Bikini Roof Cover

77_TYX

Bikini Roof Cover

Post by 77_TYX » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 am

Don't really want the Nomad to have the full Ariel weather proofing, even without the doors, as I think it ruins the look of the car.

I know a few people have posted up about their own bikini roof cover fabrications...did you use anyone that would be able to recreate what you have or is it something I'll also have to go on my own?

GraemeW

Re: Bikini Roof Cover

Post by GraemeW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 am

Talk to KarlV on here. He will be along soon enough to reply. He had a customised roof covering for his Nomad which looks good and works well

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:53 am

The problem with my one is that I didn't want anything that would 'flap about' or look 'saggy', so I designed it around adding velcro strips to the roof bars. This not only only gives more protection to the bars themselves, but to also gives something to secure the roof to and pull it all in nice and taut.

Anyway, this is what I ended up making - https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&p=289938

I have thought about whether I can reproduce it for other Nomad owners, but I really don't know how well it would perform without the additional strips of velcro (quite flappy and loose I would expect). Sticking 50mm wide strips of velcro to your car isn't everyone's cup of tea ;-)

77_TYX

Post by 77_TYX » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:16 pm

the roof available through Ariel North America looks good but doesn't appear to fasten to the bars above the driver/passenger. As you said, Karl, it would be good to have that area secured and to protect the bars with people getting in/out.

dunny

Post by dunny » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am

Hi 77,
I have the bikini top [for my car!] and it can flap around a bit but it was only ever designed to keep the sun off not the British weather out! Karl has done a sterling job on his 'roof' but it wouldn't work for me because of the way i get into my car.I grab the top rail and launch myself in.Also to be honest i am with you on the open look of the car. It is worth considering Ariels perspex side panels and making some up for the mirror aperture yourself. There is info on the forum somewhere on how to do this probably in excruciating detail!
Main thing though is to get out there and enjoy!
Go Go Go :)
Dunny.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:41 pm

dunny wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am it wouldn't work for me because of the way i get into my car.
Yeah, to be fair [mention]Dunny[/mention], I have had to make some changes to my entry / exit routine ;-)

Getting in.jpg
Getting in.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 1829 times

dunny

Post by dunny » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 am

Karl,
One pud too many at the Winter Warmer mate! :laugh:

77_TYX

Post by 77_TYX » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 am

So I've ordered the US spec bikini roof. $500 and 3wks lead time

dunny

Post by dunny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi,
I have one similar. If you in future put the Ariel light bar on you may have to have an adjustment front dead centre.I got mine adjusted at the local shoe repair shop! Far too clean and shiny for a Nomad :)
D.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Hhhmmmm... I'm not sure that cover was designed with roof bar lights in mind. I distinctly remember having to lop out a section of material in the centre to fit around the light bar bracket.

Is that what you did [mention]dunny[/mention]?

IMG_20190315_200625921.jpg
IMG_20190315_200625921.jpg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 1712 times

dunny

Post by dunny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Cobblers mate,
No really,they stitched it.

dunny

Post by dunny » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:54 am

When it stop's snowing and i can figure out how to do it i w ill post a picture.

dunny

Post by dunny » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 am

Hi 77,
Just a thought,are you thinking of having a snorkel on your car? If so your bikini won't fit quite as well.
dunny.

77_TYX

Post by 77_TYX » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:14 am

Nah, based on how Henry said it's a ballache to fit...the benefit isn't worth the hassle imo.

mudnomad

Post by mudnomad » Wed May 08, 2019 2:25 pm

This American option is truly just to block SOME of the sun. Useless for any rain, you might as well not have any.

I love my roof, is easily removable even from inside of the car, it stows very well behind the roof lights, it protects from rain seeping in across the whole length of the roof in the front.

As for getting in - it's all about muscle memory, now it's natural and without the roof is the "strange" way.

I could ask how much would it be to replicate, I'm GUESSING less than $500 but most likely price depends on the numbers. The cool thing is, the company that did it for me can do it in many different colours.