World's fastest off-track car, Ariel Atom, to be sold in Singapore

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Heywood-Yablowme

Re: World's fastest off-track car, Ariel Atom, to be sold in Singapore

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Wow,extras..."For their money, buyers will get not only the car, but also a Simpson helmet and four mandatory training sessions with the car."

Who wants to make a side bet on this time schedule being adhered to...

CB: Ariel is quite a small outfit. When can we expect the cars to arrive and in what numbers?

AW: Our first Atoms arrive in April. But because production slots are so rare, it will be quite a tough fight. Atoms are globally in demand, and in super short supply because every single one is a work of utter craftsmanship. Right now for Asia, weâ??ve only got ten units per year. So, like everyone else around the world, you get put on a waiting list, if you donâ??t move fast enough!
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Will the Singapore atoms be made at Crewkerne, I know it's selfish but I hope this extra demand doesn't delay my build  ???

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:59 pm

DADOH wrote:
Will the Singapore atoms be made at Crewkerne, I know it's selfish but I hope this extra demand doesn't delay my build   ???
Sounds like they are going to be made at Crewkerne.
The cars are hand built by the Ariel Motor Company in England, a revival of the old Ariel name, which was most famous for its motorcycles. Due to the small nature of the company (it employs less than 20 people) production is limited to less than 100 cars per annum and only ten units have been reserved next year for Singapore and Malaysia.
And if the report is correct, delays will be inevitable as they are being offered only a three month wait from order to delivery.  :o
Atomic Racing says order books are already open and customers ordering now will have their cars built in January 2009, with arrival scheduled around April 2009.
By the way, the Atom will be sold alongside one of it's rivals.
The company is also planning to bring in the Cat erham brand, which makes superlights like the Atom but with more classic styling, Simpson Racing Gear and Brian James Racing Trailers.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:16 am

Alec wrote:
DADOH wrote:
Will the Singapore atoms be made at Crewkerne, I know it's selfish but I hope this extra demand doesn't delay my build   ???
The cars are hand built by the Ariel Motor Company in England, a revival of the old Ariel name, which was most famous for its motorcycles. Due to the small nature of the company (it employs less than 20 people) production is limited to less than 100 cars per annum and only ten units have been reserved next year for Singapore and Malaysia.
And if the report is correct, delays will be inevitable as they are being offered only a three month wait from order to delivery.  :o
Depends on when the dealer in Singapore ordered the cars.  As I understand to become a dealer one must order 10 cars, the Singapore connection could have ordered 10 and the 3 month is the point at which the cars have to be specced ?

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:26 am

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

It does mean they've had to commit to S$2,880,000 (£1,300,000) of cars though (sale price, not cost price) and it's not definite they'll be road legal yet.
. . . . the authorities have been very enthusiastic, and very helpful. Especially so, when they can see weâ??re here to push the industry forward on the whole. So weâ??re quite confident of pulling off a coup here.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:40 pm

benyeats wrote:
Alec wrote:
DADOH wrote:
Depends on when the dealer in Singapore ordered the cars.  As I understand to become a dealer one must order 10 cars, the Singapore connection could have ordered 10 and the 3 month is the point at which the cars have to be specced ?
Dealer or not they should wait 18 months or whatever the waiting time now is for private customers.

Surely part of the massively long wait is to keep the car's numbers limited, keeping resale prices and demand as high as possible.

Any preference treatment for dealers undermines the approach.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:52 pm

DADOH wrote:
benyeats wrote:
Alec wrote:

Dealer or not they should wait 18 months or whatever the waiting time now is for private customers.

Surely part of the massively long wait is to keep the car's numbers limited, keeping resale prices and demand as high as possible.

As Ben pointed out, although dealers have to guarantee sales of ten cars, the first car/s may have been on order for a while, but the launch is just about to happen.

It's unlikely that any dealer will order ten cars all at the same time - the point is to generate buyers first, so they are most likely to take delivery of one or two cars to begin with - one demo and one 'best customer' car - with the rest on back order ready for delivery to customers as and when. This is unlikely to upset the applecart of ordering and delivery times that much.

Mind you, come to think of it, if I ordered ten cars at once, I'd expect the factory to be nice to me, too!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Now that TMI are making 'identical' cars as Ariel U.K., I wonder if Simon would consider outsourcing Atom work to TMI should the delays get too long? This maybe a moot point with the current economy, but as I'm getting an Ariel U.K. frame, I wonder if TMI's licence agreement would permit parts, assemblies, or whole cars to flow the other way... say to Singapore??!!

silver

Post by silver » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:42 pm

hahahahaha and GIVE MONEY AWAY, I think not!

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:45 pm

You don't think that, say there were a hiccup in frame maunfacture over there, he wouldn't consider getting some from Virginia?

silver

Post by silver » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:46 pm

NOPE. keep in mind this is my opinion.....we'll wait to see what Bruce says, because I'm sure he already knows the answer.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:28 pm

DADOH wrote:
benyeats wrote:
Alec wrote:

i) If the Singapore dealer ordered some cars 18 months ago then they are not getting preferential treatment.

ii) 10 cars in Singapore will not effect demand in the UK.

iii) If I was the factory and someone ordered 10 cars I would give them special treatment

Ben

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:04 am

Ben , true IF they did order 18 months ago.... seems like a very long term approach to starting a business though...

Don't get me wrong I don't object to Ariel expanding , in fact I'm all for it if it puts them in a better position to prevent possible failure and lack of factory back up in the future.

And as long as my order isn't delayed.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 pm

I've just remembered that there was someone from Singapore on about a month ago who was buying an Atom and deciding on the final specification.

It looks like they've sold at least one already then.

[quote="discom"]
I don't own an Atom yet, but will soon need to spec my Atom for production.

I will be driving the car in Singapore and bringing it to the track in Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia.

The weather here is hot and humid. Avg temp is about 32 degree Celsius and humidity about 70%.

So I need your advice. Should I go with the NA 245 or SC 300?

Can the SC 300 run all out with no overheating problems? I am talking about maybe 10 hard laps which translate to about 50km.

Thanks for any advice given.
[/quote]

[quote="discom"]
Hi,

I am about to submit my configuration list for production of my car. This car will be running in Singapore and I have access to a garage that specialize in the K20A. The garage also has an extensive inventory of BBKs, rims, EMS and many other goodies.

I am thus trying to configure my car to have the bare minimum because of the import tax that will be applied to the cost of the car which works out to about 125%. On the other hand, car parts purchased locally are just charged 7% tax.

The car will be a track car with some road use.

I have speced my car with what I think only the factory can do.

Things like suspension, I have chosen almost everything. By the way, what are chromoly aerofoil wishbone and do I need it for the track?

Things like rims and BBKs, I have not chosen because I feel that I can get those locally, please correct me if I am wrong. Can someone please advise me on the PCD of the rims?

Attached below is a list of what I have chosen, please feel free to comment. Sorry about the formatting.

Many thanks.

Base Cars
Atom 160
Atom 245bhp 1
Power Upgrades
300bhp Supercharger Upgrade
Options - Engine / Transmission
Quaife Limited Slip Differential 1
Aluminium Radiator
Hot Country Radiator 1
Cat Bypass Pipe
Polished Stainless Manifold and Silencer
Options - Brakes
Sport Brake Package Front
Sport Brake Package Rear
Alcon 4 Pot Caliper/290 Disc Front
Alcon 4 Pot Caliper/290 Disc Rear
Options - Suspension / Steering
Aluminium Dampers Adj Bump/Reb 1
Two Piece Spring Kit 1
Chromoly aerofoil wishbones
Race Grade Rod Ends 1
Competition Steering Rack 1
Quick Release Steering Wheel 1
Shift Light Steering Wheel 1
Options - Race / Track
Side Panels         1
Aerofoil Front and Mounts 1
Aerofoil Rear and Mounts 1
FIA Battery Master Switch Kit
Racing Roll-Over Bar 1
Fire Extinguisher Kit Plumbed In 1
Remote Brake Bias Adjuster 1
GPS Datalogger System Fitted
FIA High Intensity Rain Light 1
Towing Eye Kit Rear 1
Towing Eye Kit Front
Race Needle Roller Bellcranks 1
Options - Wheels / Tyres / Aerodynamics
"16"" Wheel Package/Road Tyres" 1
"16"" Wheel Package/Track Tyres"
"16"" Magnesium Wheel/Track Tyres "
Options - Other / Cosmetic / Misc
Stainless Fixings
Aero Screen

High-Level Brake Light 1
Locking Fuel Cap         1
12v. Auxillary feed with Lighter Socket 1
12v. Auxillary feed with BMW Socket
Fitted Intercom system
Passenger + clutch footrest
"3"" FIA Seat Belts"
V Type Crutch Strap
"3"" Belt Pads"
"2"" Belt Pads"
Interior Car Cover
Exterior Car Cover
Ambidextrous Chassis
Clear lenses/coloured bulbs 1
Battery Optimiser 1
Options - Body
Painted Bodywork
Carbon Fibre Mudguard Set
"Carbon Fibre Body Set (airbox,bonnet, intake)"
Carbon Fibre Instrument Panel
Carbon Fibre Aerofoil Front
Carbon Fibre Aerofoil Rear

Gunmetal/black Powder Coat Wheels
Gunmetal/Black Powder Coat Chassis 1
Options - Legal / On the Road
Front number plate bracket         1
SVA Test                 1
Road Tax + Reg         1

[/quote]