News from News Zealand

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
AtomFun

News from News Zealand

Post by AtomFun » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:03 am

Dear John,

Welcome to the Open Wheeler Imports newsletter for September.

Upcoming Events
As you know we've been running track days all over New Zealand. A full list of events is available on our news page (http://www.openwheelers.co.nz/newmodel/news.htm) but it's worth pointing out:

Pukekohe Saturday week
We have two spaces left for October 1 (normally invitation only - email us to be invited to the next event).

Pukekohe in January
In the first two weeks of January Pukekohe is free for exclusive bookings. If you'd like to get together with eight friends, for $500+GST each you can have Pukekohe booked exclusively for your use plus an Ariel Atom and a racing instructor. Email or call us if you're interested - there are no other days free at Pukekohe in 2006.

Timaru - first visit
Our first Timaru track day will be November 1, subject to confirmation of our booking with the track.

The Atom Experience 
Issue 8 of the Atom Experience contains a plethora of articles!
    Track Experience    Manfeild track day report
    Track Experience    Pukekohe Park practice day report
    Track Experience    The Atom laps up the Zhuhai F1 circuit
    Tech talk                On the gear (including audio of the Atom)
    On your XBox        Atom stars in PGR3 for XBox 360
    Opinion                  The Atom as art
Read them all at http://www.openwheelers.co.nz/newmodel/ ... rience.htm

Press releases about the 300 BHP Atom
You've known about it for a long time (we look after you, see?) but we've just sent out a press release saying that the 300 BHP Atom is coming to New Zealand so expect to see that in the press.

An apology on lap times
We've previously told you that Mike Eady, current Bridgestone Porsche Series Champion, had driven a 220 BHP Ariel Atom in around Taupo circuit in 43 seconds. We said this was in road-legal, stock standard trim - no wings, road-use Bridgestone S03 tyres. mid-spec brakes and no suspension changes. We now apologise that this lap time is incorrect - what we didn't know is that Mike Eady did 43s at the circuit with a *passenger* on board. So we don't have an accurate lap time to quote - the real time for a stock standard 220 BHP Atom is at least a second lower! We'll hold back on guessing what a 300 BHP Atom with wings, slicks, top spec brakes and tuned suspension will do on the track but it will be obscenely rapid.

For the sake of comparison, here are the best Taupo lap times posted during racing by the winning drivers on June 26 of this year (from http://www.taupocarclub.org.nz/assets/r ... MORDER.doc):
MARK RUSS, FORMULA CHALLENGE - 41:57
TOM SHORT, SALOONS GROUP 1, NISSAN SKYLINE - 42:26
CHRIS BENDALL, SALOONS GROUP 2, MAZDA RX 7 - 44:09
SHANE CHARLTON, STAR TOURING CARS, STAR CAR FALCON - 44:39
ROD BROWN, SALOONS GROUP 3, DATSUN 240Z - 46:07

Now take a moment to consider that one Atom owner drove his car from Auckland to Christchurch and enjoyed himself so much he was reluctant to arrive home -> http://www.openwheelers.co.nz/newmodel/ ... interview6. So the Atom is a fun road & race car quicker than dedicated race cars? There's nothing to apologise for after all ...

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Mackie
Managing Director
Open Wheeler Imports Limited
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 
PO Box 8424, Symonds St, Auckland
Toll Free: 0508 694 694
Email:  andrew@openwheelers.co.nz

AtomFun

Re: News from News Zealand

Post by AtomFun » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:02 pm

Hi Andrew

Good to hear from you.

Somewhere in the past we must have got our lines crossed. The two main things we have in common is an interest in Atoms & Sheep but my sheep speak Welsh :) AAaaab AAaaab.

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:23 pm

From the grape vine ....  ;D

Someone in Christchurch just took delivery of a supercharged Atom. :tu:

A fellow Aucklander has ordered an Atom2 and estimates delivery to be mid/late 2007. ;D
Yahoo! That will make two of us in the region. :tu:

There is an Atom2 up for sale, from Wellington.  :o
Any Kiwi's cruising this forum that want to get their hands on this local car instead of waiting months for one to be imported should contact Andrew at OWI (see this topics first post for details).

I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained in this post  ;)  :laugh:

kiwicraig

Post by kiwicraig » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:34 pm

Hi Wisp; I am originally from New Plymouth/Auckland and currently spend most of the time in Arizona. I have a 300 Ecotec over here. I may be returning and wondered what a 245 Honda engined atom is priced at in New Zealand.. in NZ$. Any info would be appreciated. Has summer started yet??

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:09 am

[quote="kiwicraig"]
Hi Wisp; I am originally from New Plymouth/Auckland and currently spend most of the time in Arizona. I have a 300 Ecotec over here. I may be returning and wondered what a 245 Honda engined atom is priced at in New Zealand.. in NZ$. Any info would be appreciated. Has summer started yet??
[/quote]

Bring home the Ecotech. We might as well have the full collection here. :laugh:

See my PM re OWI for new car pricing and details on the one secondhand car I believe is for sale.

Sunny, overcast, showers, windy, sunny... the weather can't make its mind up. :-\

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:34 pm

> A fellow Aucklander has ordered an Atom2 and estimates delivery to be mid/late 2007. ;D
> Yahoo! That will make two of us in the region. :tu:

I wonder if this is me...
I ordered an Atom2, it gets delivered mid/late 07 and I am in Akld...

So you'll be seeing more of me!

Jared

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:02 am

[quote="apollyon25"]
> A fellow Aucklander has ordered an Atom2 and estimates delivery to be mid/late 2007. ;D
> Yahoo! That will make two of us in the region. :tu:

I wonder if this is me...
I ordered an Atom2, it gets delivered mid/late 07 and I am in Akld...

So you'll be seeing more of me!
Jared

[/quote]

Hi Jared,

Welcome to the forum and the international goup of "expectant owners"  ;D
Yes it was you I had heard about. It will be great to do some trips with another Atom, if we could arrange it.

You should find this forum very informative even though we're way "down under".

What exactly have you ordered? HP, options, etc..

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:25 am

Hi Wisp

I cannot thank you enough for taking me for a drive in your Atom!  ;D
:tu: :tu:
I have told everyone I know how fantastic the ride was!
Thanks also for letting me have a wee drive. I dont know if I could do that (let a complete stranger have a drive)

It has made the wait for mine a lot worse, but I am sure you wont mind me tagging along if I need some medicating.

A 245 is going to be seriously scary!  :o

Jared

Ariel Atom 2 245 - only 149 days to go