Welcome Wisp - new country secretary for New Zealand!

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Alec

Re: Welcome Wisp - new country secretary for New Zealand!

Post by Alec » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:58 am

Well the forum software definitely does some strange things.

I mainly browse the forum from a laptop using Internet Explorer but I am logged on to AOL from my desktop.

I always read my emails through AOL on the desktop and I have just noticed two notifications sent to me regarding PMs sent to me yesterday afternoon.

I didn't get a pop-up telling me that I had new PM messages like I usually do, even though I was on the forum for some time following these being sent to me.

Upon checking the forum just now it did not show any new messages yet these two were there along with all the other PMs that had been read.

This is similar to what happens when pressing the 'Show unread posts since last visit' and the 'Show new replies to your posts' buttons because some topics do not show up as unread.

Some times the only way to find unread posts is to go into each board and thread and look at the name of the last person to post to see if this has changed indicating a new post as the little blue NEW is not present next to the topic title like it should be.

You are not telling me that my AOL software can go into the forum software and delete these notifications as I very much doubt it.

:pop:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:19 am

[quote="Alec"]
Well the forum software definitely does some strange things.

I mainly browse the forum from a laptop using Internet Explorer but I am logged on to AOL from my desktop.

I always read my emails through AOL on the desktop and I have just noticed two notifications sent to me regarding PMs sent to me yesterday afternoon.

I didn't get a pop-up telling me that I had new PM messages like I usually do, even though I was on the forum for some time following these being sent to me.

Upon checking the forum just now it did not show any new messages yet these two were there along with all the other PMs that had been read.

This is similar to what happens when pressing the 'Show unread posts since last visit' and the 'Show new replies to your posts' buttons because some topics do not show up as unread.

Some times the only way to find unread posts is to go into each board and thread and look at the name of the last person to post to see if this has changed indicating a new post as the little blue NEW is not present next to the topic title like it should be.

You are not telling me that my AOL software can go into the forum software and delete these notifications as I very much doubt it.

:pop:
[/quote]

The notification of PM's has gone to pot since the server moved, usually see them on the forum ages before I get the email notice.

If AOL are using cached versions of the forum web site then it could interfere with notifications etc.

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:37 am

[quote="benyeats"]
The notification of PM's has gone to pot since the server moved, usually see them on the forum ages before I get the email notice.

If AOL are using cached versions of the forum web site then it could interfere with notifications etc.

Ben
[/quote]

I don't know if they do use cached versions and wouldn't have a clue how to find out.  ???

I'll just keep looking back like I have been since the upgrade to SMF version 1.1.2 but it didn't happen before this change.

Another point, I don't have this problem on another forum which I use and that one is now on version 1.1.4 so it could be the forum software after all and not AOL.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

jon b

Post by jon b » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Congrats John  :tu:

Not too much  :police:  to your fellow members i hope  ;D

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:50 pm

[quote="Alec"]
I'll just keep looking back like I have been since the upgrade to SMF version 1.1.2 but it didn't happen before this change.

Another point, I don't have this problem on another forum which I use and that one is now on version 1.1.4 so it could be the forum software after all and not AOL.
[/quote]

Apparently the upgrades from SMF 1.1.2 are simple patches and SMF 1.1.3 was released on 24th June 2007 with SMF 1.1.4 being released on 23rd September 2007.

I don't know if they would fix my problem but it does say they fixed some bugs.

ross

Post by ross » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:01 pm

If it was as simple as you think, I'd have done it by now.  I'm not sure why you appear to have so many problems with the forum Alec.

PM notifications will rely on emails getting out of the server, I've not noticed a problem with these myself but as they are emails the time to receipt is obviously beyond the forums control once it's sent them.  I wouldn't be surprised though if the server move had affected that but until I organise moving it somewhere more 'official' I'm inclined not to mess with it at the moment.

Cheers, Ross.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:25 pm

Blame it on the Liverpool water and the diddy men.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:05 pm

The emails get through straight away and the PMs are in my inbox straight away.

It's just that they don't show up as being unread on the AAOC forum whereas they do on the other forum where I haven't had any problems at all.

The same applies to new posts showing up as unread on here as well when again I've never had it happen on the other forum.

The fact that it happens on here with version 1.1.2 but not on the other forum with version 1.1.4 is what made me think that it must be a forum software problem but as I'm not up to speed with IT any more I'll bow to your superior knowledge and just carry on the way I have been doing.

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 pm

[quote="jon b"]
Congrats John  :tu:

Not too much  :police:  to your fellow members i hope  ;D
[/quote]

Goodness no, LOL... he might leave  :laugh:

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:11 am

He might at that...

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:25 pm

[quote="apollyon25"]
He might at that...
[/quote]

I don't believe that for one minute, I mean, who's been keeping you sane during your wait?  ;)

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:53 pm

Alec, I think you were under the mistaken impression I was sane to begin with!

;D

The wait hasnt helped....

Happy Order-day to me, Happy Order-day to me, Happy Order-day dear Jared...
Happy Order-day to me.

One year ago today I sold my soul... all I got for it was a year in waiting room purgatory!

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:03 pm

[quote="apollyon25"]
Alec, I think you were under the mistaken impression I was sane to begin with!

;D

The wait hasnt helped....

Happy Order-day to me, Happy Order-day to me, Happy Order-day dear Jared...
Happy Order-day to me.

One year ago today I sold my soul... all I got for it was a year in waiting room purgatory!

[/quote]

I'll wish you a 'Happy Order-day' in about three hours as it's only just gone past 9:00 pm here.  ;)

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:26 am

Touche...

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:54 am

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="apollyon25"]
[/quote]
I'll wish you a 'Happy Order-day' in about three hours as it's only just gone past 9:00 pm here.  ;)
[/quote]

Oops, missed it as I was watching a film on TV.

'H a p p y  O r d e r - d a y'