How do you turn an Atom green?

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Bruce Fielding

How do you turn an Atom green?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:02 am

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0711/S00433.htm

Ron Eckman, a Wellington businessman, had this to say:

"I recently donated my exotic sports car, an Ariel Atom, to the Southward Car Museum. I used to think it was cool to aspire to own and drive fast and expensive cars. And it truly was a lot of fun. Now I think it's cool to create a future for this planet and that car is just not part of our future on this planet. It took me a long time to realize that how I was living my life was not sustainable. Eventually I woke up to the idea that we all need to make some changes, for the sake of my children, for future generations and to be honest, for the sake of my conscience. I considered selling my car, but ultimately that would have had the car back on the roads. So, ultimately, I chose to donate the car to a museum. What better place to house and display a personal symbol of a past life. For me it isn't about giving up something, it is about "walking the talk" and living with integrity. I'm passionate about the environment. We are all on this spaceship Earth together and I'm excited about the present opportunity to heal the planetâ?¦nothing gives me a deeper sense of satisfaction than working with young people to heal the planet. I am one of the volunteers preparing for a major event, "Climate Action Festival" to be held 8 December in Wellington's Civic Square. The young people on this project inspire me with their passion and commitment to deal positively and constructively with the challenge of climate change."
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Wmcmanus

Re: How do you turn an Atom green?

Post by Wmcmanus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:31 am

Sure he's not from LA?  Just another namby pamby wacked in the head bleeding heart liberal out to save the world because he's managed to accumulate more money than sense in his business, which by the way, I'm sure is completely "green" (yawn, ya right) and has never made the use of any motorized vehicles whatsover.  He probably got rich by delivering flowers to little old ladies in nursing homes on his bicycle.  These kinds of people make me sick with their "look at me" donations.  If he was really concerned about the environment, he wouldn't want them to cut down any trees to make the newspapers that can be used to spread this kind of hypocritical trash.  Are there environmental issues?  Sure.  Is this the way to solve them? :td:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 am

Oh, for heaven's sake...

You don't have to solve the problem.

You don't have to do everything.

You just have to do something...

None of us on this forum are ever going to be greener than green - we use too many resources to become that. But we can do a little bit... changing a few lightbulbs over to energy saving ones, only boiling enough water for what we need, turning the thermostat down one degree... that kind of thing. If the guys feels that this is a good way to promote a climate change event, good on him.

Of course it's a tragic waste, but there y'go...

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:32 am

My Atom is already green.

This wouldn't be the owner who was trying to sell his car on ebay for ages would it ?

Ben

Dave Fellows

Post by Dave Fellows » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:47 am

Not likely. It's in NZ so will be Trademe.co.nz if anything.

This is great for the Southward Car Museum. It was my favourite place to go as a kid. I'm stoked they've now got an Atom to display.

That's a bad attitude Wmcmanus. What's wrong with this guy doing his bit for the cause? It's better than turning a blind eye to it which most of us are guilty of.

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:32 pm

For your information Wayne, I don't think Ron is from LA but he is an American. Even though he now lives in Wellington, New Zealand.

An as for bicycle riding I would like to quote from an e-mail that Ron recently sent me:

"Iâ??ve had the privilege owning some really amazing vehicles, e.g. the Atom. And it truly was incredible, mind blowing fun!...............

............As you are aware, I tried to sell the Atom. It didnâ??t sell. Ultimately, I couldnâ??t reconcile my personal values with owning the Atom. So, I chose to donate the car to a museum."

I have not mentioned this publicly on the forum before as I have always respected Ron's right to privacy. His story is now news so I am sure he won't mind me revealing that small amount of information.

For those that might think this is a waste, when cars are so hard to come by, this car was offered on the forum less than six months ago for a meager sum of US$40K. Freight from New Zealand would have been a pittance (US$3K) Everyone, except Ben, kept their head in the sand and did nothing. We ship stuff from the UK and USA or visa versa, every day. It's not that difficult or expensive.

For Sale opportunity lost -> http://atomclub.myzen.co.uk/forum/index ... 838.0.html

So before anyone else feels like slagging off a fellow New Zealander and someone brave enough to make a stand for what he believes in, get you facts right first.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:39 pm

[quote="wisp"]
For those that might think this is a waste, when cars are so hard to come by, this car was offered on the forum less than six months ago for a meager sum of US$40K. Freight from New Zealand would have been a pittance (US$3K) Everyone, except Ben, kept their head in the sand and did nothing. We ship stuff from the UK and USA or visa versa, every day. It's not that difficult or expensive.
[/quote]

Wasn't quite that simple for non-NZ/Aus residents, though was it...?

However, Jared must be kicking himself black and blue!

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:53 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Wasn't quite that simple for non-NZ/Aus residents, though was it...?

However, Jared must be kicking himself black and blue!
[/quote]

Of course it was. Do you think we don't pay taxes and import duties as well?

J had the opportunity to buy the car and turned it down as he wants the 245. Mind you if he knew six months ago that his delivery was going to be delayed this long it may have been a different story.
Last edited by wisp on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:10 pm

A few points:

-Seems to me the quickest way to turn an Atom green would be to go too fast into a turn and do an offtrack excursion into the grass.  :laugh:

-If Ron wants to donate an Atom to a museum, let him.  I don't see any harm in it (perhaps a bit of fiscal foolishness, though)...I wouldn't do it myself, but to each their own.  It's not like he's trying to take our Atoms away.

-On a slightly more serious note...Wayne, I'm from LA and don't take kindly to being called namby pamby wacked in the head bleeding heart liberal because of it.  I'll show you namby pamby.   
The Masked Spaz-->Image<--Wmcmanus

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:09 pm

" I couldnâ??t reconcile my personal values....."

WTF? I'm with Wayne on this one. The guy has his priorities all screwed up!

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:15 pm

Anyone know what Ron's business is?
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:18 pm

[quote="Stevo"]
Anyone know what Ron's business is?
[/quote]

I think he owns a chemical plant, an oil refinery and a couple of petrol stations ;)

Ben

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:50 pm

I heard it was a nuclear waste disposal facility  on a superfund site run by leppers... ;D

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:54 pm

Yes I found out about his car when I was only a month prior to build. All indications at the time were that it was running on schedule for the August ship...

Now however, I am kicking myself... I couldnt afford two Atom's at the time...

Perfect hindsight and all that. But I am looking forward to my Atom3 arriving early next year...

I agree with the "just do your bit" comments. Unless you come up with a free clean energy source all you are doing with your efforts is slowing the process giving aour civilisation time to come up with some more alternatives. Which is better than the sticking the head in the sand policy adopted by many.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:28 pm

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]

-On a slightly more serious note...Wayne, I'm from LA and don't take kindly to being called namby pamby wacked in the head bleeding heart liberal because of it.

[/quote]

Spaz, I doubt if anyone could describe you as a 'namby pamby wacked in the head bleeding heart liberal'.

With a bit of editing it might apply.  ;D

'namby pamby wacked in the head bleeding heart liberal'

There is a positive side to his donation in that there will be at least one Atom preserved for posterity.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)