Eurovision 2007

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
AtomFun

Eurovision 2007

Post by AtomFun » Sat May 12, 2007 8:00 pm

Just finished the curry at Atomfun's!  Now watching Eurovision.  Who is going to win.  Come on GB.

John Lloyd on JC's sign on

Angies on the Sambucas Bruce She'll send you the bill.

Alec

Re: Eurovision 2007

Post by Alec » Sat May 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Dear me John, I just accidentally passed the channel with this on a couple of times and just caught the pink presenter.

If you're watching that rubbish then you must have downed a couple of cases of wine to numb your brain.

I think I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.  :-\
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat May 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Last year we had a party and had a sweepstake on the results, was quite good fun. Does not look like the UK are going to do so well this year

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat May 12, 2007 10:09 pm

From the one comment I heard it was because we're not part of the eastern block, which now seem to be able to out vote everyone else if they stick together.

This makes it even more of a joke.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 pm

It's bloody fixed.  We were rubbish, but Eastern blocks and same sex voters have destroyed the integrity of this once fantastic singing competion.  ;)

John Lloyd @ JC's

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat May 12, 2007 10:58 pm

So are you suggesting something about the sexual orientation of the winner, JL?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

glyn430

Post by glyn430 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:14 am

we were awful it has to be said

not sure we were as bad as Terry Wogan though

i couldnt watch it just kept flicking it on every half an hour..............2nd to last  :td:

KK

Post by KK » Sun May 13, 2007 8:31 am

[quote="AtomFun"]
Why didn't any of you left hookers vote for the UK in the Eurovision?  Load of bar stools

(John Lloyd @ Atomfun's)
[/quote]
Well at least the U.K. could count on their friends from Ireland and Malta :laugh:
Talking about fair play: The British should have returned the favour to the Irish ... but decided to let them down heavily - probably to avoid the risk of being last.

Anyway, Austria has quiet often taken the last place, but did this with dignity: "Zero points" was a common result. Either you go for it or you make sure you don't get points at all ;)
And this year Austria did not even survive the pre-qualification round :tu: ;D

BTW the results with individual votes are available here

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sun May 13, 2007 3:32 pm

I thought the British entry was painfully embarrassing!

If JL hadn't been here, we wouldn't have watched it anyway. He hasn't missed the Eurovision Song Contest in 30 years!!! How sad is that?

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun May 13, 2007 4:13 pm

BTW how big is Europe now?

If we keep going east to include more nations it won't be long before Korea wins.  ::)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 pm

[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus]"]
Talking about fair play: The British should have returned the favour to the Irish ... but decided to let them down heavily - probably to avoid the risk of being last.
[/quote]

The voting is done by SMS text message so the UK voting is what the people want, unlike the Cypress / Greece / Greece / Cyprus debacle imposed upon us by the rest of Europe. 

JL good on you for not missing a contest in years, I am also a Eurovision fan

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon May 14, 2007 2:07 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
JL good on you for not missing a contest in years, I am also a Eurovision fan

Ben
[/quote]

Aren't I glad it wasn't being televised over AtomFest as I'm sharing an RV with you two.

If either of you brings a vid of it along and starts to watch it there, I can't imagine what the consequences will be.  >:(

Jacob Potts

Re: Eurovision 2007--What Is It?

Post by Jacob Potts » Mon May 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Gentlemen:

We Yanks must endure Fox network's "American Idol", with endless off-pitch people pitching bad songs sung badly.

Is "Eurovision 2007" akin to "American Idol": "European Idol"?  ???

Thanks for the cultural enlightenment!

Jacob :-)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon May 21, 2007 2:44 pm

[quote="Jacob Potts"]
Gentlemen:

We Yanks must endure Fox network's "American Idol", with endless off-pitch people pitching bad songs sung badly.

[/quote]

I am rather afraid that you have us Brits to thank for 'American Idol' which was originally called 'Pop Idol' when shown over here.  The contestants for Eurovision are generally professional singers rather than amatures, although this is a matter of opinion.

The Eurovision song contest is an annual competition with each country in Europe fielding an entry it is only once a year so does not have to be endured too often.  The most famous past winner is ABBA, most other winners have sunk into obscurity fairly quickly.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon May 21, 2007 2:51 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Jacob Potts"]
Gentlemen:

[/quote]

I am rather afraid that you have us Brits to thank for 'American Idol' which was originally called 'Pop Idol' when shown over here.  The contestants for Eurovision are generally professional singers rather than amatures, although this is a matter of opinion.

The Eurovision song contest is an annual competition with each country in Europe fielding an entry it is only once a year so does not have to be endured too often.  The most famous past winner is ABBA, most other winners have sunk into obscurity fairly quickly.

Ben
[/quote]

'...Idol' is still the property of Simon Fuller (a Brit) and the main star of it is the other Simon (another Brit).
(and a mate of mine is out there right now producing the single which will be released by the winner - and he's a Brit too!)

The Eurovision song is usually performed by one of the top musical artists in the country. We used to offer our top artistses - like Cliff Richard, and Sandy Shaw, then we started getting silly with Bucks Fizz and we've never really looked forward - and Terry Wogan's commentary doesn't help the competition stay serious in the UK! 
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London