Nomad ownership 15 months in

Lighty

Nomad ownership 15 months in

Post by Lighty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Ok, so I’ve owned my Nomad since March 17, and it seems even longer as the car was about 18 months in the making.
I visited Ariel in about nov 15, to take a test drive & get a look around.
I thought the n/a demo (all that was made back then) was a bit slow.
I have always had quick cars, so don’t be put off.
Shortly after my visit, the s/c version was announced, so I new I had to have that one despite the costs.
Anyway fast forward to 2017 and the car is ready, probably cost about £20k more than I had originally planned, but what the heck, always happens on Grand designs :laugh:
Caught the train from Derby to Taunton & waiting for me was this beauty, I was blown away ❤️
Even though it was March , the weather was superb.
My son & I had a wonderful weekend driving through wales & back to Derby, we completed about 400 miles.
The car was off to Isle of Man in May, so I quickly got the miles up to about 800 for the run in service & we had a superb weekend on the Island & a little off road.
This is our group opening the mountain course, before the TT
The car is fab on road, most fun at not too stupid speeds.
I have become an expert at managing the use of the car in all weathers.
Rain is a total pita, once you have puddles on the road, you get completely drenched, I once had the foot wells half full with water & the passenger seat full of water.
I have added my own plexi glass side panels & these make the car much warmer and 300% less windy. At the moment in this really hot weather or above say 22degrees, they are best removed.
When in traffic, you get fried in the car, eyes are fixed on the temp gauge reaching 94 degrees & a blast of hot air from the fan warms you up just in case you were getting chilly :doh:
I met a friend in Elvedon forest area for a weekend in October last year & we had a fun day green laning. There are so many tracks around there you can drive for hours.
The S/C car is so powerful, that off road you need a fair bit of restraint as its performance soon exceeds your talent :vroom:
Cleaning the car took a whole weeks worth of my spare time after this day, seats out , wheels off etc etc.

Shortly after this day my final use of the car for 2017 was at a track day at Donnington.
I have plenty of track experience over the years , & can honestly say it was the best track day I ever experienced.
We were not the fastest on the circuit, but had way more fun than everyone else & my sides hurt with laughing at the end of the day.
The car is such a lot of fun & we were taking craners flat out at about 110 mph and just throwing it into the bottom corner on full,opposite lock ;D
Pretty much destroyed a set of tyres on that day >:D
The car went away for the winter in my garage & what a long winter we had :faint:
Once we had a glimmer of sunshine , I was back out again & had a little excursion due to my winter lack of driving, after all of you don’t crash occasionally, you aren’t going fast enough :roflp:
I have no idea how we managed to get the car out of that ditch, my wife’s Dacia duster came to the rescue .
The ironic thing was that I just had a Warn winch delivered that week, but hadn’t fitted it yet :td:
I have now fitted the winch, should have specced it at the start, but it was fun fitting it on .
Henry & the guys at Ariel were most helpful with this & sent me a load of info & pictures of how to do the job.
It helps that I run a garage, so have all the required tools etc, it’s not exactly a diy job.
Anyway, bad bits about the car.
The heater is rubbish, non existent in the cold & red hot when it’s hot (joke )
The steering lock is horrendous , I use the skid brake for tight turns where possible.
The car is very wide same as my F10 M5, so you have to take care on country lanes, for oncoming traffic.
Fuel consumption is the worst of any car I have owned except my Mitsubishi Evo a few years back.i just did 205 miles this weekend on the road & it did 16.8 mpg :embarassed: I do go quite fast though :-[
To summarise then, obviously I love it, for all its many faults.
Can’t imagine I will ever sell it, it’s the only car I will just go out & drive for fun, and I have some good cars.
Hope I haven’t bored you all , one last pic ;D

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Nomad ownership 15 months in

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 am

Great story and photos!

Seems you're enjoying it ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

thomas_fr

Post by thomas_fr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:14 am

:drool:

A Nomad seems very desirable >:D

Enjoy !

dunny

Post by dunny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 am

Hi,
excellent choice in colour,exuberant driving style,large overspend,stuck in the muck,pound for pound best car on the road or off!!!
nice post.
Dunny

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 am

Mega write up. I shall be doing something sim, in time, hopefully!..

Do you wish you'd bought the canvas covering shizzle? I'm minded to get the roof part but Ariel won't sell that in silo, only along with the rest of the cabin protection stuff (which I think looks gash).

Cheers,
Hedge

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 am Great story and photos!

Seems you're enjoying it ..
Yes I certainly am enjoying it more each week >:D
dunny wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 am Hi,
excellent choice in colour,exuberant driving style,large overspend,stuck in the muck,pound for pound best car on the road or off!!!
nice post.
Dunny
Thanks, you are so right, I have some other great cars, but this one is the best fun ever !
Hedge wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 am Mega write up. I shall be doing something sim, in time, hopefully!..

Do you wish you'd bought the canvas covering shizzle? I'm minded to get the roof part but Ariel won't sell that in silo, only along with the rest of the cabin protection stuff (which I think looks gash).

Cheers,
Hedge
Look forward to hearing your 1st write up.
I have no desire for the canvas cover, completely changes the whole aspect of the vehicle for me.
You also can’t have the cover if you have the eyelets on the chassis for the side panels.
I may get a canvas roof cover made up, but the biggest water inlet is the sides of the windscreen where there is a big gap.
Got my eye out for a large T section of rubber to fill this gap.
Water pours onto your lap in the rain.

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:51 pm

thomas_fr wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:14 am :drool:

A Nomad seems very desirable >:D

Enjoy !
Didn’t mean to miss you out, multiquote is tricky on here ::)
Totally pointless car, but as you say desirable :tu:

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 am

Mr L,

Would you have a template for the mirror section, maybe? I'm minded to try & resolve this before I pick the old girl up in August, that's all. As my chassis is a dark colour, the zip ties shouldn't show too much, either.

I'm also going to see how the issue with water pouring in by the side of the windscreens can be sorted. In all my hours of studying, I can see this is commonly recurring thang.

Cheers,
Hedge

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 pm

I don’t think my triangle is worthy of copying tbh, it doesn’t fit amazingly well.
You can quickly knock one up using a piece of cardboard in the hole and trimming till you get the desired fit.
Cutting the sheets is the hardest part, I kept scoring it with a Stanley knife until I could snap it off.
I may do them again in the winter until I get a better fit, tbh they look ok & are functional.
The look may be improved with some edging rubber around them, I have a long strip of this now that I purchased off eBay .

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 pm

Hey Lighty.

Just curious... Did you make any progress with some kind of seal around the windscreen?

I've had an idea or two, but wondered if there's a tried and tested solution out there.

Cheers.

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:05 pm

Lighty, Karl
I picked up my Nomad yesterday. Took the plunge after 6 years of Atom ownership. I will post initial thoughts up in a separate post once had the first service next week and done a few hundred more miles.

Love the car. That’s first statement. The biggest BUT is rain. I had a 4 hour trek home today and got drenched to the undercrackers. Much worse it seems than the Atom in reasonably heavy rain.
The crack by side of the windscreen is a culprit and drenches your legs; but as bad, is the very back outside edge of the windscreen ledge, where water pooled and then was blown straight into my face. And onto the inside of the windscreen.

Just wondered whether you chaps, or any other Nomad owners, had found a solution for these two areas to improve. As it ended up taking the shine off some of the journey

Cheers and thanks fellas
Mark

DB Atom

Post by DB Atom » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 pm

fb.george wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:05 pm Lighty, Karl
I picked up my Nomad yesterday. Took the plunge after 6 years of Atom ownership. I will post initial thoughts up in a separate post once had the first service next week and done a few hundred more miles.

Love the car. That’s first statement. The biggest BUT is rain. I had a 4 hour trek home today and got drenched to the undercrackers. Much worse it seems than the Atom in reasonably heavy rain.
The crack by side of the windscreen is a culprit and drenches your legs; but as bad, is the very back outside edge of the windscreen ledge, where water pooled and then was blown straight into my face. And onto the inside of the windscreen.

Just wondered whether you chaps, or any other Nomad owners, had found a solution for these two areas to improve. As it ended up taking the shine off some of the journey

Cheers and thanks fellas
Mark
Think I heard you say to Steve just before you set off, "it was a shame it wasn't going to stay all nice and shiny". Have fun :tu:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:21 pm

[mention]fb.george[/mention], of all the mods I have subjected the car to, I can honestly say that this one has had the most positive impact - https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic. ... ch#p288960

In normal road traffic, I found that when stopped, water would pool up on the bonnet and work its way up when accelerating. Also, a wipe of the windscreen when going slow would send water down to the same area. I do hate soggy socks!

At A303 speeds though, I found that the triangle opening around the wing mirrors does dampen the face. I thought I would end up filling this gap - as discussed at https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17087

But in reality I don't really drive the car at 70 mph on a regular basis, so this became less of an issue for me once I was off the A303.

Not sure if that helps or not...

Are you able to post pics of where rain was 'getting in' around the windscreen? I'm not sure I follow the gaps you are describing.

Anywho - welcome to Nomad ownership. Whereabouts are you based?

Karl.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:45 am

Welcome to the Nomad group !

I assume you mean the gap between windscreen and chassis bar ? When you use the wipers it pushes the water down that and onto your trousers ! I figure if i am going on a run when rain may be likely I will just put gaffer tape on the gap.....

T

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Karl, Trigger
1250 miles down. Will do a new owner post soon.
But to my questions
- wet feet: Karl that’s exactly the area I meant and your solution looks good. Will try it. As a work around, I bought sealskinz waterproof socks and used walking gaiters and feet were dry as a bone.
- rain in the face: at the factory yesterday for first service, they knocked up a Perspex triangle for the offside quarterlight. Worked a treat and stopped the pooling of water on the dash area which was then blown in the face.
Loving the car. Thanks for responses
Am based in Cumbria
All the best
Mark