Request input on order options.

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Flying Phil

Re: Request input on order options.

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:44 pm

They've just changed the "configurator" on the Brammo website, and it now lists the Honda engine, with super charger, amongst other changes. I didn't see a seat size option, other than the individual Recaro seats that have been offered in the past. Different Bubble heights.... it's the first I've even heard of it. It sounds like a good idea, but only one size is listed at Brammo. As I've read in other posts, the new deflectors seem to have the 'thumbs up' from the owners who have tried them, rating them from 'improved' to 'much improved' over the bubbles, as far as comfort, lack of helmet lift  and general reduction in buffeting. I do like the look of the bubbles, still not sure about the deflectors :-\. The Atom has got to be, IMHO, one of the purest production sports cars I've seen or heard of. No stability control, traction control, ABS, launch Control, yet one of the fastest production cars on the planet. But I agree, within limits, and as long as it keeps within the spirit of the car, the more comfortable the car, the more the car will be used, particularly on trips with my wife. I just need to get her a flashy new helmet :laugh:... speaking of which

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:49 pm

SlowCharles brought up a good point. In most circumstances, a helmet will save lives, but in his accident, it may actually have hurt, not helped. The sudden stop caused whiplash, with the helmet serving only to add weight to his head, and therefore increase the whiplash. I suppose the answer is the lightest possible certified helmet, combined with a Hans device. I'm now in the Market for helmets for self, wife and kids. Any suggestions or recommendations...

JoP

Post by JoP » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:45 pm

[quote="Flying Phil"]
SlowCharles brought up a good point. In most circumstances, a helmet will save lives, but in his accident, it may actually have hurt, not helped. The sudden stop caused whiplash, with the helmet serving only to add weight to his head, and therefore increase the whiplash. I suppose the answer is the lightest possible certified helmet, combined with a Hans device. I'm now in the Market for helmets for self, wife and kids. Any suggestions or recommendations...
[/quote]
As Atoms tend to slide, rather than turn over (according to the factory), and if they did we'd rely primarily on the roll-over bar for head protection, I think you're right to think lightweight.  I use a full-face helmet for protection from the wind, flies and grit and you've only got to look at your visor to see how much muck would have hit your face if you didn't wear one.
Not sure about using a Hans device for road use though.  Have you used one yourself and, if so, what are they like to wear?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:58 pm

A helmet certainly wouldn't help if it wasn't done up properly...

There are arguments for and against head and neck support on the road. There are threads on here debating it.

Personally, I haven't bothered in six years of Atom driving... I thankfully have no idea if or experience whether it would make a difference.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

JoP

Post by JoP » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:04 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
A helmet certainly wouldn't help if it wasn't done up properly...

There are arguments for and against head and neck support on the road. There are threads on here debating it.

Personally, I haven't bothered in six years of Atom driving... I thankfully have no idea if or experience whether it would make a difference.
[/quote]
I presume you're referring to the Hans device, or similar, or do you wear a helmet either?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:35 pm

I always wear a helmet when not posing in town... it's somewhere to put the microphone and sounds.

I was referring to the head and neck support
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:51 pm

I use a Hans in competition Rally... haven't had an "off" with it yet, but am assured by others it works great. It is, however, very restrictive on the shoulder check, so you'd have to be good with your mirrors ;). I can't imagine, in it's current configuration, it could be used for city driving... way too restrictive. There are other Hans style products out there that might work. I saw a style that was one tether around a cable that ran around the back of the helmet. It would seem to free up head movement, while providing the same protection?! Cruising down the interstate on the way to Atomfest, however, I would think the Hans would work well :laugh:
Last edited by Flying Phil on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.