The latest news from A Land Down Under

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Mitch

The latest news from A Land Down Under

Post by Mitch » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:29 am

G'day everyone.
This is the latest release from the official Australasian agent for the Atom.  Australian compliance is required for the Atom to be able to be road registered.  And we have just started to get old episodes of Top Gear on free to air TV over here, hence the Atom segment reference.  Does anyone have a good contact at the factory to be able to find out some details on the discussions held with Open Wheeler Imports please?  I am keen to find out what is being considered for the Aust. spec car and what will not be on/in it.  Thank you.
Cheers,
Mitch.

-------

Dear Mitch,

The Atom features as the final segment on Top Gear tonight with the episode starting at 7:30pm EDST on SBS. In case you miss it or can't receive SBS, the full segment will be available on our website from 8:30pm tonight - http://www.openwheelers.com.au#topgear

You'll no doubt also be interested to know that we've just returned from a visit to Ariel Motor Company in the UK and that the primary focus of our time there was Australian road compliance. At this point we won't be releasing information on the expected completion date of the compliance process, delivery dates for the Atom or estimate the final price as we do not want to set false expectations. On the pricing front, however, we ask you to keep in mind that the Australian price will not be equal to the UK price multiplied by the AUD/GBP exchange rate. Because of Australian duty, GST, luxury car tax and other costs the multiplying factor is significantly higher - as a guide the multiplying factor for mass-produced cars in this investment ballpark is typically 3.5, not 2.5.

As for owning an Atom, consider that as of today we have 982 people on our mailing list and we expect to initially supply 25 Atoms per annum, hopefully increasing supply as import approvals permit. There is a waiting list in place - if you are serious about ownership of a road car and are not on it then we suggest you email us to request your position. If you would like a track-only or race car, you can order your Atom immediately - please contact us for more information.

Finally, having seen Jeremy Clarkson rave on Top Gear tonight, you might like to try the Atom for yourself - contact Motoaction about an Eastern Creek (Sydney) track day with upcoming dates: Feb 13, Feb 24, March 9 and March 23. Visit Motoaction at http://www.motoaction.com.au , call on 02 9965 7266 or email book@motoaction.com.au for an experience you'll never forget.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Mackie
Managing Director
Open Wheeler Imports Pty Ltd
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
PO Box 1711, Hornsby NSW 2077, Australia
Direct: +61 (0)2 9980 6360
Mobile: +61 (0)417 276 047
Email:  andrew@openwheelers.com.au

Bruce Fielding

Re: The latest news from A Land Down Under

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:36 am

[quote="Mitch"]
Does anyone have a good contact at the factory to be able to find out some details on the discussions held with Open Wheeler Imports please?  I am keen to find out what is being considered for the Aust. spec car and what will not be on/in it. 
[/quote]

I think that's a question for Andrew! He's done masses of research and knows exactly what's required. He now seems more confident than ever before, which is great news.

From the behemoths to the mosquitos, all car companies are incredibly secretive! Mostly justifiably...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:59 am

Understood Bruce, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Cheers,
Mitch.

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:04 am

Looking forward to more information on Au compliance too.  I'm in Perth.
Paying for the car in the UK, then paying for shipping, marine insurance, dock handling, valuation, then Import Duty (10%), and then another 10% GST (similar to VAT) makes the final bill somewhat daunting...

Can we import in parts?
Does importing a track-only car still attract the same import duties? (and then adding the road pack on once its here - not even sure if thats possible)

Bit of a newb at all this, apologies...

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 am

Sitting tight is the name of the game mate, Andrew at OWI will keep us up to date as news comes through.
As far as I know, yes, you will have to pay import duty and GST for a track use only car.  These amounts will be less because you are paying a lower amount for the car in the first place.  With no compliance plate and official new car sales status pending, you won't be able to license your car easily if at all, however Perth (W.A.) does seem to be the exception to the rule when it comes to licensing cars in Australia.

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:52 am

Yeah...I have a fair bit of patience luckily  :)

Still, I've been through some of the ADR documentation and licencing for low-volume imports today... the requirements are staggering!

And our exchange rate is just not helping right now either.

How much are the NZ Atoms going for?  I don't have any Atom price list so pretty much in the dark as far as even a ball-park figure goes.

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:14 pm

The answers to your questions lie at the Open Wheeler Imports website - Google and you shall find !

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 am

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:30 am

Bruce reckons you can get 6 in a container.  So flog a few off to cover your costs.

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:03 am

6 sounds about right for a full-length container.

Sounds like OWI won't be providing all specs/ options though.  Probably buying several pre-specced cars at once in a 'bulk buy' to lower the cost from Ariel and provide a fixed spec vehicle to pass Au testing. Estimated 25 cars a year...498 expressions of interest so far.

Might be best to wait abit and see how the 2nd hand market turns out.

If I lived back in the UK, I'd more than likely be hitting someone up for their 220 by now  :D

ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:27 am

25 cars per year.... hmmm :(

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:00 am

Have heard today from a bird on a wire that the Atom might never be road legal here in Au. :( :o

Mainly due to the harsh drive-by noise test.  Apparently the induction noise and exposed engine just don't do the Atom any favours for this particular test, and with the Atom designed the way it is, it may not be possible to modify to suit Australian regulations.

This is a problem for some other kit cars aswell by the looks.

Hoping the boys at OpenWheelers can come up with something and get it through the ADR trsts. I mean, if you can put a Harley on the road that sticks out 15,000 decibels, why not an Atom?

However, since I'm in West Au, and we don't (yet) have a noise test as part of registration (to my knowledge) I might be closer than the eastern states to a successful import from the UK (or from the US).

Slowly building my knowledge, but I'm a newb at all this, never having imported a car myself and all that. :-[
Any and all input appreciated.

samatom

Post by samatom » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:57 am

Well that could just about seal it for the Atom over here, on the roads at least anyway. It would be good if we could get an update from Andy at open wheelers, I'm sure there are people who are doing there best behind the senes at open wheelers working on the compliance issue   
Or if any one can confirm the db level of an Atom.
:-[
Youre right about those tractors though :laugh:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:11 pm

[quote="samatom"]
Or if any one can confirm the db level of an Atom.
[/quote]

Depends on the output, but generally...
Static c.95dB
Drive by c.83dB

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:28 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Depends on the output, but generally...
Static c.95dB
Drive by c.83dB
[/quote]

Cool, thanks for that Bruce!  Do you know what distance that's measured from?

I might look up the ADR requirements on noise.

I know the PRB and Westfields' clubmans all are right on the edge, and they're closed bonnet 1.6L - 1.8L fours doing 160-ish bhp.
However, Perth doesn't have a noise terst yet afaik.  The Eastern states do.  So WA isn't a loss yet, and the OWI boys might have something up their sleeve anyway.