Request input on order options.

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Dave Fellows

Re: Request input on order options.

Post by Dave Fellows » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:08 pm

[quote="silver"]
[quote="Dave Fellows"]
[quote="silver"]
yeah but why would you pay extra for smaller ***edit*** calipers, then take out the pads and put in "street" pads.....why not just save the money of the "upgrade" and go with Willwoods where you don't have to change anything from DAY 1
[/quote]

Who said anything about replacing them with street pads? I'd replace them with the best pads I could buy for the type of driving I'd be doing... If I was doing 75% road use (as Flying Phil indicated) then I'd probably go for something that operates fairly well at a cooler temp but still grips well in hotter temperatures.

Me personally, I don't care about a bit of squeak if the pads are more suitable to the driving I'll be doing (mostly track).
[/quote]

Dave.....to me pads that work well at cooler temps ARE STREET PADS otherwise they'd work at track temps.  and based on my definition, you Bruce and myself recommended the same thing....I were using diff words to describe the exact same thing
[/quote]

Yeah, fair enough. I was more referring to pads that work ok for street use and well on the track. So not a "street" pad as such. I agree that spending the extra on Alcons and fitting straight out street pads would be a waste of $/£.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:20 pm

Are there any durability issues with either set up? I was thinking along the lines of hot brakes driving through puddles on the road and possible shock cooling. Would either set-up be more durable that way?

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:10 pm

For my 2 cents, which is maybe not worth 1 cent:
Get the best brakes the factory can give you. Alcons or Wilwood. If you track it hard and why would you not, you'll be glad you did. On the street, my Alcons are still awsome but get much better warm. Brake squeal? Hell you will likley have helmet and ear plugs anyway.
Get the best suspension set up the factory can give you.
Get the lightest wheels you can get.
Get the best tires.
Get the mosty power you can get (Honda 300)
Remote brake bias is nice, but you can do the same manually and once your set, you don't really mess with it much.
If you will track it, get the five or six point harness. Hans devices need the 5 or 6 point harnesses to keep the belts on right. You might not have one, but after a while it makes sense as the Atom has no crumple zone and coming to a quick stop could be the end of your neck without a Hans or similar.
Factory roll bar is a serious consideration. Ugly, but required by some tracks and a smart idea from a safety point
If it dont make it faster, it's second on the list!
If you still have money left, start ticking off other options like removable steering wheel, 12v adapter (handy) C/F stuff.

Good luck. At the end of the day, it's all good!

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:22 pm

[quote="Flying Phil"]
Are there any durability issues with either set up? I was thinking along the lines of hot brakes driving through puddles on the road and possible shock cooling. Would either set-up be more durable that way?
[/quote]

I now have 4500miles with the alcons and race pads.  No problems on the track, no problems on the street, no problems on the 2700 mile drive to oklahoma with temps 20F to 90F, no problems in the rain or puddles, no problems after washing the car. 

cactus bob

Post by cactus bob » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:29 am

I would add the fire extinguisher option.
It is a totally professional installation, required at some tracks, and your in-laws' Hyundi doesn't have it.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks for your input. I put down my first deposit today ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. I stated the two inch belts, but think that I'll go for the three inch. I use three inch and the Hans device in my rally car, and can attest to their abilities to protect from a 100kph trip over a healthy twenty foot drop. However, shoulder checking with the Hans is almost impossible, so wonder if that will really work on the road. The three inch are a bit of a pain but, as Bruce says, they'll protect you better....you don't really need them, until you need them ;). Also, as stated, I became a member of the club today... I'm just not sure how to get to the members only area. The paypal went through, so figure I must now be a member in good standing :D. Brammo says approx 180 days until delivery, as they have to finish re-tooling, etc. for the Honda powered version, and approx a $5000 premium over the "280" Ecotec. Bill Feagin, the Brammo sales guy, didn't know anything about the change in rear view mirrors, so I've ordered the standard ones, and will make sure the standard are in fact the upgraded ones before final assembly. This is getting exciting....
Last edited by Flying Phil on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:55 pm

Yay! congrats.  :tu: send a PM to bruce and he'll turn on your membership. 

You are the first Brammo "Atom 3" order that we know about I think so keep us updated on any information you get. 

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks Bolus...
Actually, according to Mark Swain (Trak Motorsports - Canadian Brammo distributor sales rep), there is one order ahead of mine...in Canada. That would make three Atoms here, including Chip. Any info I get, you guys will be the first to know ;)
Last edited by Flying Phil on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:05 am

I've been hearing that the new "wind deflectors" are effective... how do they compare to the bubble screen, as far as noise, helmet lift, etc., etc..

Post by 777 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:05 am

Hey Phil,
I guess I'd be the other Canuck who ordered the 3. They cashed my cheque on Nov 5th. Haven't heard much since then. We'll have to keep in touch. Maybe I'll come out to race city for a few days. Definitely going to Atomfest 2008 if the car shows up by then. I'll be interested to see if you can license yours in Alta.
Cheers,
Mike

JoP

Post by JoP » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:30 pm

5. I'm glad I ordered the steering wheel with the gear change lights fitted at the top, which is another option.  I get in and out with no trouble without removing the wheel and I'm a big chap (6' 4" & 18st.)
17. I find the footrest invaluable as it gives your left foot (in my r.h. drive model) somewhere to rest.  Passengers have commented, without any prompting, that they were pleased to have their footrest as it helped under hard braking.

An option you haven't listed is the new, wider, seat option.  Having started with the old standard seat, whilst waiting for the new, slightly, wider model; now that the wider one is fitted I find it much better.  It's lower and my hips don't rub on the seat belt, but I do have a big arse.  Obviously this depends on what size you are.

The 12v. power socket will be necessary if you have a helmet intercom, or want sounds.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:40 pm

I use an intercom in competition, so know the 12V will come in handy. I want to make the car as versatile as possible, so that I can use it as often as possible, which means making it friendly for my wife. An intercom will allow long journeys for the two of us... me driving, and my wife... eh.... chatting :laugh:. I had thought that, in order to make the car suitable for two people to make weekend trips, a removable tow hitch to tow a motorcycle trailer to help carry luggage, etc., might be a good idea, although I don't want to ruin the image of the car ???. Then it could be jettisoned to make day trips. Brammo is still working on options for the car. I don't know if they'll be offering a larger seat, or if I need one (6'2", 200Lbs). They will be offering the wind deflector, apparently, but I don't know the price. I want the most effective way to protect against the wind, and it sounds, from the above posts, as though the deflectors are the way to go. I've asked about the motrax rear view mirrors They said the "standard" mirrors are rectangular, not the old round one's, but it was a bit vague. I'll dig a little deeper.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:49 pm

Mike,
    Spoke to Mark from Trak Motorsports. He said 180 days estimate from time of first deposit to delivery. He said any option questions, or change to our orders, should be phoned or e-mailed to Bill Feagan. Mark  can field them, but it's an extra link in the chain ;).
FMC SPD LNAV VNAV PATH :D
Phil

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Get a confirmed build slot and include in the agreement a 5% per month late delivery penalty clause.

In my case (UK car) the 7 month delay would mean; 7*5% = 35% discount.

JoP

Post by JoP » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:03 pm

Ariel told me when they were designing the wider seat that it was in response for requests from the US!  I'd have thought at your weight you'd be fine with the standard seat (I'm 288lbs, so a little broader), but the wider seat does have a few minor design changes that I prefer.

I had the middle of the 3 bubble heights offered to start with but found, as I'm so tall, that wind pressure at high speeds (>120) pushed the chin shield part of my full-face helmet into contact with my chin at quite a pressure.  At the first (factory) service I had them changed to the tallest bubbles offered and all is now much more comfortable for long journeys.  They difference in looks is minor and don't listen to the those who think bubbles are wimpish - the more comfortable you are the better you'll drive and the more enjoyment you'll get.  I've not tried the new deflectors for the MK.3.  Your best option would be to try out the different types if you're in touch with other owners, to see what suits YOU best.

My Atom had the standard factory (rectangular) mirrors fitted and I initially suffered the same problem as most in that they move out of adjustment at speed and are fitted with flat glass and therefore don't give a very broad angle of view.  The factory sorted the first problem at the service and they haven't moved since.  I intend to try a self-adhesive small fish-eye type mirror stuck to my nearside mirror, to aid my reverse parking, but have yet to fit it.

Good luck with trying to get a penalty agreement!!