New Nomad pickup !

Trigger

New Nomad pickup !

Post by Trigger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 pm

So the day finally arrived and I went down to Crewkerne for my 4th Ariel ! My son and I took the train.....seemed interminable !
file (2).jpeg
file (2).jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1162 times
Very casual handover - with an audience of Porsche and Ferrari drivers on a factory tour ! First issue - how to get in looking stylish...my agile 19 yr son was easy but I was not so simple...but legs in and swing on the arms and voila !

Quick idea on spec - its Supercharged, with Bilstein adjustable suspension, on 18 inch all terrain tyres, with fly handbrake, light bar. A few other bits but kept it respectable(ish) !
file1 (2).jpeg
file1 (2).jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1162 times
file2 (2).jpeg
file2 (2).jpeg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1162 times
After 3 Atoms (2 supercharged) I wasnt too intimated but as Hedge said the other day there is a lot more body work to look through - and the drive is very different. A long blast up the A303 gives you a very quick feel to the car. The Supercharger only really comes at 4000 rpm so you can drive on the torque very easily. 6th gear is quite long and so a quick change to 5th at times makes it more fun ! Everybody wants to look - cars constantly coming along side - I had forgotten the fascination it creates.

At motorway speeds there is a lot of wind still coming in even with a windscreen - I knew it would be exposed but not that much tbh. I may look at the side screens as alot of the air is coming up underneath the dash. Sunglasses only is ok but after 2.5 hrs my eyes were sore.

The suspension set on 5 is very easy to drive - so much more comfortable than the Atom ! Small road imperfections are hardly noticeable. I havent played with it at all yet but will start on that soon.

The real fun starts when you drop down the gears and take the engine past 4000.....then the sc whine starts and all hell breaks loose - its AWESOME. Unlike the Atom it kinda squats a touch and then launches. It really doesnt feel much slower than the Atoms but it I am sure is. When pushing on the car needs working as it will move around. Unlike Atoms where they stay flat until letting go, these Nomads move a bit and seem to wander more. What you dont get is thrown off track by lumps and bumps - I can go at 70mph down some roads that my C63 needs to be doing half that speed or else you are thrown too much around.

A long left hander up a slip road was interesting - push faster and faster and body rolls, but not massively, and slowly the rear started edging out - I didnt push further as it was first day but seemed very manageable.

So back home and feeling very lucky:
Nomad Home.jpeg
Nomad Home.jpeg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 1162 times
Loves: The supercharger, comfort, easy of driving at normal speeds, the looks and the flexibility.
Slight dislikes: Still alot of wind comes through and either side panels or helmet needed for longer trips - thats about it !

Cant wait to track it etc - gonna be a fun summer.

Thanks to the factory - in particular Henry of course, and also Steve for all their help - great bunch and love the crew.

See you all at the summer BBQ !!

Trigger

Hedge

Re: New Nomad pickup !

Post by Hedge » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:43 am

Nice write up, Trig.

Cheers,
Hedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Excellent news Trigger. Looking forward to seeing it next at MSG!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:30 am

Trig,

Now you've finally got the car, is there anything you wished you'd got - or anything you wish you hadn't?!

Mine's gone into build this week so it's not too late for me, were I to change my mind about certain stuff.

Cheers,
Hedge

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 am

Well, I havent done enough yet to really know but there are a few things i would say.

Fly handbrake - awesome fun - definitely recommend it.

I will have side panels fitted next time at the factory - the wind tends to come through that area straight up into your face.

Light bar - happy I specced it - both amusing to flash people but gives a serious amount of light - quite the opposite of Atom night driving !!

Personally happy not having spare wheel on back as I prefer the look without.

I am wondering with off road events potentially coming if I should have added some under body protection - that's to be seen.
The only other debate is on suspension and tyres. I would recommend the best suspension anybody can afford - the Bilsteins are great so far but I imagine the Ohlins may have more range (alot more cash tho). On tyres i had specced with AD08s and due to a touch of confusion I ended up on the All terrains. Actually not complaining as they are superb on the road - good grip but you can play around with them. On track I imagine they will over heat and so i now need to debate what to do but I am doing bedford in July for a bit of a testing session si will know then.

Thats my first impressions anyway.

T

dunny

Post by dunny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Trigger
I had the side panels fitted and they help a lot.The winch mounting bar not only looks good but has to help protect the front fan a bit.As you know i have the spare wheel option but i don't know how i would change it because the car does not come with a jack!! I have a can of foam that just fit's in the "boot" just in case.Make sure it works up to 18". Fantastic car Trig,i adore mine.
Cheers,
Dunny

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 am

Whereabouts do you two (Trigger & Dunny) live? Though I'm in St. Albans, I spend most of my (spare) time nr Haslemere.

Cheers,
Hedge

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am

Down near Dorking, Surrey.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 am

Ok, so that's less than an hour away from where the Nomad should be most of the time, cool.

Cheers,
Hedge

dunny

Post by dunny » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 am

Hi,
I live at Dunbar just short of Edinburgh! definitely more than an hour away.I haven't seen a Nomad on the road since i got mine but i guess that will change at the BBQ.In retrospect the only thing i should have had fitted on the car was the heated windscreen.Mine froze up solid last winter although it was minus 8! Looking forwards to bouncing across Salisbury Plain.
dunny.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Nice write up Trigger!

Mine is due the week after next - sadly not in time for MSG.

I'll be hanging out near Reigate. Maybe see you around...

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Hey Karl - yes indeed ! I haven’t even seen another one on the road.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:13 am

Mine arrives Aug 3rd; shall endeavour to meet up sometime..

Cheers,
Hedge

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 am

Really very pleased you are happy with it!

See you a the Barbie at the weekend :tu:

(ps, you will make it round the off road with no underbody protection, BUT you have to be MEGA, MEGA careful. straddling all the ruts etc.