Nomad Insurance

Trigger

Nomad Insurance

Post by Trigger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:24 am

With my Nomad almost here I was wondering if you Nomad Owners use any particular Insurance company ? I have read the threads about Atom insurance but do you just use the same companies ?

I have got a quote for me and my wife at £665 including 5 Uk trackdays. It seemed ok tbh. I assume the car isnt insured when off roading though.

Any info ?

Trigger

Gyro_Craig

Re: Nomad Insurance

Post by Gyro_Craig » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi Trigger. I got my insurance for my Nomad from A Plan in Thatcham. I am paying a similar amount to what you have been quoted for me only. My policy includes 5 track days per year for which I must notify them at least 24 hours before attending the track day.

Regarding off road - my assumption is I am covered but must admit I didn’t check that.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:52 am

I'd check whether you're covered off road, quickly. Very quickly!

I seriously doubt you are. I'm assuming I won't be, come the time.

Cheers,
Hedge

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Trigger,

If you are on a Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) (red or green crosses depending on OS maps scale) or one of the little white roads with red (or green, depending on OS maps scale) you are on a public highway, so your insurance, tax and MOT are still applicable. To drive these roads you must have all three in place, just like an A or B road.

It might be one of things that if you ask them about insurance whilst on a Green Road (apparently this is the technical term according to the Green Lane Asscociation) you might find they try to write something in that you wont be insured, or that it will cost you extra...

Certainly for my defender that i use on 'Green Roads' alot, I haven't notified them... plus if I wreck it on a green lane i usually just suck it and repair it. Although it should be nigh on impossible to have a massive smash on a green road as you cant go that quickly, most of them are too rough (even for my challenge truck) to do more than 20-30mph.

If you are off a public highway, your / a farmer's / a friend's field, you won't be insured. Likewise for a Pay n Play site.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:16 am

Just for interest I eventually insured with A Plan - £540 with 5000 miles per annum and not incl any trackdays - extra £250 if i want to include 5. Most others were quoting £700-800 level (and although poss cheaper, I will never use REIS after previous issues with them back with an Atom.).

I had used Henderson Taylor as they insured my Atoms - cost £656 incl 4 trackdays BUT they came back after initially taking the money needing more cash as the underwriters wanted to change it to a Kit car policy - taking up to £1050 !!!! Daft.

I checked off road insurance and he didnt have a clue !! Off road events were not insured but driving down green lanes/BOATs he couldnt see a reason why not but would have to check !!

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Trigger wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:16 am I checked off road insurance and he didnt have a clue !! Off road events were not insured but driving down green lanes/BOATs he couldnt see a reason why not but would have to check !!
Trigger, surely a BOAT is no different to a normal road? It's all public highway? AA man might not see it that way though! :fence:
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Yes agreed - but thought I would ask as Insurance companies are such crooks they try and wiggle on everything.