discredit the Atom 300 in a german magazine

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Bruce Fielding

Re: discredit the Atom 300 in a german magazine

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:19 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
I really don't think the Atom, even a 300hp model can hit 0-100kph in under 3 seconds, without an absolutely perfect launch, revving it high and aggressively dropping the clutch.

Nothing wrong with a car that can hit 60 repeatedly and reliably in the mid to high 3 second range.
Funny thing is I don't believe all the magazines that publish Atom 0-60 times of 2.8 or 2.9 seconds, I don't believe they actually tested out the cars and got those numbers. They just printed what they were told by the manufacturer.
[/quote]

I know of two owners with 300s who have pulled sub 3 second 0-60 times. One is actually the one used by the factory - it wasn't a factory car that did it, just a stock Atom.

Yes you have to be aggressive, but that's what timers do...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:42 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
On the bright side, since all other competitors times are also made by abusing the car and not real world times....it's all relative.
[/quote]

That is the point.  However I don't really think you significantly risk damaging your car by doing an emergency start, all of the components are massively understressed and the odd balls out run will not do any harm.

Ben

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:51 am

[quote="silver"]
and they did test the US model to achieve 2.88 seconds.........................I think that was with the mule which had 280whp, which might be why.
[/quote]

Interesting story about that car - the engine has an unknown mileage, but when asked about it, the GM guys at the proving ground said that it probably had more than 40K on it by the time it landed in the Atom for the first time, and that it had been flogged mercilessly at the track during earlier GM testing.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="silver"]
and they did test the US model to achieve 2.88 seconds.........................I think that was with the mule which had 280whp, which might be why.
[/quote]

Interesting story about that car - the engine has an unknown mileage, but when asked about it, the GM guys at the proving ground said that it probably had more than 40K on it by the time it landed in the Atom for the first time, and that it had been flogged mercilessly at the track during earlier GM testing.
[/quote]

is that the car that had 40k on it or was the tester the one they had a 40k mileage car on it....they told me the same story but I thought they were talking about the yellow tester not the black mule car?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:11 am

[quote="silver"]
is that the car that had 40k on it or was the tester the one they had a 40k mileage car on it....they told me the same story but I thought they were talking about the yellow tester not the black mule car?
[/quote]

I'm not sure. Tom would know.

The issue is that parts tended to frequently migrate between the early cars.