Price of used Nomad for sale from factory

marcusjames

Price of used Nomad for sale from factory

Post by marcusjames » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:18 pm

A friend pointed me to Ariel's website and a used 2017 Nomad 235 with 150 miles for £47,000. This is £12k cheaper than the 300 listed below.

I'm a current owner and not in the market for another, but I am shocked by this price, especially from the factory. I would have assumed this would be priced at low £50s. There are so few cars on the market that each one appearing has a strong impact on comparable prices.

This one car could re-set the market down by £5k+ in my view.

Am I wrong?

nfcf

Re: Price of used Nomad for sale from factory

Post by nfcf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:43 pm

Your wrong.

There is a massive price range for new cars from ariel due to the number of options which will be reflected in the second hand market. The two cars aren't comparible if you look at the spec. My understanding is the factory won't sell a second hand car for more than the new price and I suspect that at £47k that car will have cost that new. It also has an odd spec IMO which won't help.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:47 pm

I recently contacted the factory to ask what the resale value of my Nomad may be.

The response was: go through the new build options list and calculate the new price. That's your used price.

Many caveats I am sure, but residuals still seem strong - assuming you have 'options'.

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 am

I wrote on here right before I bought mine that I thought residuals were too high.

The 235 one seems a good spec to me?

The 300 is only compromised by its bilsteins.

I think the main kicker for the 235 is that up to now the gap between 235 & 300 has been too narrow. It's always been the case that the gap has only reflected the cost of retro fitment of supercharger.

That had to change at some point as buyers will just buy a supercharged one.

As miles go on, more get made, and time passes / cars age they will depreciate. That's the harsh reality.

I think the factory are wrong to tell you Karl that it's still worth nigh on new list value.

On the bright side however Karl if you price enjoyment in there's no depreciation. I went out in mine last night for the first time in @6 weeks due to an injury. WOW.

I parked my Lotus Carlton up, and went out in the Nomad.

WHAT A RUSH

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 pm

fesuvious wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 am I wrote on here right before I bought mine that I thought residuals were too high.
Limited number built and long lead time along with no real direct competitors drives the prices up. There is a limited number of buyers but most owners won't be in a rush to sell so they can sit for a while for the right person to turn up.

The 235 one seems a good spec to me?
It's got a winch and mud tyres but no underbody protection which comprises it for both on and off road.

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Based on your response the 235 is priced correctly then.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm

fesuvious wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 am I think the factory are wrong to tell you Karl that it's still worth nigh on new list value.
Just for fun, I used the Price List from the factory and ran through the spec of the £47k 235. It would cost you £46,697.75 if you bought it new from Ariel.

The £60k 300 came out at £61k on the price list / options list.

Of course, there is the sales commissions to pay by the seller, but the resale value (via Ariel at least) is not far from list pricing.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Initial build pricing may work for a year old, very low mileage example but there has to be a point where that doesn't compute.

Ariel sold my 310 Atom 3 and they could only get £38K for me.

This was for a top spec 7 year old s/c car with carbon seats, mudguards, wings etc.

Someone got a bargain!
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Agreed John. I assume that as the Nomads are the 'current model' they are holding a little more.

What is surprising though is that the 2 cars up for sale ATM and mine are 2017 cars - so 3 or thereabouts years old. And still holding in there.

As you say though, it can't last forever...