Californian fires

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
AtomMadStew

Californian fires

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:07 am

OMG! Just seen the awful fire's in california. Sincerely hope none of you atom owners are being affected. or your families/friends

(MODIFIED TYP'O/BAD ENGLISH GRAMMAR  :doh:)
Last edited by AtomMadStew on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John H

Re: Californian fires

Post by John H » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:42 pm

[quote="AtomStew"]
OMG! Just seen the awful fire's in california. Sincerely hope none of you atom owners aren't being affected.
[/quote]
I hope that is a typo Stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:29 pm

????????????? i wouldnt be joking about something so serious......you did see the news right? thousands of buildings raised to the ground over Southern California.  wheres the typo?  i did post using mobile internet so i do get typo's occasionally.  or should i book myself in at specsavers now??? 

silver

Post by silver » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:41 pm

atomstew...you wrote " I hope none of you atom owners aren't"  which is a double negative so you basically stated that you hope the atom owners are affected by the fires. :D

pretty obvious what you meant to say I'm sure no one would think you actually meant to say that.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks for bringing my poor english to my attention. I hope no atom owners or their family's are affected. Seems the winds have died down somewhat which were hampering the efforts to quash the flames. 

silver

Post by silver » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:31 pm

I hope they are all safe too, California is famous for Earthquakes and wildfires, however the fires are usually in the spring/summer, I had a few friends make it out safely last summer when the worst fires hit.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:33 pm

While we're seeking accurate use of english language, then I'd better pipe up.

razed to the ground,

not

raised to the ground

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Sadly I drove through the 91 freeway early this morning which was the epicenter of the Triangle freeway fire which ungulfed hundreds of homes and structures in Yorba Linda, Anaheim, etc.

All the mountains are just scorched beyond belief. Smog and smell was terrible.

Sadly I used to live in Yorba Linda about 10 years ago and our old house area was evacuted and its still unkown as the status of that area.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected. I have a few colleagues whose homes burnt in this fire. Very sad story.

fiesty

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:06 pm

I saw a standup comic awhile back who said living in California was great - there's only 4 things to be concerned about - Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.

My nephew is a Park Service Ranger who has worked fire duty in the past.  I learned that it rarely involves trying to put anything out.  It's all about "containment".  The water and chemical drops mainly serve to slow the spread while firebreaks are constructed.  I used to think that if they anounced a fire was 80% contained that it was mostly out, but it actually means that the firebreak ring around the fire is 80% complete.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 pm

Amazingly and thankfully, no deaths have yet been reported, although authorities are still searching a mobile home community of mostly retirees where nearly 500 residences were destroyed.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:06 pm

The fires got within 5 miles of my house, I got the blackened sky, ash falling like snow, etc. at my house.  The Atom was safely tucked away in the garage and saw none of it.  The whole neighborhood smells like a fireplace, though.  :D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Five miles - hah!

This was less than 500 metres from my house!

Seriously - hope all that breathes got out in plenty of time - don't give a damn about 'stuff'
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:54 pm

I have 2 friends that lost their homes. Pretty damn shitty. They both have really good spirit though and are surrounded by good people to help them.