Belgian Atoms : minus one...

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
apollyon25

Re: Belgian Atoms : minus one...

Post by apollyon25 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:58 pm

From the pics it looks like front right suspension and wheel are simply missing... and the front left looks broken too. Rear right as well.
It doesnt look like youve bent the chassis, but there are probably large sections of it missing on the underside from abrasion.

Glad you are ok!
I would have $hit myself.

As Bruce noted: Passengers would have been fine too. Probably their underwear was a darker shade of brown but other than that...

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Sorry to see the photos, sent shudders through my back and reminded me of my crash on the M25.  Us motorway crash boys need to form an exclusive sub club.  Luckily insurance paid for me and now the rest of you pay for that  :D ;D ::)  £15,000 repair bill for me.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:49 pm

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
if you had a passenger, it might have been a different scenario...
[/quote]

70 mph crash and the frame looks completely intact.  The only think that may have happened to the passenger could have been an arm injury if it was hanging outside the car or if they didn't have a seat belt on.  To me like the Atom did extremely well

Pascal

Post by Pascal » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:17 pm

Very sorry to see one of the Belgian Atoms in this state. For what it's worth the repair bills in Belgium from Debussere, the official apointed importer for Benelux, will never reach this high as they charge less than half the factory price per working hour. As a matter of fact there are no Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini,... dealers that charge this kind of money to their customers in Belgium.

AntwerpAtom

Post by AntwerpAtom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:10 pm

The stripped chassis after the crash. Seems ok, on first sight...
Attachments
Afbeelding 001.jpg
Afbeelding 001.jpg (55.62 KiB) Viewed 898 times

AntwerpAtom

Post by AntwerpAtom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:12 pm

But if you take a closer look...
Attachments
Afbeelding 004.jpg
Afbeelding 004.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 890 times

AntwerpAtom

Post by AntwerpAtom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 pm

and the front side...
Attachments
Afbeelding 013.jpg
Afbeelding 013.jpg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 885 times

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:23 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
if you had a passenger, it might have been a different scenario...
[/quote]

Again, bollocks from Dex...
[/quote]

Yeah, why does he say stuff like that...... is he serious ?

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:23 pm

I recognise that crash.  ::)  Glad you are OK (missed this thread first time round).  Similar out come to my problem on the M25, but luckly the speeds were a lot slow and although I ended up in the fast lane facing towards the traffice no one else became involved.

Hope your rebuild goes well.  :tu:

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Sorry to hear the news but really glad you're ok

That chassis does look like it took the impact pretty well.  Deformation is a crucial element of any impact - the lower G forces should be absorbed by low stress members whilst large G should then be taken by strong chassis elements.    There doesn't seem to be much middle ground with the atom but at least it is pretty solid for any largish impact  :pop:

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:41 pm

You're right; from a ways back the frame doesn't look too bad.  What's the verdict, new frame or can it be repaired?  Were the suspension arms/uprights/wheels all bent?  Good luck on the rebuild.  Looks like it will be a while at this rate though...  :-\

AntwerpAtom

Post by AntwerpAtom » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 am

New frame it is. The guys from Ariel say that it should not be safe to do a repair job on this. Too much cutting and welding...

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:49 am

[quote="John Lloyd"]
I recognise that crash.  ::)  Glad you are OK (missed this thread first time round).  Similar out come to my problem on the M25..........

[/quote]

LOL. Must have been one of the girls logged on as you again (October 31 #16)

I certainly missed this thread earlier. Glad you're OK  :tu:

It's taken some real thumps to put those dents in the main rails. It's always good to hear that occupants have walked away from these accidents.
Last edited by wisp on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:22 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="John Lloyd"]
I recognise that crash.  ::)  Glad you are OK (missed this thread first time round).  Similar out come to my problem on the M25..........

[/quote]

LOL. Must have been one of the girls logged on as you again (October 31 #16)

I certainly missed this thread earlier. Glad you're OK  :tu:

It's taken some real thumps to put those dents in the main rails. It's always good to hear that occupants have walked away from these accidents.
[/quote]
:-[  :-[  :-[