New Gadget

Lighty

New Gadget

Post by Lighty » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:42 pm

I have done a few longish trips in the Nomad recently , and have got fed up of wearing foam earplugs.
I find that even with these, the noise gets wearing after a couple of hours .
So I started looking at a few intercoms, so that I can talk easily to my passenger, and prob take the odd phone call (completely impossible atm).
Anyway, as with all these things, decent stuff costs, so you start looking at £100 stuff & then your away :roflp:
Having talked to a few other folk, seems that if you get poor quality or old style stuff, you will need to have it so loud, that you risk damaging your hearing.
So after much thought & research, I ended up with a Stilo DG10 & the Wrc road headsets.
Simple enough to fit, just a live & earth connection , bobs your uncle.
Now things have come on a bit as I once had a bike intercom , it was still pricey & totally rubbish, only used it once.
However this Stilo kit uses digital tec with 3 levels of noise suppression, and it is unreal.
You can hear the engine, talk in a normal voice, no matter how fast you are going & listen to music all at the same time.
I am very pleased with it and would highly recommend it to anyone with an Ariel of any kind.
You do look like you just came off the F1 pitwall though :laugh:

Off to Wales this weekend , so will be very useful as this is a fair trip for us.

Hedge

Re: New Gadget

Post by Hedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:09 am

I'm all over that like a cheap suit.

(hurriedly goes off to search on t'internet......).

Thanks.

Cheers,
Hedge

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 am

There's another nigh-on 800 notes spunked, then.

Ace.

Cheers,
Hedge

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 am

Yes indeed, I purchased from Nicky Grist motorsport & the very helpful guy there gave me a bit of a discount .
If you do t ask eh ^-^

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:39 am

Noooooooo?

What's his name? I'll bell him later. Shall quote the Ariel Club discount. Or summat ;)

Cheers,
Hedge

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 am

I didn’t get a name, just asked if he could do me a deal as I was buying all 3 things from them . If you tell him a guy with a Nomad recommended you !

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:34 am

Lighty/Hedge

Stilo DG10 is a nice bit of kit - but it is important to reaslise that it is NOT waterproof so some means of effectively protecting it from the rain/puddles would need to be devised for use in a Nomad or Atom.

However it is worth pointing out that Stilo do make fully waterproof (pricey) intercoms for offshore powerboats :

http://www.rallyshop.it/index.php?main_ ... 3110vep8g4
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:40 pm

That’s dull. Very dull.

Cheers,
Hedge

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am

Could be 800 sheets, wasted, then! Unless Ariel can somehow make it waterproof....

DOH.

Cheers,
Hedge

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I may fit mine under the dashboard & not use the headphones in the rain.
I am sure there will be a solution .
I almost forgot it rained in the uk ;D

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am

Having added my tuppence worth to this thread I was extremely surprised, when totally coincidentally and unasked for, a Stilo DG10 Intercom plus 2 WRC headsets turned up in the post on my birthday a couple of weeks ago - bought extremely unexpectedly for me by my sons!

This then presented me with the conundrum of how and where to fit it to my Atom - the most irritating thing about this extremely well made and effective Italian intercom is that Stilo provides no template or dimensional diagram to help build a mount.

So I emailed them and they have now provided me with a dimensional drawing which, for any of you who have acquired a Stilo DG10 may help you build a suitable mount?

I have attached the both the technical dimensions drawing and also the Control panel function layout
Attachments
AB0500-DG-10-Control-Panel.pdf
(388.56 KiB) Downloaded 5564 times
ingombro_DG10_r2.pdf
(157.74 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:03 am

Lighty

I have just finished making a bracket (angled aluminium) for my Stilo DG-10 intercom that I intend to mount just to the rear of my Atom's gear lever - next I need to take out the seats to be able to get at the underside of the seats so as to bolt mount the new bracket securely.

- the actual Stilo DG-10 head unit will be attached to the bracket using velcro so it can be removed easily, both for security and should it rain (I have also purchased a suitable sized waterproof bag to pop it into and stow under the seat should it rain while I'm out and about).

However - I have a couple of questions : How have you set up the bluetooth connections?

i.e. Phone paried to SatNav (Rider 550 in my case) then SatNav headset output paired to the Stilo?

If you pair it this way can you play music from your phone via the SatNav to the Stilo or have you paired your phone direct to the stilo?

Do you know if the Stilo can handle more than one Bluetooth pairing simultaneously (SatNav voice directions and also music direct from the phone)?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 am

I have now received a definitive reply from Stilo (Italy) Support to question below :

Da: PC
Oggetto: Stilo DG-10 Intercom

Corpo del messaggio:
Dear Sir

Is my Stilo DG-10 digital intercom control head unit waterproof (or at least water resistant enough) to use in an open car in the rain?

I have installed it in my open Ariel Atom 3.5R and need to know if I should remove it (or cover/protect it) from my Atom if it rains?

PC

=============================================================

Hello,

The DG10 intercom is not designed to be waterproof so we would definitely advice you to cover / protect it

Kind regards

Dott.ssa Sara Ferrari
Sales Department / Team Support

Stilo S.r.L.
Via Carducci, 17
24066 Pedrengo (BG)
Italy
D. +39 035 5785727
Fax: +39 035 691559

Attention:
Starting from October 1st, 2017 our registered offices will move to Viale Regina Margherita, 26 - 20122 Milano.

Our operational head quarters will remain at the same address:
Via G. Carducci, 17 - 24066 Pedrengo (Bg)
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 am

I have now managed to fit the Stilo DG-10 intercom to my Atom

The head unit is attached to the aluminium bracket by high strength velcro

I took the seats out to get at the underside to properly fit the bracket. while the seat was out separated out the rear flying power lead 'push/click' waterproof connector - which in the 3.5R wiring loom is located behind the seats - and routed it forwards towards the gear lever (with a Y connector added so I can power both the Stilo and a GoPro camera at the same time) to emerge out of the front of the passenger's right side seatbelt aperture.

The headset wires follow the same path as the power supply lead except they run backwards to dangle out of the right side of each seat top apperture (the headset microphones are both on the right)

Waterproofing : Underneath the bracket you can see a ziplock plastic bag (it has a dry microfibre cloth in it to bulk it out so the friction keeps it there) - this is just in case it rains!

If it rains my plan is to just pull the DG-10 head unit off the velcro mount and stick it in the ziplock back and ziplock it with the 3 wires hanging out of the corner - the head unit buttons should still be operable through the plastic ziplock bag?
Attachments
IMG_20180912_121630 (800x600).jpg
IMG_20180912_121630 (800x600).jpg (385.78 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
IMG_20180912_121653 (800x600).jpg
IMG_20180912_121653 (800x600).jpg (383.82 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Doing a charity rally on Sunday so having obtained the roadbook and used MyRoute Gold App (Desktop) to plan the route.

Discovered that there is a beta upload facility to TomTom's MyDrive cloud in MyRoute Gold so uploaded it to my TomTom MyDrive account - went outside to move my Atom and discovered that the planned route was already ensconced in the 'My Routes' folder in my Rider 550!

- TomTom MyDrive cloud had almost instantly downloaded the planned route direct to my TomTom via wi-fi from my home network - BRILLIANT!!

My Rider 550 (which is locked to my Atom) happily updates itself whenever necessary as soon as it can 'see' my home wi-fi network!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)