Be careful if you have no front number plate on your car

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Anon

Be careful if you have no front number plate on your car

Post by Anon » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm

I got pulled over by the police for not having a front number plate and incorrect rear plate. Norfolk police tend to be at the extreme end, but be careful. They did mention they had caught other exotic cars recently, the examples given was a Huracan, McLaren 570S and a super bike that had a plate too small.
image.png
image.png (8.61 MiB) Viewed 888 times

CliveJ

Re: Be careful if you have no front number plate on your car

Post by CliveJ » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 pm

That sucks, sorry to hear that - did you get a polite talking to or a fine / penalty? Looks like they're writing you up :(

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:06 pm

Ah man - bummer!

What were the ins and outs of this Simon?

We were talking only yesterday about how folklore dictates that it is better to have no number plate and get a fine than one of those stick on jobbies and be done for 'fake plates' etc.

All pub talk of course, but did you get any specifics on the topic?

And were they following and decide to pull, or were they in front stopping traffic? Wondering if the rear plate is what caught their eye...

Yogiatom

Post by Yogiatom » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:44 pm

They look like a nasty pair to me. Did not get pulled yesterday. I have sticky front plate and wrong size rear plate.
Police followed us and drove past to have a look.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm

[mention]Karl V[/mention]
We were talking only yesterday about how folklore dictates that it is better to have no number plate and get a fine than one of those stick on jobbies and be done for 'fake plates' etc.
That’s definitely the case where I am (Europe) - the stick on number plates are an instant fine for non-compliance. If on the other hand it looks like your plate fell off (reasonably, ie there is a plate with some tape on it) you will usually be ok!

Not that I’m advocating it mind......

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:30 pm

What was the problem with your rear?

I'll be honest though, I think I'm safe. My folks and sister live over in Norfolkshire( ;) ), but sod all chance of me schlepping all the way over there to see them in the Nomad, that said the roads from Eye onwards are quite nice, just a bit slow round Kings Lynn.

On the plus side, I guess you just got a £100 fine. As I understand it, it's non-endorsable, ie. no points, which will help with insurance going forward.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:34 pm

It's County-specific; all depends on what the Old Bill are like in your/ the area.

Cheshire is another place where they're hot on it. Just have to use your noggin.

Cheers,
Hedge

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:36 pm

Atlarge wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm That’s definitely the case where I am (Europe) - the stick on number plates are an instant fine for non-compliance. If on the other hand it looks like your plate fell off (reasonably, ie there is a plate with some tape on it) you will usually be ok!
There's been a trend here in the UK to put the front number plate on the dashboard inside the car. It's not following the letter of the law, but there are enough drivers doing it to make me think the police don't care enough...

image.png
image.png (380.46 KiB) Viewed 852 times

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 pm

CliveJ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 pm That sucks, sorry to hear that - did you get a polite talking to or a fine / penalty? Looks like they're writing you up :(
They clearly do not like people like us driving these types of cars, maybe I am wrong but this was my sentiment.

I received a Traffic Offence Report (TOR). The officers told me they cannot make me change the rear plate - for incorrect spacing and they cannot force me to add a plate on the front of my car. They said they will notify the DVLA of this offence. If the DVLA receive multiple offences, then what the DVLA can do is revoke my cherished plate and issue a age related plate and I lose my plate that is on retention to me.

My rear plate is also illegal they told me because I have an Ariel logo to the left of the plate itself. They said many of the number plate web sites online are run by criminals themselves, so be careful where I buy my number plate from.

I received no fine and no points. I told them it will take a while to get the rear number plate replaced and they said there is no time limit on this and they cannot enforce the law here. The way to look at this is they are simply passing on information to the DVLA that I am not using their plate in the correct way. At least this is my understanding. It's all a load of bollocks really, you can see the rear plate perfectly fine, number plate recognition software can easily read my number plate with or without a space and with or without the Ariel logo. We even have some software for the small software company I work at figure out my number plate no problems at all. The officers were saying I have obfuscated it making it harder to read! :roflp: - by adding 1 space in the wrong place!! it's kind of laughable really they were just being difficult given the number of cars like this on the road - it's really a waste of time.

They also mentioned those stick on plates are illegal, it should be a plate. There is a 14 page document apparently that describes this in detail lmfao

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Ha, interesting!

So did they pull you from behind (sorry Matron!)?

If so, I guess the spacing was their main issue, then they 'threw the book at you' with Ariel logos and no front plate - regardless of stick on or otherwise.

Actually, I guess their main issue was that you were in an Atom and they were working in a Womble car, but let's not get into that...

Glad to hear you escaped both point and fine free. So what's next? You keep it as is and see if anyone else pulls you? I guess there must be a trigger at which point DVLA revokes your plate. Can't imagine it's 2 or maybe even 3. Are you going for 'repeat offender' status like Richard Marx did in 1989?

So many questions...

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 pm

Makes you wonder how Ariel get the cars throuth IVA
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 pm

The thing is they were on the opposite side of the road waiting in a junction to pull out along a busy single carriage road that was a T junction so lots of cars and they were attempting to drive in the opposite direction to where I was going. There is *no* way they could of seen my rear plate or the absence of a front plate due to the nature of the road (being busy) I have it on film actually. They decided then to single me out change direction and follow me. Funnily, I was in 3rd gear about to give it the beans to overtake a load of traffic and saw the copper behind me! haha It took a while for them to catch up to me after that junction, when I saw them I thought nothing of it because I kept checking my mirrors and did not see them.

So they went after me for whatever reason, not liking someone for having cars like this perhaps who knows. They made their life choices :roflp:

I think it's 3 offences and then DVLA revoke your licence. I need to read up on it a bit more. I will likely get the rear fixed, who knows undecided.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Sir Nick wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 pm Makes you wonder how Ariel get the cars throuth IVA
Ariel ship the cars with proper rear plates - serial number bla bla, Ariel actually have a licence to print plates which I am told is expensive, although front stick on - not sure how that gets IVA approved though - good question. It just looks so god damn ugly on the front.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:22 am

So they decided to change direction from the opposite side of the road and follow you, singling you out because you didn't have 'proper plates', despite you not flooring it (which I would probably have done - well restrained!).

Sorry if I am sounding pedantic here - I'm trying to build a picture in my mind and cross some Ts and dot some Is.

Sounds like it was the spacing on the rear plate that made the difference between pull / no pull and the subsequent book throwing.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick, I am genuinely interested in this...

Here is what I have found trawling the archives - because I have no friends:

image.png
image.png (22.46 KiB) Viewed 793 times

image.png
image.png (29.56 KiB) Viewed 793 times

image.png
image.png (65.96 KiB) Viewed 793 times

So was it the no front plate that led to this? Or maybe the dubious rear plate was the red flag on this occasion.

Asking for many friends on here, one of which is know to swap bonnets quite liberally with none of them even attempting a front number plate :-X

Sad times...

stupot

Post by stupot » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:03 am

IVA happens before registration so there wouldn’t be any plates on the car. MOT is another issue but it depends on the test station.

I’m with Karl in that it was probably the rear plate that drew their attention when following you. Having stopped you they then looked round the car. Why they decided to take a closer look in the first place is anyone’s guess but could simply be because it was an Atom.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)