I was told by Steve I think it was, that Ariel moved over to the 2.4l - the same engine found in the Nomand for a brief amount of time but soon realized that the Atom is better suited to the 2.0l engine instead, so they shortly went back to that engine. So I am confident any Atom ordered from Oct 2017 at least, would have the 2.0l engine.

RE: the shocks, they are technically remote reservoirs, they are just inline. The TTX ones that you buy from Ariel are the TTX36 and they look like they don't have a reservoir but they do and they were made this way for GT cars and cars like the Atom due to confined space. See here for more info: https://www.ohlins.com/product/ttx36-in ... piggyback/

autobackup: I don't understand why one would wait so long for a car then decide to sell it either. My best guess is they want the v4.0 Atom or as you mentioned trying to make money out of it. But even if someone pays £73k for it, I would guess without figuring out the list cost of this Atom exactly,
my best guess is the car would have cost about ~£60k so they would make a £12-13k profit. It doesn't make sense to wait almost 2 years for such small amount of money in my opinion. The type of people that buy these types of cars are clearly not strapped for cash. In other words there are much better ways of investing £60k that will most certainly yield more than £13k over 2 years.

Simon

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 am

autobackup wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:08 pm Nick

So if I understand your post correctly it would appear rather unlikely that this particular 3.5R is actually producing 350bhp?

Since it has the 2.0L silver top engine installed would this car (with the published spec) be a bit cheaper to buy than the 2.4L version from Ariel?

If this is the case then I suspect that it was only bought to flip for a profit!
There is no chance of Ariel selling the 2ltr silver top cheaper. :roflp: Or even admitting if that motor does not produce the same BHP. ;) Why would they? That effectively relegates the cars with that engine to a lesser value. No way they'd do that to their products.

I wouldn't want one anyway due to the prestige of the red top. Let alone admitting the engine is less powerful. The interesting point is what are the technical differences between the silver and red top 2ltrs. What does the Type R engine have that the Type S does not? I am guessing different cams. I think the rev limit would normally be different but Ariel can probably alter that via the ECU.

Both the 2.4 and silver top 2ltr is a no-no for me. Its a shame they were evidently late with the turbo car and went through this confusing phase with 2 new and in some ways lesser engines when they ran out of 2ltr red tops!

We need a dyno day. I suspect the findings would be interesting from a comparison point of view. And i know people will always argue that the figures cannot be trusted. But for comparison IMO they can. I would be surprised if all these 3 engine types gave the same power delivery and max figures.

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 am

to clarify!

the red top and silver top K20Z engines are EXACTLY the same. Same rev limit, same power, same bore and stroke etc etc etc.

The red top one was made for the UK, the silver top one for the US.

The silver top one is NOT from a Type S. Its a Civic Si engine. (us equivalent to the the Type R)

The K24Z engine is also American, and while has a lower rev limit, produces the same BHP - but more torque.

That 3.5R will have a K20Z engine in it. And will be producing 350BHP!

None of the engines are 'lesser' than the others - the only difference really is in the K24. If i was fortunate enough to be able to have an Atom, id have a supercharged 2.4... more torque low down, and you dont need to rev the blown cars hard to get them to shift...

hope that clears that up :tu:

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Good to hear the official line from the factory. :tu: But it is still rather confusing for prospective buyers.

Moving between engines like that for the 3.5 is unfortunate. But as the new car wasn't ready and they had run out of red tops there was no other option.

If i had a silver top i'd look to get it painted for the aesthetics if nothing else. But thats just me. :D

I'd still be up for a dyno day though. I like to see the cars screaming on the rollers, and it's good to check your car is running right.

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Was going to say that I don’t think there are any tech spec differences between the red top and the silver top bar the crackle glaze. But someone beat me to it.

Part codes should confirm also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom