Top Box ideas... anyone got any?

RigidCollosion

Top Box ideas... anyone got any?

Post by RigidCollosion » Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 am

Hi guys,
Taking delivery of my Nomad soon (days/weeks vs months/year). I was thinking of utilising the spare wheel carrier in conjunction with a top box to make a 'boot' for a road trip. I can see that some people have already modified the carrier for motorcycle top boxes.
Has anyone explore the option of using a quad bike front cargo box or back cargo box?
There seems to be a plethora of sizes and shapes out there.

Regards

Hedge

Re: Top Box ideas... anyone got any?

Post by Hedge » Mon May 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Personally, the ones I've seen are ingenious - but not really for me. Were I to really need the extra space of a box, I'd probably go for those soft bags you hang off the side, but each to their own.

I guess there is a weight issue to bear in mind, too. I don't know how they drive without that weight there. I think Art's (MUDNOMAD) one is positioned that wee bit further back; that must affect the handling, I'd have thought.

Cheers,
Hedge

RigidCollosion

Post by RigidCollosion » Mon May 14, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm thinking instead of spare wheel rather than Art's option of moving the wheel back. I think his idea is Ok but by his own admission the weight of the wheel that far back changes the handling. Nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't catch you out. :tu:

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm with Hedge tbh - Not sure I feel the need for the extra luggage and if I do then i'll strap soft bags on. I did a 10 day Alps tour in the Atom with no more than 1 soft bag.....

dunny

Post by dunny » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 am

Hi rig
If you speak nicely to Henry at Ariel he can supply you with a spare wheel carrier minus the pylon [sticky up bit that you spare fixes on to] then you can bolt on whatever you want.Personally i went full safari mode and went for a NATO grade aluminium box from protective cases .com.I went for the defender model.measure carefully grasshopper!
PS.you can buy waterproof bags that can slide under your seats.Handy for a spare pair of underpants.....

RigidCollosion

Post by RigidCollosion » Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi Dunny,
Just the info I needed. I have no spare wheel on mine so for pottering about and having 'somewhere' half secure to put steering wheel or a small bag whilst I wonder off for a few minutes/hours would be great, especially if I am on my own. I see the point of soft luggage shackled to the frame for big road trips but for days out and just to go cruising a lock-box would be pretty handy.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 am

There's actually a fair bit of room under the Nomad seats. Soft shizzle only, though, obviously.

No spare wheel? I toyed with that but decided it simply looked better with one. Yes, I'm that shallow :)

Cheers,
Hedge

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 am

It does look better I agree with the spare....but I went without due to weight in the end.

May regret it - we will see.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat May 19, 2018 10:50 am

I opted for the GIVI Trekker box. Waterproof, lockable and removable.

I also didn't want anything taller than where the spare wheel sits 'cos the top of the wheel lines up nicely with the roof bars.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16987

RigidCollosion

Post by RigidCollosion » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi,
I saw your thread on that top box. I am looking for a slim box that fills the void where a wheel would go. I am thinking slim lockable ATV/Quad bike front box. Need to know measurements first though!

P.S. Nomad with spare does look 'purposeful'. Shallow or not, we would all do it for the look alone!

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 am

RigidCollosion wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pmNomad with spare does look 'purposeful'. Shallow or not, we would all do it for the look alone!
The difference in weight is a big thing, though (assuming the box isn't constantly full & heavy). A Nomad may not be as light as an Atom but they're still extremely light, so a spare wheel + tyre is always going to blunt performance a wee bit.

Me? I'm such a tart I've ticked that option box since I think it simply looks better with one :pop:

Cheers,
Hedge

StephenCM

Post by StephenCM » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:08 pm

I cut off the top of the spare wheel carrier to create a flat platform and then mounted a Givi Outback top Box with about 130L capacity. Have done about 6k miles with it on some long trips and its ideal for what I need. Plenty of capacity for 3 weeks travel. Will send more pics if you want.
Attachments
IMG_5303.jpg
IMG_5303.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 1629 times

RigidCollosion

Post by RigidCollosion » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi,
Would love to see some more pics!

StephenCM

Post by StephenCM » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Will get on to that over the next day or so.