Hi Guys - New Member from Oz

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
RedRaven

Hi Guys - New Member from Oz

Post by RedRaven » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:27 am

Heya guys - new to the board but love what I've seen so far!

I live in Perth, Western Australia - dying for more info on when the Atom will be certified for use on our roads.  Can't be too hard if the Kiwis across the Tasman are already driving them! ;D  Originally I'm from Stroud in Gloucestershire... not too far from Ariel *grins - I'll be in the UK in July/August!*

We just had the last Top Gear episode screened here, with the 300bhp Atom 2 segment.  I read somewhere else today Open Wheeler Imports has had hundreds of expressions of interest from all over Oz. Yikes.

At a guess I'm a couple years away from owning one, but that'll give you lot time to iron out the bugs/quokkas and whatever else fits under the tea tray or in the 'boot'!

Anyway, love what I've read so far and look forward to being Atom-ised in the future!

Rick

Bruce Fielding

Re: Hi Guys - New Member from Oz

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:29 am

Hi Rick!

Welcome to the forum...

I'm trying to get the International section a bit livelier, so would you mind if I moved this thread there?

I hear that you can get a car right now (relatively speaking!) if you only want to use it on track. I think if I was anything like serious, I'd get my order in now, and stuff the regs - you're an Aussie, and Aussies are famous for defiance! I reckon that by the time yours arrives, Andrew will have sorted all the approvals and you'll be OK anyway! The multiplier seems a lot, but I seem to remember that a lot of imports to Australia have the same problems - Japanese cars used to get really clobbered!

Whenever that TG episode appears anywhere in the world, demand skyrockets! I reckon Simon should come up with a special 'Clarkson' limited edition as a thank you - maybe complete with wobbly side panels to mirror the big man's neck and cheeks!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:19 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

I'm trying to get the International section a bit livelier, so would you mind if I moved this thread there?

[/quote]

No, by all means pop this thread into the International forum!

I'll be back in the UK in July so I'm hoping I'll be able to visit the factory and arrange a test drive there or at a track day etc.

Perth is an ideal home for an Atom; reasonable weather, good roads, and lots of twisties up in the hills here (with a handy pub at the end, of course!) Only a couple of miles from my house is the 'Zig-Zag', an ex-railway track that winds down the hill... its actually a stage in Rally Australia.

I'm a little behind the 8-ball as I'd definitely want it on the roads here... right now I drive an Astra SRi 2.2L... nice hatch but tame compared to even the basic Atom :D.

I've no idea how far OWI has actually progressed with testing/certification here in Au... but learnt a fair bit off this forum already. 

Got plenty of questions but I'll post different threads for those, if they're not already previously answered.

Enzothemaddog

Post by Enzothemaddog » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi m8,
new here too. Living in Sydney.
Ordering a 245 soon. Cant wait, but its only for track use so cant drive to Perth do give you a go! :D

waz356

Post by waz356 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 am

Another newbie. This time in Adelaide. Already on the waiting list for a road registered Atom. They are currently undergoing ADR compliance but I doubt we'll see anything until 2007 at the earliest.

ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:32 am

adelaide invasion!!!  ;D  not on the waiting list yet but by the look of the latest release of adr by 07/08 and only 25 cars per year i might be better off putting in for a mr fusion delorean.  according to doc brown that's due in 2015.  ::)

waz356

Post by waz356 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:51 am

yeah, just saw that their only expecting 25 cars/year. add in the time for compliance and it'll still be a 4 or 5 year wait.  ???

Enzothemaddog

Post by Enzothemaddog » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:08 am

But just think of the shock value when you're driving around Adelaide in it....as well as your faces ;D

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:09 am

Heya fellas, welcome to the forum!

Yeah, looks to be a bit of a wait for road-going Atoms in Au.  Bugger.

I think the UK factory is increasing production over the current level, once they're in their new factory.  Not sure how amny/when that is happening though.